Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: New .270 cal cartridge from Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    And you would have just reinvented the 7mm Remington SAUM give or take a few thou here and there.
    Grandpamac.
    Yeah but it'd have a cool wizzbang name like 7-277 Western.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Hi @grandpamac, I looked up the .270 Titus Savage and found it quite interesting.

Will any of these new cartridges shift me from the tried and true .308 ??? Probably not, though that said, if my situation changes or a cartridge comes along that gives we good reason to change, I am not adverse to it.

I have read a few articles on the 6.8 Western and yes, it does look interesting....but again possibly not interesting or compelling enough to get me to change.

I already have my two go-to rifle cartridges in the in the safe. I started out just owning the plain old .308 but then after reading this article.....

The NEW 7.6 Creedmoor — Best .30-Cal Cartridge Ever? « Daily Bulletin

I rushed out and bought me one of these fancy 7.6 Creedmoor's and now I really don't want for anything more......

Only problem I have now is when I go out for a hunt I always have trouble deciding whether to take my .308 or my new 7.6 Creedmoor......

The problems we have in this beautiful free abundant country......

Cheers
    Phil
    You're funny
    Phil_H likes this.

I might have to get one to fill the gap between my .270, .284 and 7RM.

Anyone want to buy a CDL SF in .270?

Fancy a 6.5 instead.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    OK, you've got me....I've done a quick search but couldn't find anything on what it is....

What is CDL SF ????? I see reference to it in a variety of calibres but nothing explaining it per se.

Cheers
    Phil
    That may be Remington speak for Custom Deluxe Laminated Stainless Fluted or something like it.
    Grandpamac.
    Phil_H likes this.

Banned
    You know what I like? Long actions. If you are willing to carry just a hint more action, then you can dear your projectiles to whatever you like.

There was a time when logic dictated that a small bullet launched by a huge case was easier to shoot because there would be less hold over required.

This was sound knowledge for decades till ballistics calculators became regularly available and people started shooting ordinary rifles in long range targets.

Turns out that little fast bullet has terrible aerodynamics and is like entering a van in a formula one race. They fly like a plane with no wings.

What in theory was a flat trajectory actually wasn't, relative to much slower, quieter things with less recoil, that didn't burn out barrels.

Thus, the myth of the flat shooting 270 died

I can hunt with a 303. Everything else is academic. But if you want to make real comparisons in real world shooting challenges, the new chamberings with fast twist barrels and ultra-aerodynamic projectiles are way easier to actually hit things with.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    I might have to get one to fill the gap between my .270, .284 and 7RM.

Anyone want to buy a CDL SF in .270?

Fancy a 6.5 instead.
    It’s a Remington 700 Custom Deluxe Stainless Fluted with walnut stock.

Like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/DRU83L4VXA9rxwSQ6
    Last edited by Spitfire; 31-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Phil_H likes this.

you know the rules....how muchy?????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you know the rules....how muchy?????
    Mickey - I’m not desperate to sell it, but I also really don’t need it. I bought it for $1500 with a vgc DPT can and 1/2-28 tpi thread. It’s bedded and previous owner said around 200 rounds down the barrel. Bore has been thoroughly cleaned of copper and carbon and looks mint, but I never fired it. Bolt fit in the raceways and lug contact are very much better than other Remingtons I have owned. If anyone is keen I would pass it on for what I paid. It’s living with forum member Brenick while I am away in Aus working.

Cheers

Bought on a whim and I was planning on running 145 ELD-X and Superperformance at 3000 or close.