Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Spent rimfire casing uses?

Those were the years when we had very few toys. Whatever fun you had, you often had to make alot of toys yourself. Bows, arrows, shanghais etc...and some of the games with 22 cases etc were certainly none too safe. I remember the cases went off with a nice bang with a smack from the hammer, and I remember the bolt bombs too - though I didn't do them. Seem to remember we tried smacking an old 303 case full of match-heads too - can't recall what happened. Cousin lost an eye building some sort of bomb - so that put the kibosh on that one!!

I do remember finding couple of nests full of old rotten duck eggs, so little mate and I waited up a bank in the scrub for the local Waikato Times paper delivery car to come past under us. Perfect shot. As he came through cutting he got about a dozen rotten eggs across windscreen and bonnet. Splattered everywhere - hell of a mess - man it would have stunk! He's out of the car swearing like hell while two little 8 years old scarpered through the bush back to the home - laughing fit to bust. Got away with it too... What country boys did before the internet...

However....whacking 22 cartridges in the vice has to get a prize. Strewth that's unsafe - surprised most of us made it...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Maca49...you must be like me then.
    Did you also make 'bolt bombs' with 2 bolts screwed together with a nut and the nut first primed with match heads before screwing the 2nd bolt in?
    Big bolts were best!
    Throw the whole thing up in the air and run (or duck).
    If it all landed just right there was a very nice 'boom' and bolts and nut separated to fly their own path (and not take out your playmates).
    Modern youth has so much to learn.
    We used to use those paper caps used in cap guns. Just keep folding the caps up until you had enough to fill the gap between the bolts. We couldn't always get matches.

Yep, done the bolt bombs but back when matches where real matches. Also train tracks weren't only used for flattening coins...someone back in the day had a bright idea that if 22's lined up on the track will sound like a machine gun.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Yep, done the bolt bombs but back when matches where real matches. Also train tracks weren't only used for flattening coins...someone back in the day had a bright idea that if 22's lined up on the track will sound like a machine gun.
    My dad had a schoolmate lose his life to one of those bolt bombs
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Maca49...you must be like me then.
    Did you also make 'bolt bombs' with 2 bolts screwed together with a nut and the nut first primed with match heads before screwing the 2nd bolt in?
    Big bolts were best!
    Throw the whole thing up in the air and run (or duck).
    If it all landed just right there was a very nice 'boom' and bolts and nut separated to fly their own path (and not take out your playmates).
    Modern youth has so much to learn.
    Hot tip: Tie a strip of rag around the head of one of the bolts, (a) gives you something to swing the assembly around before letting it go so you get more hight and (b) tends to cause the assembly to more reliably land end-on thereby making detonation more likely!
    Grey Kiwi and Husky1600 like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Hot tip: Tie a strip of rag around the head of one of the bolts, (a) gives you something to swing the assembly around before letting it go so you get more hight and (b) tends to cause the assembly to more reliably land end-on thereby making detonation more likely!
    Genius. I just eyeball dropped them off bridges onto railway tracks.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You sound like one of those annoying grand parents who gives the grandkids and horrendously noisy toy with a battery which lasts forever, then buggers off laughing.
    Is it not a grandparent’s duty to spoil grandchildren, teach them bad habits, encourage them to swear and to inform them of all of the things that annoy their parents? Do you mean to say that I have been getting it wrong? My grandsons seem to find it amusing.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    locking the case up in the vice and hitting the rim with a hammer made for interesting experiences too....
    Or winding the bolts too tight while in the vice,my chin still has the scar 40 yrs later..

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Some kids at my high school tried that one. It made front page of the paper.

Swaging used rimfire cases and loading them was the foundation of Speer ammo company.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Ha! Those of us old enough would remember the days of real fireworks like Double Happies and their bigger variety Thunderflashes.
    I, along with my cousins would cut short lengths of copper pipe the same diameter as the cracker and about 12" long, then crimp one end around a nail leaving a small hole. Thread a piece of cotton through the hole, tie it to the fuse then pull the cracker down the tube so the fuse poked out of the hole. Slide a ball bearing wrapped in toilet paper down on top of the cracker and light the fuse.

My old man took most of the skin off my arse when I shot a hole in the drivers door of his brand new Vauxhall Victor 101

Yeah. Guy Fawkes was fun blowing up spuds and such with those.
    sharps no 1 likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Got an xray coming up? Swallow 10 for lols
    kidmac42 and 223nut like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

You Guys are cracking me Up, (bolt bombs) made me realise how much mischief (fun) it was growing up in the 60s. Different world than today and thats a shame, afterall we all grow up straight and true. Good Stuff
    madjon_ and Grey Kiwi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You sound like one of those annoying grand parents who gives the grandkids and horrendously noisy toy with a battery which lasts forever, then buggers off laughing.
    Battery powered toys... Pffft! If you truly hate someone, buy their kid a drum set!
    Barry the hunter and kruza like this.