Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Reloading Finocchi 380 / 9 x 17 salve = blank ..............Whatever that means.

Reloading Finocchi 380 / 9 x 17 salve = blank ..............Whatever that means.

What Ho Chaps and Chappess's.

I am wishing to reload this blank firing pistol cartridge 'cos the wee beast is about a $ a bang.
    Seems to me that it should be simple with a Lee Press, correct Lee case holder, Lee primer holder, correct primer, a sprinkle of some black powder and the right amount of Floral Foam Block to finish as opposed to crimping and closing?

Yes No.

I am progressing with small rifle primers and the Lee press comes with only 2 primer holders (are there more?) but lack guidance on the correct case holder size,,,,,,,,,,and I suspect, probably a bit more
    Ideas please

look at the shotgun reloader I sent you.....all you need is a punch to pop out primer....
    hold that thought...you could drill out primer pocket to hold shotgun primer and use just that....try one in shotgun case and see if noise is enough for your needs.
    primers come in shotgun...small rifle,small pistol large rifle and magnum varieties of the same.
    plenty easy to load case with new primer and tiny charge of powder,foam on top sounds interesting but may ignite...maybe cream of wheat???like guys use to fireform may be better option????of cardboard disc
    40mm and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    look at the shotgun reloader I sent you.....you could drill out primer pocket to hold shotgun primer and use just that............."
    Now there IS an idea. Many Thanks
    Micky Duck likes this.

Drilling out the primer pocket for shotgun primers works well did it to a .22 Hornet and shot air rifle pellets with it would be ok in a .380 plenty loud enough
    Tommy and Micky Duck like this.

I did some experimentation today,

Drilled out the 380/ 9 x 7 case to accept a shotgun primer. Ensured that the primer and the case head were "flush" and it did go bang.... and loud enough as the barrel was solid. It is a starting pistol..But with the bang, the primer then became "proud" and as it was in revolver, impeded the revolving of the cylinder.

Did a couple of lowering levels of the primer by drilling deeper into the case to off set the "proud" effect but encountered either the firing ping only dimpled the primer, no bang or a bang and the cylinder locked up with the subsequent "proud" primer.

I suspect that with the primer firing onto a solid barrel, the force causes it becomes proud at the other end.

No problem with the Fiocchi 380/ 9 x 17 salve = blank..Suspect the Ities have balanced the forces.

"Bother, " said Pooh.
    Tommy likes this.

hmmm maybe try the small pistol primer if thats whats origonal....you should have ne trouble punching it out...you COULD taper primer pocket slightly and seat it same way you were with shotgun primer...

Is this in an open/clear barrel, or a starter pistol type barrel with a vent out the top?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Is this in an open/clear barrel, or a starter pistol type barrel with a vent out the top?
    A starter pistol (from gun city... no longer listed) with a cylinder having a 5 mm gap on the discharge side to a blank wall...........Where the bore would be if it were a barrel, but it ain't.
    As I have said, it works very well with the Fiocchi blank. The "BOOM stuff dissipates out via the gap between the cylinder and the non existant bore of the solid barrel

would it be huge issue to drill a barrel hole???? to vent gases and noise in frontal direction.....

hmmm maybe try the small pistol primer if thats whats origonal....you should have ne trouble punching it out...you COULD taper primer pocket slightly and seat it same way you were with shotgun primer...
    I have purchased a pack of small rifle primers from my local trusted suppliers. "WILSONS HUNTING AND OUTDOORS Wanganui (without an "H") :>) which seem to be the nearest size to the "used" primers...........Talk about fiddley........Used carefully, a Lee 308 die pops the used primer out, but there IS a need for the correct shell holder to centralise the case when pushing the primer in.

Oy Vey....my failing eyesight.

When PUSH come to SHOVE, I can bear the cost, but it is an exercise to keep my little gray cells active and avoid early........well late dementia
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 16-09-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

would it be huge issue to drill a barrel hole???? to vent gases and noise in frontal direction.....
    Simple answer , as there is only a dummy one inch hole at the bang end .........a 150 mm long bore hole ?.....yes.

or one sideways to join up with the inch....maybe.....

or one sideways to join up with the inch....maybe.....
    The "inch" is at the end of the barrel nearest to "my enemy". :>)

bugga.....thinking cap on time me thinks.....

God moves in a mysterious way, Her wonders to perform;

As I was needing a shell holder I ended up at Reloaders and 'Bugger Me"... they had a RCBS 380 3 piece die set on a REALLY good price of $30. So add an $11 shell holder( and
    as I do with every order to save postage, add an ingot of Lyman lead) hopefully I am now making progress.
    Back on line to use the fired cases with the appropriate primer

Now to see if the Devil is going to fart in my face.........
    Micky Duck likes this.