Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: Lee Instruction Confusion

Lee Instruction Confusion

I really hate Lee's instructions that come with their products because of how vague they are. Going through the Lee slug mold instructions and it says to lube core pin. Which part of the core pin? the whole thing? Can't find any info about this online, no tutorial videos, nothing

Stop the lead sticking to it would be my guess? So from the idea I have in my swede, a little lube on the core plug and good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    I really hate Lee's instructions that come with their products because of how vague they are. Going through the Lee slug mold instructions and it says to lube core pin. Which part of the core pin? the whole thing? Can't find any info about this online, no tutorial videos, nothing
    You need to lube the base plug that makes the hollow base, Best practise is sit it on a hot plate and get it as hot as you can before you start casting
    it will cool down as you cast, at the start you will get a lot of frosty bases, Cast fairly slow when they come out looking good the mould heats up very quickly
    and starts leaking you need to find a rhyme and just cruise along one a minute is a good start, have a damp cloth handy to cool the mould.
    Micky Duck and Three O'Three like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    You need to lube the base plug that makes the hollow base, Best practise is sit it on a hot plate and get it as hot as you can before you start casting
    it will cool down as you cast, at the start you will get a lot of frosty bases, Cast fairly slow when they come out looking good the mould heats up very quickly
    and starts leaking you need to find a rhyme and just cruise along one a minute is a good start, have a damp cloth handy to cool the mould.
    Thanks @shooternz. I did lube the whole plug with beeswax, might look at a alternative to beeswax because it creates a mess in the mold. I might of gone a bit fast and let the mold get too hot because after casting I noticed some had daggs coming off the base of the slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Thanks @shooternz. I did lube the whole plug with beeswax, might look at a alternative to beeswax because it creates a mess in the mold. I might of gone a bit fast and let the mold get too hot because after casting I noticed some had daggs coming off the base of the slugs.
    Yes the daggs are the result of being too hot you have to be careful the mould will warp and leak badly, put very little lube on the pin
    Have you tried smoking the mould that helps with Lee moulds, Wait a good 20-30 seconds after the sprue hardens before cutting it and pouring the next slug
    that will let the mould maintains an even temperature.
    shananah likes this.