Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Factory ammo chrony results

Yeah I probably should reload don't have a lot of spare time though ,.when I get some I like to go out for a hunt or get the boat out

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    It's a expensive business buying a box of everything trying to find out what a rifle wants
    Don't Gunworks do 15 projectile sample packs of most types?

Re read my own reply. I've never cronographed a selection of factory ammo before so find your results quite interesting and a bit suprising actually. Aside from chronograph accepted variances, I Probably understated my own penance for standard deviation in velocity if you are indeed wanting to test yours and your rifles capability at distance. Personally the velocity spread (150fps) of the Hornday your going with wouldn't be 'kosher' for me, that sort spread will be a pretty big deal down range when it comes to elevation. I'd keep searching if I were in your shoes. It's all practice mate. Yeah it costs, But it's fun too...

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

I had thought that maybe the first reading may be effected my the change in bullet composition sst was the last lot I tried.
    Is that a thing?
    This bulistic stuff is complicated Haha

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Don't Gunworks do 15 projectile sample packs of most types?
    Yep they do for bullets but not for factory loaded ammo.
    bumblefoot likes this.

il buy a reloading kit on the weekend.
    are the lee ones ok?

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    il buy a reloading kit on the weekend.
    are the lee ones ok?
    My standard answer for this question is: Are you likely to be reloading for quite a few years, or are you testing the waters to see if it is for you?

If the answer is the latter, then the Lee kit is Okay. I found the scales a bit shonky - the beam would sometimes stick on the pivot - potentially dangerous.

If you know it's going to be a long term thing then buy a really good press and a good set of beam scales. Then spend a few bucks on the basic accessories (chamfer tool, loading tray, etc). Add die set and appropriate shellholder (Lee sets often include one) and away you go. You'll add other bits and pieces if you really get into it.

Or like someone suggested, get friendly with someone who is experienced and you'll learn loads. Or at least whether it's something you'll enjoy doing.
    gadgetman likes this.

Have used a Lee Challenger Press kit since mid 80's for .308 and .223. Still going well,just don't expect to do high volume reloading in a short time.
    Getting back to factory ammo, use whatever shoots most accurately in your rifle.In your case the Remington even though the Federal had the better extreme spread figures for velocity. Speed/range isn't everything,accuracy is. If target is too far away for ammo, get closer. That's what hunting is about.

Cheers guys , I think I may have found one of those friendly reloaders. so things are looking up hopefully get some dies on the weekend and crack into on his press, il let you know how I get on.
    Anyone got a got a good load for 708 bush pig?