Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Grouping

I've found this good value Cam . Lots of differences but all relevant . Slowing absorbing it in
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

IMHO any typical deer caliber in a non dial or hold situation should be zeroed(that means on at that range not high or low) in all but the most peculiar situation at 200-250y.
    This will put you bang on at typical bush ranges also.
    No more than 3 inches high worst case at 125 (7.62x39? )
    Point and shoot to 300, if it looks a bit far aim a bit higher !
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 02-06-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    10-Ring and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    She has got pretty high tec this thread considering the opening posts requests good thing we answered his question early on.
    @deer243 I have spent the vast majority of my hunting life hunting bush, there is a reason for the 25yard zero every old prick you talk to who has shot a ship load of deer recommends.

Its because with a 303 its also a 200y zero and a slight hold for 300.

With for example a generic 150gr 308 load a 100y zero is also "on" at 65y shorter than that its low, bush ranges are typically 20-60y.
    Same load zeroed at 200y is "on" at 30Y and within 6mm from 20-45y.

Better to zero at 200y for bush.
    When i said sighting in at 100m is perfered i still stick by that. But that doesnt mean you have to sight it bang on at 100m. My 243 is sighted 1.5 inches high at 100m and my 308 2 inches high and both are good at 200m. Like Matty P said it cuts out alot of variables sighting at 100m rather than 200m. And cant say ive missed any animals from 0-100m in the bush sighting like that
    veitnamcam, 10-Ring and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am looking at a ballistic app lol
    best add in realistic scope height then LMAO had an old .303 with see through mounts one time they were really high so scope sat about 4" above bore....that thing drove me nuts trying to work out zero range for it as it was up and down like a whores drawers..... sighted in 2" high at hundy and we missed over or under most of time..chucked mounts and went back to iron.....

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    When i said sighting in at 100m is perfered i still stick by that. But that doesnt mean you have to sight it bang on at 100m. My 243 is sighted 1.5 inches high at 100m and my 308 2 inches high and both are good at 200m. Like Matty P said it cuts out alot of variables sighting at 100m rather than 200m. And cant say ive missed any animals from 0-100m in the bush sighting like that
    sighting in and zeroing are two different things i still like to bang a few at our 200m
    deer243 and Kiwi-Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    best add in realistic scope height then LMAO had an old .303 with see through mounts one time they were really high so scope sat about 4" above bore....that thing drove me nuts trying to work out zero range for it as it was up and down like a whores drawers..... sighted in 2" high at hundy and we missed over or under most of time..chucked mounts and went back to iron.....
    Yes that is with a typical scope hight of 1.5-1.65inch c/c thanks.

amazing the difference if you change sight in zero range. 25 yards works out with .270 with 130 grn for a 300ish yard zero but has mid range of over 5"
    drop zero range back to 150 yards and first crossing is around 50 yard mark.that is bullet is low till 50yards then above until 150.
    (went and had a peek at two different sources before typing that)

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    amazing the difference if you change sight in zero range. 25 yards works out with .270 with 130 grn for a 300ish yard zero but has mid range of over 5"
    drop zero range back to 150 yards and first crossing is around 50 yard mark.that is bullet is low till 50yards then above until 150.
    (went and had a peek at two different sources before typing that)
    Yes but you are going about it all wrong, a slight varience in scope hight or velocity or bc will at 25y will result in a large difference in zero.

Zero actually and in the program at 200-250y ande any varyiance in velocity bc etc will be a matter of a few yards of 25-30 zero

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    What grouping would you expect from a hunting rifle . At 200 mts and 300 and 400 ? . Talk English pls not moa 's
    Grouping only shows the potential of your gun, Its not so important what you'v got as what you do with it !

How many hunters could take their gun out of the bag any random day and put their first 5 shots into a 20Cm Circle at 200m? Ability to sight it in and stay sighted in and Knowing where to aim at each range is the decider .

This is accuracy I'm talking about.

SO, don't stress too much about group size . 5 shots into 5cm @100m is fine for deer . Spend your time and money sighting in and establishing your trajectory out to 3Oom ..A challenging goal would be to get all shots to hit a 10 cm target at 100m, 20 CM target at 200 m and 30cm at 300 m . This is hits not grouping .

Seeing the results at events like the Hihitahi challenge and Ruahine biathlon , among self selected hunters with an interest in shooting, hit rates are around 50% at 300 m .
    Last edited by Bagheera; 10-06-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    Blaser likes this.

Name:  20150610_162149.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  73.4 KB

checking my rifle day before going for 1 week shooting trip, red square is 6cm or 2.25 inches . ..MOA of angle rifle/ load and thats what i expect from the bench, shooting anywhere else i have different expectations . . . R
    Last edited by rossi.45; 10-06-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I have heard this before...

Eliminating all shooter and rifle error, theoretically how can a bullet shoot more accurately at range?? If you are shooting 4" groups at 100 then they will be 20" at 500.... Can someone describe the "science" behind a bullet shooting better at range?
    I reckon it's a parallax error thing up close. If you botch it up close at 100m it seems to throw me off worse than if I have error at say 500m. The closer your scope is to the infinity setting on the focus wheel the less a shitty eye position can effect your groups. I don't reckon it's got anything to do with ammo or the rifle. That makes no sense to me
    Bagheera likes this.

checking my rifle day before going for 1 week shooting trip, red square is 6cm or 2.25 inches . ..MOA of angle rifle/ load and thats what i expect from the bench, shooting anywhere else i have different expectations . . . R
    That's excellent accuracy Rossi.
    Not much of a group shown but you already know its grouping capability so can deduce the mean point of impact will be nearby each shot.

Yes very good for a Rossi

Ejected
    Well fuck me. I'm doing it all wrong AGAIN!!. Here's silly me sighting in bang on at 100. And it doesn't matter the calibre, I'm not using or including bricks like a 30-30 etc and the .22 with subs has a 25 metre which is on again at 50 zero which has it four inches low at 75.

And that includes the .223 I shoot rabbits with day in, day out to not much past 200 metres. Now I figure if you start talking about hold over at 300 for deer and other big critters, you better go buy a new rifle. It's fucked. Yes, I'm serious!
    Had an apprentice tell me I was doing it wrong too. Said the only way to go was 1.5-2 inches high at 100 so I'm on further out. Funny thing was he shot no more further than me yet missed a few in a bit closer. Go figure. He now runs a 100 zero

As for this getting more accurate further out, that's pretty simple. At three hundred you don't over think it (so long as you don't have the scope wound right up). Put the cross hair on target, yank trigger, in close you can over think it and pontificate around so fucking yourself up. Same goes for high powered scopes.
    Which leads onto.....
    Danny likes this.