Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Lee Collet Die Decapping Pin Removed

While we're on the subject of collet dies. What's the best lube for the collet?

I have never used any lube with my Lee collet die. I use Inox when body sizing with my Redding die, unconventional I know but works very well and is quick n easy. I usually fold a small denim rag into about 3 or 4 layers to give it bulk, which helps it conform to the case shape, spray it with a bit of Inox, then lightly roll the case over it. If you want to use lube for neck sizing this would probably work as well as anything.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Hi all. Will removing the decapping pin from a Lee collet die mandrel have a negative affect with the neck sizing operation in any way? Thanks
    Greetings @Three O'Three and All,
    Both the Lee Collet dies and the Lee Loader kits are noted for producing straight cases. To my mind the decapping pin on the mandrel in the Lee Collet die performs an essential part of keeping the mandrel and hence the neck straight and should never be removed. Some, but not all, conventional neck and full length sizing dies can pull the neck of line when the expander button is pulled through the neck. This can be reduced, or eliminated, by running the sizing button into the case to expand the necks as a separate step. This allows full support to the case head in the shell holder rather than just part of the rim. Adjusting the expander ball as high up in the case as possible can help as well but means you have to de cap as a separate step, something I do anyway. John Barsness did an excellent article on this in Handloader a couple of years back.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    PS. Many have problems with the Collet die not sizing the necks enough to grip the projectiles after a couple of loads. This is due to brass hardening and can be eliminated by annealing the necks. Many target shooters anneal case necks for every load.
    GPM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

There maybe some confusion with my original question? I wasn't referring to operating a collet die without the mandrel but cutting the decapping pin off the mandrel and operating the die with a pinless mandrel some I can neck size primed cases.
    flock and Dazzh like this.

For some reason people got the impression I was removing the mandel, No

Name:  20220807_123926 (2).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  102.7 KB
    Last edited by flock; 07-08-2022 at 01:43 PM.

There is no problem at all doing what you've done

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    For some reason people got the impression I was removing the mandel, No

Attachment 203239
    What you did is what I was asking about. Does it affect neck sizing in any negative way like neck runout?

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    What you did is what I was asking about. Does it affect neck sizing in any negative way like neck runout?
    no. I take it out and dont notice any difference

No, run out is 2 thousandths or less, more often 1 thousandths, which is what I expect. Even after FLRS I use the collect die to true up the run out and create even neck tension.
    By the way my FLRS is Lee as well. Have had all the flash stuff Redding flrs, S bushing neck dies, neck turning on & on my concentricity got worse; I'm not shooting a Match chamber so wasted my time & money, aint nothing wrong with the Lee gear.
    Dazzh likes this.