Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mixed Headstamp brass in 270 - performance differences

will see what Ive got thats the same....should be able to sort them out tomorrow... will be in touch.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Walking my rifle
    Stick to mild loads and you will be fine at hunting distances. My hunting aka bush ammo is mixed case and mixed projectiles (just whatever i have sitting aroundor have leftover from projects) and i just load them all with a mild load appropriate fir the bullet weight and dont worry about it. They all shoot same POI as my "long range load" and even to 200 yards still plenty good for a goat or a deer. After that the bullet weights starts to matter.

But wit mixed brass you should be fine for hunting loads. For long range loads i use Lapua/Sako/Norma etc as you are not likely to be flicking them out all over the show

Im fortunate that my Jaco X 308 Tikka shoots everything from 125gr to 180gr as same point of impact, so can just chuck in whatever.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and Jhon like this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

I have 54 of PMP .270w brass I can send you..I BELIEVE its once fired ,came from one of the two forums at some point in the past....have about half that number of federal thats been loaded couple of times and similar number of NNU/ppu/highland once fired...or can dig out in shed where will have larger number of same headstamp but higher reloaded count.
    Jhon likes this.

I found there ws quite a big difference in the results with different brass in the .270. Federal and Fiochi would not tolerate high pressures. Winchester was good, PPU was good. Hornady too brittle and S&B too brittle and often has flash holes off centre.
    I never mix brass except in auto loaders and other things where accuracy didnt matter much.
    Jhon likes this.

which is really only an issue if hotrodding...mild to middling load..no issue LOL.