Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Reloading - minimalist kit

++ for the balance beam scales. No batteries to leak or go flat. Very accurate....So sensitive that a breezy room will effect their accuracy... Some electronic Verniers and scales can play up around some old style fluorescent lights.....

I’ve been running the RCBS charge master lite scales ever since I got setup. Great piece of kit.

Greetings All,
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. A minimum kit for someone loading a few rounds per year, for one calibre, mostly bush hunting and willing to accept a little less velocity could be pared down considerably. A Lee loader kit and a few other tools can give excellent results this is what you need.

Lee loader.
    Lee case trimming kit (two parts).
    A chamfer tool.

This pretty much how I load my .303 ammunition. Steps as follows.

1. Drive out the old primer with the punch and base in the kit.
    2. Clean the primer pocket with a small screw driver and clean the outside of the case with a Scotch Brite and polish with a Chux.
    3. Size the neck. I use a little lubricant for this and also run the neck over the expanding button in my .303 die but this is optional.
    4. Trim the case with the hand tool and chamfer inside and out. You should not need to do this again with light loads.
    5. Seat the new primer. I use a hand tool for this but the Lee Kit will do it if care is taken.
    6. Measure the powder with the scoop and charge the case in the Lee tool. You will need someone to help with this first time to make sure you have the right powder for the scoop you are using.
    7. Seat the projectile using the Lee tool.

That is all there is to it. And yes I have tried seating the primer with the hand tool and a full face mask just in case. No problems. I tried a Lee Loader years ago in my first .303 and things did not go well. I think that the chamber was out of round, reasonably common in the older rifles. I gave my Lee loader to a young chap who had a P14 .303 and he used it for years.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, Cordite and davetapson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. A minimum kit for someone loading a few rounds per year, for one calibre, mostly bush hunting and willing to accept a little less velocity could be pared down considerably. A Lee loader kit and a few other tools can give excellent results this is what you need.

Lee loader.
    Lee case trimming kit (two parts).
    A chamfer tool.

This pretty much how I load my .303 ammunition. Steps as follows.

1. Drive out the old primer with the punch and base in the kit.
    2. Clean the primer pocket with a small screw driver and clean the outside of the case with a Scotch Brite and polish with a Chux.
    3. Size the neck. I use a little lubricant for this and also run the neck over the expanding button in my .303 die but this is optional.
    4. Trim the case with the hand tool and chamfer inside and out. You should not need to do this again with light loads.
    5. Seat the new primer. I use a hand tool for this but the Lee Kit will do it if care is taken.
    6. Measure the powder with the scoop and charge the case in the Lee tool. You will need someone to help with this first time to make sure you have the right powder for the scoop you are using.
    7. Seat the projectile using the Lee tool.

That is all there is to it. And yes I have tried seating the primer with the hand tool and a full face mask just in case. No problems. I tried a Lee Loader years ago in my first .303 and things did not go well. I think that the chamber was out of round, reasonably common in the older rifles. I gave my Lee loader to a young chap who had a P14 .303 and he used it for years.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    with the set of LEE spoons it has a chart with a whole raft of powder types and what weight each volume of spoon SHOULD throw.....so far its been pretty darn close.
    Cordite likes this.

Greetings All,
    Additional to What Micky Duck has said above I think that the scoop that comes with the Lee Loader is 2.8cc. My older set has one in cubic inches that translates to 2.74 cc. Based on the chart on the website this would throw 38.3 grains of AR2208/ Varget and 38.4 grains of AR2206H/ H4895. The AR2208 load is a start load with the 174 grain Hornady round nose and the AR2206H load a mid load with the 150 grain projectile. Anyone who thinks that a 174 grain round nose projectile at around 2,300 fps would bounce of a deer should remember that Bell shot very roughly 200 elephants before WW1 using a .303 with a 215 grain solid that was a lot slower than that.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings All,
    Additional to What Micky Duck has said above I think that the scoop that comes with the Lee Loader is 2.8cc. My older set has one in cubic inches that translates to 2.74 cc. Based on the chart on the website this would throw 38.3 grains of AR2208/ Varget and 38.4 grains of AR2206H/ H4895. The AR2208 load is a start load with the 174 grain Hornady round nose and the AR2206H load a mid load with the 150 grain projectile. Anyone who thinks that a 174 grain round nose projectile at around 2,300 fps would bounce of a deer should remember that Bell shot very roughly 200 elephants before WW1 using a .303 with a 215 grain solid that was a lot slower than that.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    My limited experience of spoons is that you need to get a consistent action to get a consistent measure - I'm leaning towards scoop, no tap, pour. My taps lead to inconsistent amounts of powder jumping out of the scoop.

The electronic scale seems pretty consistent - I check the zero each time I put the pan on, and it always returns to 0g.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    My limited experience of spoons is that you need to get a consistent action to get a consistent measure - I'm leaning towards scoop, no tap, pour. My taps lead to inconsistent amounts of powder jumping out of the scoop.

The electronic scale seems pretty consistent - I check the zero each time I put the pan on, and it always returns to 0g.
    Greetings,
    The way I have always used the scoops is to part fill a cup or similar with powder and press the back of the scoop down into the powder until the powder flows into it to just overflow. lift the scoop out and a slight sideways shake to level it. This achieves a consistent fill. A scooping motion with the open side of the scoop toward the powder will give inconsistent results. I read this somewhere but can't remember where.
    Regards GPM.
    Cordite and davetapson like this.

Greetings,
    The way I have always used the scoops is to part fill a cup or similar with powder and press the back of the scoop down into the powder until the powder flows into it to just overflow. lift the scoop out and a slight sideways shake to level it. This achieves a consistent fill. A scooping motion with the open side of the scoop toward the powder will give inconsistent results. I read this somewhere but can't remember where.
    Regards GPM.
    Read that too. My variation on it is to fill the scoop by pouring the powder into it and then doing a light, sideways shake.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Reading this, and GPM's comment re Bell makes me think of Selous who shot a bunch of elephant with a 4 bore (just over 1" calibre), charged with 'a handful' of powder. 'Handful' depending on who's hand it was, and if that hand was currently being charged by an elephant. And on one occasion two handfuls of powder and two shot after a gun got loaded twice in some melee. If I remember right, the gun held, his shoulder did not, and took some time to recover. As did his nerve.

My grandfather supplemented his income shooting elephant - I'm old, he was old, this is a long, long time ago - and legend has it that whatever he used to hunt with recoiled so fearfully that he had to shoot it once a week to maintain his nerve. I think it was one of these 4 bores (although my brain tells me they called them quarter pounders, but my brain has been wrong before) which he replaced with a .450 Nitro Express double, I imagine as soon as he could afford it.
    Last edited by davetapson; 29-06-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Reading this, and GPM's comment re Bell makes me think of Selous who shot a bunch of elephant with a 4 bore (just over 1" calibre), charged with 'a handful' of powder. 'Handful' depending on who's hand it was, and if that hand was currently being charged by an elephant. And on one occasion two handfuls of powder and two shot after a gun got loaded twice in some melee. If I remember right, the gun held, his shoulder did not, and took some time to recover. As did his nerve.

My grandfather supplemented his income shooting elephant - I'm old, he was old, this is a long, long time ago - and legend has it that whatever he used to hunt with recoiled so fearfully that he had to shoot it once a week to maintain his nerve. I think it was one of these 4 bores (although my brain tells me they called them quarter pounders, but my brain has been wrong before) which he replaced with a .450 Nitro Express double, I imagine as soon as he could afford it.
    Greetings Again,
    I believe that Bell tried the heavy hitters but found it almost impossible to shoot accurately with them. Bell used several calibres including the 7x57 (.276 Rigby), 6.5x54 (.256 Mannlicher) and last the .318 Westly Richards. One of the later Ivory hunters toward the end of his life was asked what he would use now. His answer .308 Winchester with a 200 grain solid. We really have not come that far from the .303.
    Regards GPM.
    davetapson likes this.

4 bore IS quater pounder..... 8 bore will be 8th pounder and a 12ga is a 12th of a pounder.........4 bore = 4 pure lead balls of BORE diameter =1 LB
    WHEN MEN WERE MEN.....
    davetapson likes this.

We really have not come that far from the .303.
    I suspect there is not one species that has not been thoroughly shot with .303's given the ubiquity.
    Would be interesting to know what the common calibres for the Portuguese/French/German colonies.

Unfortunately the common calibre is now probably 7.62 x 39 and the hunting skills not what they once were.