Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: New 90 gr 243 ELD X

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I've got some 95gn Targex to try now my BLR trigger and action is well sorted. Also keen to try the ELD Xs.
    Ive shot plenty of deer and Tahr with the 95 Targex. They are a good projectile that behave like the Berger.
    veitnamcam and Tikka7mm08 like this.

Neck shot @ 300 odd yards with the 95 Targex. Ouch.

Name:  IMG_0466.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  3.93 MB

Wow...they work then!

Targex work very nicely, only reason I'm not still using them at the moment is I have a few hundred projectiles to use up first.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    This is excellent news, thanks @Mooseman for spotting it. I’ve used the Sierra ProHunter 100gr for over 20yrs, and have been considering testing out the GameChanger 90gr for the benefit of the higher BC. So to have the ELD-X to test as well is well pleasing.

Quite a high percentage of my .243 shots are well past 200m out to 300m+, with all the normal breeze considerations. So I’m looking at the quoted BC of the 90gr GameChanger and thinking hmm, that G1 0.490 looks quite high, especially considering the ELD-X is quoted at 0.409. But the way Sierra quote BCs is different, it will fall to 0.400 and below quite quickly. Will be very interesting to do some drop tests with both of these bullets, with the ELD-X in 6.5mm and .308 both bullets have performed better for me than the models say they will.

The 6.5 and .308 ELD-X are proving to be emphatic killers of goats and deer (with the one exception), perfect blend of fragmentation of the top half with the bottom half punching on through. Hope the 6mm performs similarly.
    how do you rate the 100 gr pro hunters. I've bought 100 but am yet to get my reloading gear together.

I’ll second the targex projectiles in the .243

Walking my rifle
    I use the pro hunters, the BC is rubbish but keeping the shot this side of 350 they work fine, full penetration on broadside shots and the deer drop quick enough.
    They are a good bullet, cheap too, just rubbish BC
    dannyb likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    I use the pro hunters, the BC is rubbish but keeping the shot this side of 350 they work fine, full penetration on broadside shots and the deer drop quick enough.
    They are a good bullet, cheap too, just rubbish BC
    i don't intend on shooting fyrther than 300 with a 243 so no worries there

a farmer i know is selling me some 90 gr SST so we'll seen how those go.

Mooseman
    My old sav 99 243 stabilized the berger 87gr VLD hunting bullet just fine and dropped some red hinds and goats.
    Z

They are finally here @Mooseman.

Am sorting out an order right now.
    Mooseman likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten
    They are finally here @Mooseman.

Am sorting out an order right now.
    Mine arrived three weeks ago but I still haven't got around to loading any yet
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    how do you rate the 100 gr pro hunters. I've bought 100 but am yet to get my reloading gear together.
    The ProHunter has been my 243 bullet for longer than I can remember. It has accounted for hundreds of animals, roe, fallow, reds, gazzillions of goats, pigs.
    @NewbieZAR is spot on with his range assessment, this one was taken at precisely 350m. It wobbled, took a step, fell down the bank. The ProHunters expand and shed fragments and do a lot of peripheral damage in the engine room.

Name:  38FC51D3-9354-4C2F-97F3-6851154B434D.jpeg
Views: 1061
Size:  2.03 MB

The only thing I would say is that I'm very careful not to use these bullets in difficult wind conditions much past ~200-225m as they can misbehave. A heavier, higher BC bullet is the go on days like that, so I take either the Creedmoor or .308.

Its this reason why I'm so keen on getting the 90gr ELD-X to work. It will deal with wind heaps better than the ProHunter.
    GWH, Mooseman, matagouri and 1 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I'm sure I was reading a post with a table on various 6mm chamberings using 2209 and rl26, on the forum today. Fucked if I can find it though, can anyone help me out?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Look under the Firearms, scopes etc section under 6mm Comparisons by Flyblown. I think that's the one.
    Tommy likes this.

The ProHunter has been my 243 bullet for longer than I can remember. It has accounted for hundreds of animals, roe, fallow, reds, gazzillions of goats, pigs.
    @NewbieZAR is spot on with his range assessment, this one was taken at precisely 350m. It wobbled, took a step, fell down the bank. The ProHunters expand and shed fragments and do a lot of peripheral damage in the engine room.

Attachment 117349

The only thing I would say is that I'm very careful not to use these bullets in difficult wind conditions much past ~200-225m as they can misbehave. A heavier, higher BC bullet is the go on days like that, so I take either the Creedmoor or .308.

Its this reason why I'm so keen on getting the 90gr ELD-X to work. It will deal with wind heaps better than the ProHunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm sure I was reading a post with a table on various 6mm chamberings using 2209 and rl26, on the forum today. Fucked if I can find it though, can anyone help me out?
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....parison-53076/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk