Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Keeping the 7mm ahead of the 30 cal?

KG,
    We'll see some as soon as they are off the presses. She's a global market place these days! We had 300gn Gen II's before most of the yanks had them. You will still be able to build a shootable lighter weight 7mm shooting 195's than a 338 shooting 300's, now matter how good the brake. The angled port etc brake recoil reduction applies to both 7mm and 338 etc. I agree the 338's will be easier, but there'll still be a place for the 195's in some situations, if they work out.
    And you're right, the 375's should be the new king for big guns and will have better barrel life. But as usual we are waiting - for bullets, barrels, more testing etc...and in the meantime the proven 338's are still flattening deer and smacking gongs!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Duley View Post
    KG,
    We'll see some as soon as they are off the presses. She's a global market place these days! We had 300gn Gen II's before most of the yanks had them. You will still be able to build a shootable lighter weight 7mm shooting 195's than a 338 shooting 300's, now matter how good the brake. The angled port etc brake recoil reduction applies to both 7mm and 338 etc. I agree the 338's will be easier, but there'll still be a place for the 195's in some situations, if they work out.
    And you're right, the 375's should be the new king for big guns and will have better barrel life. But as usual we are waiting - for bullets, barrels, more testing etc...and in the meantime the proven 338's are still flattening deer and smacking gongs!

Greg
    Some of us are already shooting the 375s Greg, with great results so far, admitably not on animals yet but that won't be far away.

Already better ballistics than the 338 Cheytac improved, with less powder

Yes the great brakes make a big difference to any calibre.

If my 12 year old daughter can shoot my 338 imp easily then the 7mm Rum I have at the moment would be a non issue now it has a decent brake on it.

The rearward ported brake makes a big difference compared to convential ported brake any radial brake especially in the bigger calibres.

I have been told to be carefull with my brake design as many people are concerned that it will be blatantly plagerised, like another popular kiwi made brake recently
    Last edited by Kiwi Greg; 10-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.

KG,
    Looking forward to the results! And it would also be good to have some more readily available quality bullets.
    Bring it on!
    Greg

KG, sorry missed the bit about brakes at the bottom of your post. What popular NZ brake has been plagiarized? All I've seen are based on various US designs of one sort or another. If you've got something truly new maybe you better try and patent it. Don't know if that's an easy process. We've never bothered with any of our stuff, and always give credit to anyone we borrow, modify ideas off. There's very little truly new around these days, certainly in the way of brakes anyway.
    Greg

Greg.
    Thats true that not much is truely new & unique.
    I chose the best imported brake I could find as my base line & modified to make it even more efficent.
    I see that you have gone a similar route with a number of the products you sell.
    I did that because I couldn't find a brake here that was what I was looking for as far as recoil reduction, call me soft if you like, but my Edge with an APS PK on it was beating me up.
    Also it is getting harder & harder to get firearms parts out of the States through the front door, with most manufacturers not willing to export directly.

Most people in the industry are well aware of the recent radial brake debarcle & I'm sure you are well aware of it as well, news travels very fast in this little country & indeed internationally as well.

As far as the patent thing goes it is to hard to do & not worth persuing unless you are prepared to go to court against the person/company that stole/borrowed your design.

I feel that as I used an idea from another country & modified to suit my needs, that it isn't as bad as say, directly copying a brake from a local manufacturer, that also had previously supplied the product to me.

I know I would be very disappointed if some one copied my brakes but as they will hopefully be fairly cheap, the cost of tooling up for them would hardly be worth it.

I found from my extensive testing that even a seemly insignificant change can result in a major change in performance usually detrimentally.

Even if I sell very few, which seems quite unlikely given the amount of positive feed back I'm recieving, I feel I have achieved my initial goal to produce a brake that will tame the large amount of recoil associated with high speed & BC, heavy weight, LR projectiles in light weight rifles.

Any how what I do know is a great brake will be required for rifles/calibres capable of fully utilising the benefits new 195 when it finally gets here

KG,
    Good luck, if you have something new that works I hope your venture goes well for you. Our angled port brakes make our Lunatics pussies to shoot, but will be interested to see what improvement you've been able to make.
    I'm still none the wiser about the recent radial brake debacle you talk of, but I have been in the bush recently until yesterday. Maybe you could email me if its too sensitive for a public forum?
    Greg

KG,
    Good luck, if you have something new that works I hope your venture goes well for you. Our angled port brakes make our Lunatics pussies to shoot, but will be interested to see what improvement you've been able to make.
    I'm still none the wiser about the recent radial brake debacle you talk of, but I have been in the bush recently until yesterday. Maybe you could email me if its too sensitive for a public forum?
    Greg
    I have had & will have a brake at my disposal that your angled port brake is based on for testing and as I managed to significantly better a smaller one I'm sure I can get the bigger one more efficent, time will tell.

I will be concentrating on the smaller ones first.

The Radial brake thing is not my fight so I will leave it at that, I have talked to victim, he isn't a happy camper & is seriously considering his legal options.

Ok, good luck as I said. Any experimenting that furthers shooting knowledge for everyone can only be a good thing.
    As to the brake debacle, no doubt I'll hear about it sooner or later if its as bad as you say it is.
    Greg

Ok, good luck as I said. Any experimenting that furthers shooting knowledge for everyone can only be a good thing.
    As to the brake debacle, no doubt I'll hear about it sooner or later if its as bad as you say it is.
    Greg
    I just want guys to be able to shoot the bigger calibres without having to worry about recoil.

It is truely incredible to be able to accurately shoot the distances that we do now with factory/semi custom rifles, that were thought to be impossible by most, a few short years ago.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    I have been told to be carefull with my brake design as many people are concerned that it will be blatantly plagerised, like another popular kiwi made brake recently [/QUOTE]

Mr Greg Duley have you been stepping on people toes again??
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I expect it will be sometime before we see them, especially on this side of the world

I say this because of improved muzzle brake designs that make even the biggest 338s etc far more manageable in light weight hunting rifles.

Shameless plug there Gregg

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    WOW what an awesome swordfight
    baldbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Shameless plug there Gregg
    Some of us Gregs are better than others at shameless plugs, I'm still a mere amateur in this regard

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    WOW what an awesome swordfight
    Absolutely hilarious.... take note "GREGS"..

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I have been told to be carefull with my brake design as many people are concerned that it will be blatantly plagerised, like another popular kiwi made brake recently

Mr Greg Duley have you been stepping on people toes again??[/QUOTE]

Donald,
    Please do enlighten us all on what you are talking about? Have you something to say? You and KG certainly like dropping hints, so don't be shy with it. Post what you're talking about in the public eye so everyone can see what you're on about, then we'll see what the truth actually is!
    Greg

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!