Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Model 7 7mm08 150gn eldx load development

Very tidy!
    dannyb likes this.

Really satisfying.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Just out of curiosity, what velocity did you get with the factory precision hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what velocity did you get with the factory precision hunter?
    Already deleted the data off my strelok but from memory about 2500fps.
    So no massive gains over factory ammo velocity, but gains none the less and way more consistent.
    #DANNYCENT

Interesting comparison with my mates 15" 308 today he's shooting 155gn amax with a mv of 2700fps
    The bc on the 150gn eldx us substantially better and the 708 has more velocity and ft/lbs at 500 yards than the 308 even though the 708 has a lower mv
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Interesting comparison with my mates 15" 308 today he's shooting 155gn amax with a mv of 2700fps
    The bc on the 150gn eldx us substantially better and the 708 has more velocity and ft/lbs at 500 yards than the 308 even though the 708 has a lower mv
    Not that it matters at all just interesting
    #DANNYCENT

Very common almost all heavy high BC projectiles will overtake lighter lower BC projectiles eventually when fired from them similar sized case. The bigger calibre are usually a little more efficient in terms of muzzle energy but often lose out on the open of high BC projectiles.

Hence why the factory precision hunter 7mm08 holds 1000ftlbs to 700 yard while a 270 only holds it to 750 yards at the cost of significantly more recoil and 200fps higher muzzle velocity. At extended range BC is fairly significant for retaining energy . Obviously need a balance it with velocity to allow the projectile to expand and do it job. Should have a bloody good load there mate!
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Very common almost all heavy high BC projectiles will overtake lighter lower BC projectiles eventually when fired from them similar sized case. The bigger calibre are usually a little more efficient in terms of muzzle energy but often lose out on the open of high BC projectiles.

Hence why the factory precision hunter 7mm08 holds 1000ftlbs to 700 yard while a 270 only holds it to 750 yards at the cost of significantly more recoil and 200fps higher muzzle velocity. At extended range BC is fairly significant for retaining energy . Obviously need a balance it with velocity to allow the projectile to expand and do it job. Should have a bloody good load there mate!
    I'm certainly very pleased with the results
    #DANNYCENT

I'm certainly very pleased with the results
    Looking forward to seeing some animals soon!
    dannyb likes this.

starting same combination

I'm just about to start loading the same combination in a sako 7mm08, 22" barrel, 150eld-x, 2208, Fiocchi large rifle primers, once fired Hornady brass.

I've been using the factory Precision Hunter ammo and have found the projectile extremely good on animals from 30 yards to 300. The velocity averages around 2650fps but has quite a wide spread with as high as 2680fps and low as 2624fps within 10 rounds. I have a suspicion it became less consistent when they changed from the regular silver primers they had to brass ones (only on 7mm08 rounds, everything else still gets the silver primers).

Does anyone recommend a good range for an initial ladder test? Looking at the hornady reloading page, depending whether you count 2208 as vargant or imr4064 (the two comparisons adi make on their comparisons table) it changes the max load by 1.7 grains...
    and on hodgdon's and ADI's website it has a great varience for 150gr projectiles between sierra or barnes, no eldx.

Should I be looking at the data for 154gr hornady sp instead as on Hornady's website it has them in the same group. Fairly new to reloading so taking it easy but hoping to find a load with decent accuracy around 2700+fps which seems doable from what other people are getting.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by averageoutdoorsman View Post
    I'm just about to start loading the same combination in a sako 7mm08, 22" barrel, 150eld-x, 2208, Fiocchi large rifle primers, once fired Hornady brass.

I've been using the factory Precision Hunter ammo and have found the projectile extremely good on animals from 30 yards to 300. The velocity averages around 2650fps but has quite a wide spread with as high as 2680fps and low as 2624fps within 10 rounds. I have a suspicion it became less consistent when they changed from the regular silver primers they had to brass ones (only on 7mm08 rounds, everything else still gets the silver primers).

Does anyone recommend a good range for an initial ladder test? Looking at the hornady reloading page, depending whether you count 2208 as vargant or imr4064 (the two comparisons adi make on their comparisons table) it changes the max load by 1.7 grains...
    and on hodgdon's and ADI's website it has a great varience for 150gr projectiles between sierra or barnes, no eldx.

Should I be looking at the data for 154gr hornady sp instead as on Hornady's website it has them in the same group. Fairly new to reloading so taking it easy but hoping to find a load with decent accuracy around 2700+fps which seems doable from what other people are getting.
    Cheers
    I've just worked up a load with 2208 and 150 eldx in two different Tikka .7-08 and ended up with the same load 40.2 grains I think I'll check tomorrow if you like. If I go much higher the bolt lift is a bit hard and some stamping. Speed was 2675 fps and both shot very well.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    winaa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    I've just worked up a load with 2208 and 150 eldx in two different Tikka .7-08 and ended up with the same load 40.2 grains I think I'll check tomorrow if you like. If I go much higher the bolt lift is a bit hard and some stamping. Speed was 2675 fps and both shot very well.

Out of curiosity what barrel lengths? Is your load std 2.8" COL or longer?

Barrel was 20" unsure of COA but they are seated to Tikka mag length.

Hunty1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some animals soon!
    Took the latte rifle out for a walk this weekend and shot 2 fallow yearlings at 311 and 330 yards, both bang flops and the damage to the wee fallow front shoulders was brutal....I almost felt over gunned
    I'm happy the drop chart I set up with strelok was bang on the money "pun totally intended"
    May have to call it the espresso rifle from now on, what a little beast

Name:  20210807_083200.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  6.49 MB

Name:  20210806_164623.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  1.12 MB
    Tahr, nor-west, davhope and 7 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Excellent!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.