Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Keen to start reloading.

The other awesome thing with the balance beam is , if your like me you get the last 2 digits of your number round the wrong way like I occasionally do, you'll notice straight away when the scales drop down hard with an extra grain of powder in em.
    I've got both. And for my long range loads throw a charge just under and trickle up on the digital scales then pop the charge onto the beam scales. Let it settle while I get the next one ready. I think of it as a double check and a bit of fine tuning. The scales are sensitive enough that one or two kernels of 2213 will upset it.
    Probably a bit overkill but I'm only doing that for the long range load.
    I don't think it adds any time and it puts my mind at ease.
    The bush gun gets the digital scales only and the thrown charge trickled up with a few checks on the beam scales to double check myself as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    The other awesome thing with the balance beam is , if your like me you get the last 2 digits of your number round the wrong way like I occasionally do, you'll notice straight away when the scales drop down hard with an extra grain of powder in em.
    I've got both. And for my long range loads throw a charge just under and trickle up on the digital scales then pop the charge onto the beam scales. Let it settle while I get the next one ready. I think of it as a double check and a bit of fine tuning. The scales are sensitive enough that one or two kernels of 2213 will upset it.
    Probably a bit overkill but I'm only doing that for the long range load.
    I don't think it adds any time and it puts my mind at ease.
    The bush gun gets the digital scales only and the thrown charge trickled up with a few checks on the beam scales to double check myself as I go.
    I run a similar protocol, when developing loads I use the balance beam, when making up a batch I use the dispenser and check weigh the first five and then every 5th load on the balance beam.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Buy green as in Redding t7 and learn about annealing. Forget about the fancy equipment. A drill will be sufficient.

Fucking rabbit hole!
    Got the bugger going by the end of the day.
    Don't try operating this machine pissed or stoned!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I have fallen headfirst down the rabbit hole and it’s an endless pit, if you’re not careful.

I would look at it like this- I figure I’ll be shooting for the rest of my life so reloading is naturally a part of that (plus it’s enjoyable and oddly calming), I’d rather buy once/ cry once and then you’ve got it forever, so I would get good gear to save on doubling up etc. but for me the investment was worth it.

Have to figure out are you chasing 1moa which is respectable and perfect for hunting, or chasing 0.25moa and wanting to make tiny holes at 1000m.

As said before you want a good mentor cause that knowledge is priceless. YouTube is also your friend and check out Eric Cortina, F Class John, Primal Rights, Ultimate Reloader etc. but just my 2cents
    7mm Rem Mag, DBD and techno retard like this.

right..I will fly in opposite direction to normal flow here.
    buy components and go load at someone elses place TO BEGIN WITH....
    that ticks three boxes,get the mentor learning done.... get to work out a load under supervision..decide if you want to continue down the rabbit hole.

PERSONALLY I am more than happy with LEE gear except for the crappy toothpaste like case jammy,non lubing lube.....
    agree .308 is really simple to load good hunting loads for....its harder to get it wrong than right IF you have realistic expectations.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Fucking rabbit hole!

I dont know if Im more scared or impressed to see a gas torch on bench during the get it going process...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Buy Nathan Fosters book

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sho...Reloading.html

While waiting for it to arrive, check this knowledgeable old dude out

https://youtu.be/sXnwM_T9BMg?feature=shared
    Oldbloke likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I dont know if Im more scared or impressed to see a gas torch on bench during the get it going process...
    I just assumed it goes into one of the empty holes on the turret to anneal the cases as they go through the press. That is why the slot almost opposite the powder thrower is empty, it has to be installed at maximum separation from the powder thrower, this is to ensure that loads remain consistent by not having a few grains randomly burnt off occasionally.

Any doubt cast toward the above statement by the apparent lack of a 7/8 thread on the gas torch can be alleviated by the presence of the vice grips and hammer in the photo. These make redundant any need for the correct thread.
    Micky Duck, Jukes and Andygr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I just assumed it goes into one of the empty holes on the turret to anneal the cases as they go through the press. That is why the slot almost opposite the powder thrower is empty, it has to be installed at maximum separation from the powder thrower, this is to ensure that loads remain consistent by not having a few grains randomly burnt off occasionally.

Any doubt cast toward the above statement by the apparent lack of a 7/8 thread on the gas torch can be alleviated by the presence of the vice grips and hammer in the photo. These make redundant any need for the correct thread.
    I just use mine to clean up the inevitable powder spills that build up on my bench, especially around the pan end of the balance beam scales where the trickler lives and under the powder dropper
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Thanks everyone for your advice. I live up north but can go down south over the summer holidays for work and know people who are into the rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Fucking rabbit hole!

That Mapp gas will melt cases. Tried it until found it destroyed cases in the die.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...3-308.6252855/

Look at this first. If you want any help just PM. Pass on my meager knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...3-308.6252855/

Look at this first. If you want any help just PM. Pass on my meager knowledge.
    Although thats great info, IMHO, WAY too much info for a newbie.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y