Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Primer Shortage...to be continued???

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    A, D, & "E sell some to friends and club members at your cost price."
    You need to factor in inflation, especially if they have been stored for 12 months or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Nah. That's a FOX News line.
    US supplied ammo and equipment comes from old existing US stock. The US literally has 100s of billions of 5.56 and 7.62mm small arms ammo.
    Yes the US arms manufacturers are gearing to step up production, as they have contracts for new (not replacement) more modern equipment, but its not for small arms ammo. Its for bigger stuff. Think 155mm arty rounds and GMLRS and ATACMS rockets.
    Creating a new factory, staffing and production line takes up to 2-3 years to get going these days. So no impact from the war in the US.
    Plus the US won't be manufacturing 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 ammo for Ukraine. It comes from existing worldwide stock.
    Interesting, I know I saw a video in the news where I think it was the likes of federal making an order of 7.62x39 to send to ukraine but that was in the early days of the war and I think it was a donation of their own actions, not any order from the US government.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Interesting, I know I saw a video in the news where I think it was the likes of federal making an order of 7.62x39 to send to ukraine but that was in the early days of the war and I think it was a donation of their own actions, not any order from the US government.
    Private donations of small arms ammo are coming from US companies and individuals. But not formal USA Government aid.
    Old_School likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Keep a open mind, sometimes loaded ammo is cheaper than the components.
    This

I think a lot of people fail to factor in the time, fuel and effort taken for reloading.

Especially if you have to make a pilgrimage just to find components.

Then load development.

Sometimes buying factory saves you money, especially if you sell the brass on (general rule of value is 1 packet of 20 factory rounds= 5 packs of 20, once fired brass).
    tikka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    This

I think a lot of people fail to factor in the time, fuel and effort taken for reloading.

Then load development.

Sometimes buying factory saves you money, especially if you sell the brass on (general rule of value is 1 packet of 20 factory rounds= 5 packs of 20, once fired brass).
    Thats all good if the factory stuff shoots well in your riffle or you can find heavy projectiles in factory loads.

Most people that reload either want super accurate ammo or do so because they can't get the weight of projectile they are looking for in a factory load.
    tikka, dannyb and EmpireSafaris like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Listening to the "reloaders podcast"
    They are based in the USA. Primer availability is low there, so I assume that it will be a while before supply increases here.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Thats all good if the factory stuff shoots well in your riffle or you can find heavy projectiles in factory loads.

Most people that reload either want super accurate ammo or do so because they can't get the weight of projectile they are looking for in a factory load.
    Yeah I am aware of that, I reload too.

And have plenty of consumables.

But someone buying all the gear (eg. Area 419 press, AMP Annealer, AutoTrickler V4) just to replicate Hornady or other factory ammo is pointless.

Some spend so much time at the loading bench and doing 'load development' that they barely get out.

I know for some that reloading is a hobby in itself, but I see it as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Agree
    caberslash likes this.

workmate is down to half dozen rounds of 6.5costsmore..... had 60 rounds on trademe the other night for $260 but they sold before he pushed button....he buys a box or two and shoots way through it over year or two or three then buys more...it would be pointless for him to reload. but $90 for 20 rounds hurts just thinking about it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Theres no doubt about it once you have the gear you may as well reload especially once you have a good load sorted.

There is something satisfying knowing you shot something with your own reloads.
    Micky Duck, dannyb and Happy Jack like this.

its where the whackamole really shines....
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Like codyslab?

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    This

Then load development.

Like saying talking about sex is more enjoyable than doing it. Nothing more satisfying than a beast going down to your own rollie.
    techno retard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Like saying talking about sex is more enjoyable than doing it. Nothing more satisfying than a beast going down to your own rollie.
    Maybe if I cast the bullets, drew the case from a brass rod (or did some complex case forming), made the primer from a cap gun and strike-anywhere matches (now banned) and synthesised the powder from bat guano.

Saying ' I make my own ammo! ' with store bought components isn't quite the same achievement.

In fact, I'm very surprised that reloading is still permitted by the nanny state.

Plenty have displayed the aptitude to fuck up despite the plethora of 'how to's' that exist.

The only people driving up costs ( instead of waiting and trying another hobbie) are those who pay these prices. Retailers monitor this and hyper inflate. It’s as simple as this.

In the northern hemisphere when the primers are found/available again - the price increase is what you would expect in a post covid economy. 50-100 percent increase. Here some tards are paying 500-1000 percent faithfully.

Just buy an Air gun for the mean time. Or focus on small bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk