Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By 30.06king

Thread: Really liking this stuff

Really liking this stuff

Spending much time over the last three months trying to find a decent load for a new .375 H&H. Shooting Barnes TSX 270 and 300 gn, followed by North Fork SS and Cup Point Solid 300 gn. It's been a battle as none of the usual powders produced results I know this great calibre is capable of. I think the issue could be the barrel itself. I'm seriously thinking of installing a replacement barrel. Along the way I found with this original barrel is it coppers up quite a bit after not too many rounds, particularly in the central section of the bore. So, having achieved nothing from the selection of powders I have on hand I decided maybe I needed to try something else. A bit of research showed Staball 6.5 useable with a 270 gn bullet in .375 H&H and offered temperature stability and reduced coppering. Also, Reloaders Supplies had it in stock. I thought it was worth checking out. I calculated some loads for 300 gn bullet weights and soon after got shooting them at the range. Initial results showed potential and after further load refining managed to end up with a reasonably accurate, and importantly, reasonably consistent hunting load. It's still not the best .375 H&H load I ever worked up but it is useable. So, after the last fifty or so shots with Staball 6.5 I thought I should run the borescope through to check on this anti-coppering claim. By now, with any of the other powders I had been using I would be close to the point of copper cleansing. Well, low and behold, all I could find was the merest small streaks, only in the usual central bore area, and absolutely nothing elsewhere. I find that amazing. I use a couple of Alliance powders with anti coppering properties, which do a decent job, but in that regard Staball 6.5 is the best I've seen. Yep, good stuff in my book. I'm going to buy a couple more pounds to add to my stocks.

csmiffy, lee308, raspy and 2 others like this.