Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: new project. what to do.........

L.R
    I doubt the amax will hang together tho at those speeds. Will prob need to shoot GS custom bullets to get max velocitys from it, and a fast twist will hold it back.

i see i see, what speeds do you reckon you will get? isnt there like a maximum possible speed that powder burns or something, somewhere around 5200fps?

L.R
    I'm sure it won't be up that fast mate. I really don't know. Ill find out once I've done it. Like others have said tho sometimes big cases on small bullets won't get the speeds you expect so well have to wait and see.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    All I know is that Abe told me you had a winge about me.

I don't know why your amused Dave, your always making out how your more experienced than every one else but when your called on it you back right off.
    Never backed down from anything important in my life. Never will. Your still posturing and pissing though? This is simply not important. It's the Internet. It's stupid.

You were trying to be the man insinuating I am doing something wrong or dangerous by using the powder I do. I can't see the point in arguing about it as it is working for me, and others I know with the same cal.
    End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

L.R
    Go back through and read what I said again Dave. I never said you or anyone else was doing anything wrong or dangerous. I thought I spelt out pretty well that it was MY view on it.

I still believe its better to run a bigger chambering at lower pressure using conventional powder to achieve your desired velocity. However I don't always live by that rule myself and sometimes I use double base powders ect, however I prefer not to.

90gr Bergers. Why have all that case capacity and run light bullets. You can still try them in it for shits and giggels

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    90gr Bergers. Why have all that case capacity and run light bullets. You can still try them in it for shits and giggels

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    +1.

My 1-7 twist 22-243 shoots the 90 Bergers at 3100-3200 happily until the barrel gets hot, .552 G1 BC.

I can run them at 3300 with a powder change but the projectiles don't like it & say only 50-60% will get to the target even when it's cold/warm.

I haven't bothered running them that hard apart from testing even though it is blindly accurate with either load.

I prefer that the projectile gets to the target in one piece

My fast twist one would put the 30 Bergers out at 5100+ & 50s out at 4100+, when I improved it there was very little increase in speed

that sounds like the conversation I had with mitch maxberry bullets he was sending down range were turining into grey clouds and not making it to target

pushing the amaxes that fast surely would cause nothing but bullet surface blow ups right?

6.8x63AI
    Then just wait on the new high BC accubonds coming out
    how boring I am, this I know
    Shearer likes this.

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    +1.

My 1-7 twist 22-243 shoots the 90 Bergers at 3100-3200 happily until the barrel gets hot, .552 G1 BC.

I can run them at 3300 with a powder change but the projectiles don't like it & say only 50-60% will get to the target even when it's cold/warm.

I haven't bothered running them that hard apart from testing even though it is blindly accurate with either load.

My fast twist one would put the 30 Bergers out at 5100+ & 50s out at 4100+, when I improved it there was very little increase in speed
    That's why there is no point using a fast twist barrel. I thought the whole point of making the 223saum is to max out the speed and those heavy projectiles require fast twists which vaporize the bullet at high speeds.

I think ill use 60gr GS customs if I can get any. Ill have to find out what twist they require. Any body know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    I'm about to do another 6.5x55AI for my Blaser R8.... I think that maybe Hunty's rifle was my Sako 75 Finnlight with 24" Trueflight Barrel..

I believe that my loads for it were around 50gr of N560 (maybe 50.5gr) for 3050 fps in Lapua brass...

I will make the Blaser barrel standard length of 23" and hope to use the new Nosler LR 129gr (if it ever turns up) in it for 3100-3200....
    Yea it is Sidney, the load is 51gr of n560, Greghud if you want to have a look at it or give it a test drive then let me know, (almost forgot who started this topic!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    +1.

Shit I meant the slow twist 1-14 with the 30s not the fast 1-7 opps

That's why there is no point using a fast twist barrel. I thought the whole point of making the 223saum is to max out the speed and those heavy projectiles require fast twists which vaporize the bullet at high speeds.

I think ill use 60gr GS customs if I can get any. Ill have to find out what twist they require. Any body know?
    I guess it depends how far you want to shoot.

Those 90s are still very accurate past 1200, you just really struggle to see or hear a strike.

I have shot plenty of bunnies pst 750 with it, best is 900

Here is the GS data for the 60 HV

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

L.R
    Thanks for that Greg. Looks like I need a 8 twist for those anyway and a 8 twist should be ok with the 90 Berger at those speeds if I'm lucky.

Thanks for that Greg. Looks like I need a 8 twist for those anyway and a 8 twist should be ok with the 90 Berger at those speeds if I'm lucky.
    I tried the 90 Begers in one of my extra long throated 22 Terminators, the 1-8 wouldn't stabilise them at 2825 fps, you might get lucky ?

I have found you need truck loads more speed to try to compensate for not enough twist, it is easy to work out the projectile RPM.

Luckily very barrel is different

for fucks sake, another thread trolled and now off topic to death. Was interested to see more debate of the 6,5s...