Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mixed Headstamp brass in 270 - performance differences

Mixed Headstamp brass in 270 - performance differences

Hi team, after eyeballing the calibre for several years, I find myself moving in to 270Win territory. My main interest is hunting and yes, I know, sticking to a single headstamp in brass delivers best results, Lapua if you can get/afford it, whatever you can put your hands on otherwise.

When I started in 7x57mm Mauser I used multiple fired mixed headstamp brass originally from factory ammo but acquired for nothing or not very much from blokes with no further use for it (a whole while ago now). Not being a match grade shooter, I had no discernable issues developing hunting loads with it. Eventually I did acquire some nice Norma and even a small bunch of Lapua. Which tends to sit in my drawer getting looked at occasionally while I keep loading hunting rounds in stuff I don't mind loosing so much in the bush in the heat of the moment. I'm sure I'll get to the nice stuff in the days my legs get less willing to cart me around the hills.

In the meantime, I'm expecting a big case like the 270W will be even less finicky about mixed headstamp - for getting-going and hunting duty.

As I'm about to go on the scrounge for some cheaper-than-Lapua 270 brass, what considered opinions are there out there on useful, not so useful brands?
    Sidetrack likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

well i use just what ever comes first everything mixed up but you have me thinking i should seperate everything that is loaded up and go from there cheers

Pretty much a universal reloading rule - don't mix your brass. As long as you aren't hot rodding you will probably be OK. Although even with my hunting loads I batched my brass to get the most consistent results available. If you're loading near max you could tip over with different brands (sometimes even the same brand) having different case (charge) capacities and pressure outcomes.

Re loosing good brand brass out in the sticks. I never worried too much. More important to down the animal than worry where your empty went. Unless goat culling where some brass was inevitably lost, in which case I used older brass maybe nearing the end of its life.
    I remember shooting a fallow, one shot kill, and going and finding it in the scrub, gutting out ready to carry, and then finding the fired case in my top pocket. I didn't remember putting it there after downing the animal. Bolt was closed on an empty chamber. So, my brain must have been conditioned to save my brass.
    BSA270 and 30.06king like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecod1967 View Post
    well i use just what ever comes first everything mixed up but you have me thinking i should seperate everything that is loaded up and go from there cheers
    Depends what you want to achieve I guess. An inch and a half on a bodybshot at 200m probably not going to notice. On the range its a big deal. At 500m+ or on a head shot it might also be a big deal.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Target and long range , Take whatever u can get
    Weigh your brass, sort into manufacturer and weight groups , then shoot them in batches, keep a eye on cracking and case length
    For hunting , up to 300m ish , won't make a difference
    Don't be scared to fire that lapua brass u got - they only get better after 2 firings ��
    I resized 30-06 -270 for a m8, years ago
    Gave up after about 10 tries
    Easier sizing up than down
    BSA270, Jhon and 30.06king like this.

Looing for cheaper brands ? If me, I would take either Remington or Winchester. I don't like Federal or Hornady as I believe both are of lower quality.
    If possible, and dependent on how much brass you want, pick it up from one seller. Quite likely the seller bought 2 or 3 packs at once which might be one manufacturers batch = some consistency.
    When handloading, do development with just one brand, until you have a satisfactory load. Then, if you have another brand, try working up to the same load to see if it also works well enough for you.
    Keep it as simple as possible.
    zimmer and Jhon like this.

Banned
    Winchester is good and my preference. Because it is harder than some it is more prone to crack if not annealed
    BSA270 and Jhon like this.

PPU is a bit of a hidden gem if you ask me. Super consistent weights and size. And being perceived as uncool people will pretty much give you once fired brass. Can't see the point of paying 300 dollars for 100 cases when the poor mans lapua will do the same thing. And you won't have to take a metal detector hunting to look for your brass in the tussock . If only PPU made 7mm.wsm....
    Micky Duck, Jhon and -BW- like this.

PPU does seem to have a pretty good reputation. The Ammo price was exceptional last year, when all other centrfire calibres in PPU were $40-50 a box, the .270 PPU was $35 for a while.
    It it were me, I'd get a bulk buy of 100 rounds of PPU and reload the brass without having to worry about mixed headstamps. I did it with .303, good value for money and convenience.

In saying that, a lot of .270 brass does come up on tard me fairly often at reasonable prices.
    Jhon likes this.

I have been slowly collecting Winchester brass to reload for my 270, have heard it is pretty decent and better than Hornady.

PPU and highland are same thing and the 130grn factory load has big exposed tip of lead and they kill really well.My Howa loves them
    as for mixed brass......for me..its never been an issue as I dont shoot much out past 250,350 is my self imposed limit.
    years back I fired a dozen different loads from 110-170grn both factory and reloads at 100 yards the combined group was easily covered by playing card...take from that what you will
    my break in 11 shots for my Howa were 130grn highland,150grn winchester and 120grn remington corloct and that 11 shots went into nice wee group hovering around an inch
    so I just dont over think it...no need.
    BSA270, Jhon and shananah like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yes, have long favored PPU in 303B and 30-30. Buying ammo when it was like $24, then $32 a box of 20. Those were the days.. . Currently $60 for 20 PPU at GC online. not such a good deal when I already have powder and primers on hand.Guess if I was paying $1 per primer it would look a better deal. Fiocchi at $44. Anyone rate Fiocchi brass?

Anyways thks for all the input. TM here I come.

go and have a look in the likes of farmlands/wrightsons if they still stock ammo locally..they often have that sort of stuff at good prices.

how many/much brass are you after???

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how many/much brass are you after???
    50 to 100