Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hollow points or solids

42grn winchester power points work very well in my norincos....the diference in killing power surprised me.
    Ive shot litterally hundreds of goats with .22lr it was the old winchester superspeed before powerpoint came along...50 yards is good past that you better be on the money...a scope is huge advantage...
    a chest shot will work but the screaming of goat is enough to put you off your dinner...head or neck up close to head is best.
    the .223 is far far far better option,boy do I wish Id had one back when we meat hunted goats for pocket money.

Also bear in mind if you are hunting .22 rimfire is not permitted on public land like shotties

Cheers, i'll pick up some standard velocities and see how they go. Is the meat still edible even thought the bullets are led?

MB
    Same discussion was had recently about pigs. If you're 100% certain you can put a 22LR round in the right place every time, then go for it. Alternatively, you might not care about maiming an animal which can't be retrieved. In this case, there isn't much point having any discussion at all. I wouldn't put myself in either of those camps.
    WillB, outlander and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatiriHunter View Post
    Cheers, i'll pick up some standard velocities and see how they go. Is the meat still edible even thought the bullets are led?
    It's less contaminated than after the lead snowstorm more a cup and core produces having said that who eats pre minced meat?.
    There is an old saying that I think relates back to the good old days of lead bullets and black powder
    "You can eat right up to the hole" that's because the bullet doesn't shed little bits of itself as it goes. Velocity was the same as 22 so you are all good.

old acquaintance doing pest board/culling back in the late 70's early 80's. Used Roger 10/22's and kilwell hushpowers on goats. Double tap the neck, move to next goat, repeat. Never had the opportunity to prove the method.
    Never shot a lot of goats but majority were with 243 and 357. Only one with the 22.

Velocitor shoot well in both my bolt guns ,not tried them in the 10/22 yet but after using them for hares I wouldn’t hesitate to head shoot a goat out to 50m with them.

Killed cleanly with a .22LR HV hollow point, 60m thereabouts. Not an idle boast, just a reminder that a well placed .22 bullet will do the bizzo on all sorts of things. This pig was shot high in the neck, behind the ear, shattered the C2 vertebrae with the bullet being found in the offside hide.

Name:  C17CBCEF-30A7-4887-A71D-E2AB370990E4.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  115.0 KB

I fully respect all the comments about whether the .22LR is adequate for goats - as in the pig example I would only use it if that happened to be the rifle I had in my hands at the time. I wouldn’t plan to use it. But if I was out with the .22 and I came across some easy as goats, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot them with my very accurate .22. But here’s the rub @MatiriHunter, I wouldn’t ever chest shoot them. Like never even consider it. Head or upper neck only with that cartridge.

I chest shoot goats with subsonic .308 and Robert’s cast lead pills, believe me even with one of those you have to get it spot on or else you’ve got a long runner.
    MB and mimms2 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    For head shooting goats with a .22 rimfire use the solid nosed projectiles
    Why? Curious to know why you and I are recommending the opposite here.
    Just...say...the...word

I've shot a numerous goats and hundreds of sheep with .22lr headshots. Outside 30 meters I dont bother.
    Usually use Winchester Powerpoint 40gn.
    Best results come from hitting the soft spot between the eye and the ear especially for hard headed animals like Rams, or the back of the head as it will hit the spinal column if it hits a bit low.

That being said I've had it go wrong on enough occaisions to not generally recommend it unless you have to.
    outlander likes this.

One thing to consider is I have found Velocitor to not live up to what the box says by a large margin. I chronied it this weekend gone out of a 16" barrel and got most the same speed as regular old mini mags, as well as wild ES and SD.

So far on larger animals, I have seen that the 40gr Power Point punches above it's weight.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatiriHunter View Post
    G'day, i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether copper plated hollow points (CCI Velocitors) or solid lead (CCI Standard Velocity) are better for headshooting goats with a .22lr Cheers.
    Over the last 44 years I have shot plenty of goats, about a dozen pigs and a handfull of deer with .22 , shot my first deer with one.. Mostly using the old ICI hp's, as well as Winchester Power Points, CCI Mini Mag HP and standard velocity RN solids. Solids are a more reliable round on big old billies and nannies but HP's are fine if thats what you got. The closer the better.
    If you can get a hold of Brad Parkes book "Small Game Hunting in New Zealand" have a read. A lot of info in it.
    mimms2 likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Why? Curious to know why you and I are recommending the opposite here.
    I shoot them with solids as that's what I've always used and has always worked in my personal experience probably comes from the days of hunting with air rifles and learning shot placement

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    One thing to consider is I have found Velocitor to not live up to what the box says by a large margin. I chronied it this weekend gone out of a 16" barrel and got most the same speed as regular old mini mags, as well as wild ES and SD.

So far on larger animals, I have seen that the 40gr Power Point punches above it's weight.
    Muzzle velocity/energy is not as interesting as what the bullet retains downrange. Velocitors look good in this table based on manufacturers' published data. Comparing the first three in the line-up sells the virtues of heavier bullets.

Accuracy of course is more important and of the supersonic .22LRs the Velocitor also goes trans/subsonic the furthest out.

Name:  22LR-Ballistics-for-your-Rifle.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  309.2 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch