Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: "Feather in my hat" 308win Featherweight load development

So after almost selling this rifle it ended up being the only 1 I have kept other than my .22
    Was swapping out the scope this morning from a Monarch 2.5-8 to a Monarch 3 3-12× to make this rifle more of an all rounder rather than a dedicated light bush rifle.....soon as I sat the rifle in the gun vice I noticed the scope seemed loose.....closer inspection revealed the weaver base screws had worked them selves nearly all the way out have to wonder if this has been the prime cause of my struggle to find consistent accuracy highly likely I'd say
    Have added some blue loktite and re torqued the bases, guess next trip to the range will reveal all
    BRADS likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Of course the other very real and valid concern is, is the load I developed still gonna shoot sub moa or was it a fluke both times won't know till I get to the range next time
    matagouri likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I feel your pain. I've had the same issue with a certain 308... Blue Loctite, 3 ugga duggas of torque later and the problem magically went away
    dannyb likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    So after almost selling this rifle it ended up being the only 1 I have kept other than my .22
    Was swapping out the scope this morning from a Monarch 2.5-8 to a Monarch 3 3-12× to make this rifle more of an all rounder rather than a dedicated light bush rifle.....soon as I sat the rifle in the gun vice I noticed the scope seemed loose.....closer inspection revealed the weaver base screws had worked them selves nearly all the way out have to wonder if this has been the prime cause of my struggle to find consistent accuracy highly likely I'd say
    Have added some blue loktite and re torqued the bases, guess next trip to the range will reveal all
    I seem to recall on more than one occasion suggesting this needs checked as part of initial checks,I got caught out with it twice in short order,strangely enough both times after having suppressor fitted...and one of those was my old model 70..... went from 3-4" back to sub inch again.
    dannyb likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I seem to recall on more than one occasion suggesting this needs checked as part of initial checks,I got caught out with it twice in short order,strangely enough both times after having suppressor fitted...and one of those was my old model 70..... went from 3-4" back to sub inch again.
    Yup, amazing how many times the simplest thing turns out to be the problem
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I feel a photo of clover leaf groups coming some time in very near future..... AND if really lucky will see a group wit hmany different loads chucked into it......be REALLY interesting to see if it behaves as mine used to do...
    dannyb likes this.

I feel a photo of clover leaf groups coming some time in very near future..... AND if really lucky will see a group wit hmany different loads chucked into it......be REALLY interesting to see if it behaves as mine used to do...
    Fingers crossed, just need the weather to cut me a break either Gail force winds or pissing down every time I have a day off lately
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

@dannyb you been back to the range yet? Pretty keen to see if your accuracy issues cleared themselves up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    @dannyb you been back to the range yet? Pretty keen to see if your accuracy issues cleared themselves up yet?
    Not yet been working night shift hopefully this weekend
    #DANNYCENT

Hmmpffff !!!! Shot 3 x 3 round groups with the featherweight today average group size was a honest 1.5" E.S was 14.2 average velocity was 2581fps poi was consistent if anything there was more horizontal spread than anything else I would put that down to the trigger being heavier than I'm used to.
    Will call it a 300y load for now, not gonna fiddle any further till I can get it bedded and get the trigger a wee bit lighter.
    It's probably not bad for what it is but it's frustrating knowing I can do much much better.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Trigger is a ten minute adjustment with two tiny spanners and flat blade screwdriver.mine would be safe down to stupidly light but found 3lbish best
    dannyb likes this.

Trigger is a ten minute adjustment with two tiny spanners and flat blade screwdriver.mine would be safe down to stupidly light but found 3lbish best
    I prefer mine 2lb or less but that's just my preference. I'll adjust it when I have it out the stock for bedding, currently it's sighted in so it'll do for now, fine for minute of deer shoulder out to 3-400 yards
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT