Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: "Feather in my hat" 308win Featherweight load development

Cool "Feather in my hat" 308win Featherweight load development

With the Finnbear all but sorted, I prepped up some Sako 308win brass for my crush from Connecticut my Winchester Featherweight I have lusted after one of these gorgeous rifles since first laying eyes on one when @Ryan_Songhurst showed me a 270win version (i think it was a Jack O'Conner limited edition version) for reference i totally blame you Ryan
    Anyway I'd love to have one in 30-06 controlled round feed but one cannot be fussy about these things and when a beautiful 308win push feed came up for a sharp price i couldn't resist.
    It took a few weeks to get the planets to align to finally get her home but finally she's in my hands and I'm even more stoked after holding it and seeing it in person.
    It's no collector piece but in good used condition.
    Anyway i could rabbit on for ages but this is a load development thread

Name:  IMG-20230630-WA0002.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  691.3 KB

I have decided to try 165gn speer btsp's over ADI2208 in Sako brass, i originally bought these for the BLR but the twist rate was marginal at best, so kept them for future to use in my Lupo 308 if i ran out of it's usual flavour.

Anyway this is not intended to be a long range hunting rifle, I have set in up with Monarch 3 2-8x32 scope for closer action.
    I'm gonna try and get lucky with my load development for this and will start at SAAMI spec with the rounds seated to 2.8" COAL.
    Haven't measured the lands just gonna chuck a charge ladder down range and see what comes
    If it shoots under an inch with good ES with any of my ladder loads I'll call it done.....if not I'll delve into my bag of tricks and tutu a load.
    I already know it likes the 168gn eldm load i shoot in the Lupo as the only group I've shot with it, it shot them into a 1" 3 shot group with a slightly higher velocity than the Lupo, whilst still maintaining a good ES of about 12fps (granted only over 3 rounds).
    I spent the last couple days annealing, prepping and loading my cases so hopefully the weather is suitable tomorrow and i can get into it.

Name:  20230712_143252.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  IMG-20230712-WA0004.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  164.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #DANNYCENT

Good luck with those 165 spbt, I believe there are one or more packets in my box somewhere. They used to be the right price.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Good luck with those 165 spbt, I believe there are one or more packets in my box somewhere. They used to be the right price.
    I've got a couple hundred, if they go good in the Featherweight I'll grab another box and that will probably be more than enough to keep me going for years.
    #DANNYCENT

I'd put money on it being the schnabel for end that you fell for.
    Trout likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I'd put money on it being the schnabel for end that you fell for.
    Yup stops your hand from slipping off the end

actually it's the chequering and the patterns I love and the fact that it was considered an ultralight rifle in a time that wasn't really all the rage.
    What's not to like though ? 5 round floor plate, feeds well, nice trigger, good saftey, reasonably light and pleasing to the eye
    Muttonguts likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Where did you get load data from? I looked on the ADI website and didn't find anything for that load.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Where did you get load data from? I looked on the ADI website and didn't find anything for that load.
    ADI list data for 165gn hornandy sp I'm just using that data, it may not be exact but I'll just keep an eye on it, if I'm too hot I don't need to shoot them all, I don't think I could get enough 2208 in a case to cause serious problems.
    Interesting ADI states 46gn is book max and compressed. I am still hearing powder moving in a case at 46.5gn
    I got the seating depth off the speer website sadly they do not list load data with Varget or adi2208 (same stuff)

Name:  Screenshot_2023-07-12-19-23-16.png
Views: 608
Size:  78.3 KB

Here is the speer data

Name:  Screenshot_2023-07-12-19-30-07.png
Views: 623
Size:  176.4 KB
    #DANNYCENT

Strangely enough I loaded the same 2208 ladder last night for a matrs t3 with 168 eldm’s.

46 gn is the max in a few loading books, Speer and Nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Strangely enough I loaded the same 2208 ladder last night for a matrs t3 with 168 eldm’s.

46 gn is the max in a few loading books, Speer and Nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've only gone to 46.5 so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, as stated if I hit pressure I don't have to shoot them.
    #DANNYCENT

if its throated the same as my old 270..eg long leade you could well be fine quite hot.... only testing will tell.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yup stops your hand from slipping off the end

actually it's the chequering and the patterns I love and the fact that it was considered an ultralight rifle in a time that wasn't really all the rage.
    What's not to like though ? 5 round floor plate, feeds well, nice trigger, good saftey, reasonably light and pleasing to the eye
    Us guys with short arms don’t usually have that problem.
    I always wanted one for the same reasons. But one never turned up at the right time.
    dannyb likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if its throated the same as my old 270..eg long leade you could well be fine quite hot.... only testing will tell.
    That's why we test as stated earlier it shoots the hand loads I use in the Lupo 308 marginally faster (about 30 or 40fps) so your theory could well be right.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Nice 308 timber stock there.Dont fall over with it in hand Danny.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Nice 308 timber stock there.Dont fall over with it in hand Danny.
    This is my "beater" rifle for scrub bashing .......rest assured I intend to look after it, but will definitely get it out hunting, just like the Lupo
    #DANNYCENT

One of the boys used to carry his new bar (crowbar we called it) 308 cradled in his arms, even when if he fell the rifle never hit the dirt. I tried that and caught my elbow on a rock, chipped the bone and 50 yrs later I can feel the chips there. Hey if you ever validate let me know if the stated bc is on or off.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.