Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Show us your reloading bench

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    he doesnt actually have anything in the fire service act that requires him to record anything , you have a personal usage amount that you are allowed .. he was puffing his chest out for no reason , .
    New to job voli fire chief, didnt get there till the day after was already annoyed that the retired chief another ex brigade member and one active none of whom were designated drivers bought the engine down. Went up to the station the following week and shouted them a few beers and made a donation. Said it was bloody awesome how they responded
    madjon_ and Pengy like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    he doesnt actually have anything in the fire service act that requires him to record anything , you have a personal usage amount that you are allowed .. he was puffing his chest out for no reason , .
    Except that his firemen are the ones who would be fighting a fire in a room or garage with all kinds of explosive in it and no warning.

i have been in the full time paid fire service many years , .. if you had to list every single explosive or flammable thing in your house , that may hurt a firefighter , then no one would ever enter your house hold , and we would stand on the out side and just let it burn to the ground .
    veitnamcam, Savage1, Pengy and 5 others like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Name:  20161218_160219.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  930.7 KB

Running a fairly modest but useful set up

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Except that his firemen are the ones who would be fighting a fire in a room or garage with all kinds of explosive in it and no warning.
    Have you notified the local brigade about the gas cylinder attached to your barbecue or the petrol in your car or mower
    seano and stumpy like this.

There's pretty much no danger of smokeless rifle propellant causing an explosion. Even more so when it is assembled into ammunition. Anyone who has ever burnt it will know its a non event. The bottle of meths, turps and my 10ltr of petrol in my garage would be significantly more volatile.
    Timmay, Hunt4life, stumpy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    There's pretty much no danger of smokeless rifle propellant causing an explosion. Even more so when it is assembled into ammunition. Anyone who has ever burnt it will know its a non event. The bottle of meths, turps and my 10ltr of petrol in my garage would be significantly more volatile.
    Youve never been to good garage fire that had loads of ammo in it then....
    If your reloading room does have a shit ton of powder or loaded rounds in it boys and your house is getting a good bbq mention it to the boys on the truck.
    While you don't have to they'll say thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life, Tuckerbox and 40mm like this.

MSL
    I heard of a guy lighting an entire bundle of cordite out of a 3 foot shell, no movie-like explosion...

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Youve never been to good garage fire that had loads of ammo in it then....
    If your reloading room does have a shit ton of powder or loaded rounds in it boys and your house is getting a good bbq mention it to the boys on the truck.
    While you don't have to they'll say thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I could imagine that, surely what the average handloader has doesn't cause that much of an added danger?

Compared to a lot of you guys my bench is basic, but it gets the job done.Name:  Reloading bench.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  687.6 KB
    308, Hunt4life and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Some of you fellas have some pretty flash setups one of the downfalls of our job is we don't live in our own place so I make do with an old bench with stuff strewn about the place in the garage, would like to set up a dedicated room one day.

Name:  IMG_1738.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  756.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Look on the positive though. You have soo much room for future purchases. One day you will decide to do some reloading and not be able to find that doohickey you know is there somewhere. I am liking that Lapua brass I can see, what are you reloading.
    Reloading 308 for FT/R only at moment.
    Plenty of Lapua - some came with CCI primers already, thanks to a forum member.
    Hornady Classic kit, Hornady 308 dies and Lee 308 neck sizing die.
    Also have some Federal and PMC brass which I'm intending to load with hunting bullets (125gn Sierra, 150 Nosler BT, 155 Amax, 165 Interlock, 168 Amax).
    Picked up 470+ Federal 210M primers to play with as well.
    Just need a cheap 308 hunting rifle that will be used as fitness improves and could be knocked about - and no tears if it does get banged about.
    Seen a couple that are just a bit beyond my financial reach, but would fit the bill nicely.
    For target use - 135 SMK, 155 Dyer HBC, 155 Lapua Scenar, 168 TMK, 168 Berger Hybrid Target and can use either of the Amax in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Some of you fellas have some pretty flash setups one of the downfalls of our job is we don't live in our own place so I make do with an old bench with stuff strewn about the place in the garage, would like to set up a dedicated room one day.

Attachment 60875
    Looks dedicated to me>
    KH
    Feather or Shoot likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Have you notified the local brigade about the gas cylinder attached to your barbecue or the petrol in your car or mower
    No. But then again I would expect them to already know that barbeques often have LPG bottles and cars are likely to contain petrol and to take what precautions are necessary when they see one in, or near, a fire.

Banned
    I could imagine that, surely what the average handloader has doesn't cause that much of an added danger?
    What is average? How is it stored?

Mine is in containers along the top shelf above the loading bench in the garage. About 15lb all up, although that includes an 8lb jug of 748.

If it burns it will be unconfined.

I've seen plenty of people store powder in a safe or other steel box that is likely to pressurize and explode like a bomb if involved in a fire.