Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Suppressing a 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Can it be done with a muzzle forward on the marlin guide guns?
    Yes, DPT make them, looked into it a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Hi rossi, I've got a 44 and tried the 300grn XTP. They are very accurate but the lead is too hard ( they are made for protection against Bears) and they perform poorly on game. The 300 grn Nosler HP is much better on game. Neither give performance even close to the photos you posted of what you got with the cast big metplat bullets in your 4570
    hey MoaH, good info . . back n the day when i 1st tried the XTP they were a real step up from the cast classic pistol bullets i started with, performance was brutal at close range on Goats & Fallow, smashing running animals in med step, Big holes in their chest you could look into, clockwork spread across the ground . . holy fck moments. After that i got seriously into big bore subs.
    but Nothing stays the same, old designs change . .
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

My 45/70 is 14". If your shooting full house factory loads from a 14" barrel, you will have significant muzzle flash, which means suppressor wear. If you do your own loads to burn completely within the 14", no flash, no excessive wear.
    For example, I'm using 450gr cast bullets on about 15gr of ADI AP100. Complete burn within 5" and should get about 1000fps (haven't had a chance to chrony yet)
    All of my numbers are based off quickload software, extremely useful for reloading.
    berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Anything *can* be done. The question is why??

They do chamber revolvers in 45/70. So you can go as short as your license/endorsement allows.

Supressing is normally done by threading the end of the barrel and screwing on a muzzle device.
    Change your doctor and learn to pass a medical like everyone else does mate. The audio test is the easiest to bullshit of all of them.

Back in the early '70's I started making centrefire suppressors commercially (probably the first) and the first few were over-barrel jobs on shortened .45/70 H&R Toppers. The barrels were shortened to about 14" giving an overall length of just over 30" without the suppressor, and fully assembled were the same length as the standard rifle. The rifles were 'scoped on the factory supplied Weaver base, and worked extremely well, especially with subsonic loads. They were surprisingly flat shooting with the big heavy lead bullets out to about 200 metres and flattened whatever they hit. I did quite a few of them before I started on other, more common, centrefire calibres, and then everybody wanted them! I have some photos of those early ones somewhere.

Dude I have been a pilot all my life. So yes, I must be smarter than you and yes, the audio test is easy as fuck to pass even if you are deaf as a beetle.
    I enjoy your posts and agree with most, but dont step where you dont know , mate.

I recently bought one of those single shot Henry 45-70s and really like it.

Starting to experiment with handloading the brass and also wondering about getting it threaded but wondering what real benefit a suppressor would have?
    It would reduce the noise but maybe not by all that much.

For practice we can use hear pro and lighter loads. For hunting the number of rounds used might not harm our hearing at all if we can hit what we aim at.

I would like to get some cast lead projectiles as well but can't find any just now.

I loaded some cast 165 grain bullets for my Henry Brass 30-30 with 14 grains of AR 2205 and they do not make much noise or have much kick but still work well out to 100M.

I am going to try some Hornady 300 gr HP with 40 to 50gr of H335 in the 45-70 when we are allowed to go out again.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    If you meant Something like that :
    Can simply fitted at the end of a non ported barrel
    Attachment 176108
    that works with the smaller calibers like the 357 and 44 in the model pictured but my 45/70 1895 sbl dino gun does not have enough barrel protruding past the mag tube to allow fitment of supressor .
    It would need what I would imagine would be a fair amount of money spent to shorten the mag tube slightly and cut a new dovetail in the barrel for the mag tube mount .
    Obviously a different model may not have that problem , with say the 20" barrel as opposed to my 18.5" .
    born to hunt - forced to work

I think C404 is not quite as smart as he claims, as I am sure he should have referenced the post following mimms2 where there was a post from JMJW wishing to retain his hearing for his pilot's licence.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I think C404 is not quite as smart as he claims, as I am sure he should have referenced the post following mimms2 where there was a post from JMJW wishing to retain his hearing for his pilot's licence.
    and on that note , in bush , mine running even subsonic rounds with no suppressor is still an ear ringer .... literally , so if a bush gun will need to be supressed if hearing protection is tantamount .
    Amazing how much the noise is reflected back from the surrounding bush . Maybe not such an issue on open ground .
    born to hunt - forced to work

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    and on that note , in bush , mine running even subsonic rounds with no suppressor is still an ear ringer .... literally , so if a bush gun will need to be supressed if hearing protection is tantamount .
    This is what put me off 45/50 for a bush gun. My requirements were as short and quiet as possible and able to manage both factory subsonic and supersonic rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Amazing how much the noise is reflected back from the surrounding bush . Maybe not such an issue on open ground .
    Some things reflect sound and others absorb it. Cloth and irregular shapes are both excellent sound absorbers. Many years ago I was part of a theatrical group that staged western hold-ups, gangster stand-overs, etc. for corporate functions. During one such event it a crowded ballroom I fired a 10 round burst of 7.62mm blanks into the air from my M60 and was surprised that people 30 feet away didn't seem to notice! Similarly, my early .22 suppressors had neatly machined baffles and were quite efficient, but I later changed to baffles that were rolled on a mandrel from tube (to save time and money) which left a rough serrated edge and they were noticeably better, even though the critical dimensions remained the same.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Variant View Post
    I recently bought one of those single shot Henry 45-70s and really like it.

Starting to experiment with handloading the brass and also wondering about getting it threaded but wondering what real benefit a suppressor would have?
    It would reduce the noise but maybe not by all that much.

For practice we can use hear pro and lighter loads. For hunting the number of rounds used might not harm our hearing at all if we can hit what we aim at.

I would like to get some cast lead projectiles as well but can't find any just now.

I loaded some cast 165 grain bullets for my Henry Brass 30-30 with 14 grains of AR 2205 and they do not make much noise or have much kick but still work well out to 100M.

I am going to try some Hornady 300 gr HP with 40 to 50gr of H335 in the 45-70 when we are allowed to go out again.
    plenty on trademe....both magnum imports and Roberts last time I looked.

FWIW, I went with a Bergera .45-70 over a Henry because the bergara I can brake down to put in panniers. I put a DPT on it, no extra baffles. Love it, it works a dream.

Factory length it points well, even with the suppressor, it is a heavy beast, (for its size) which helps keep on track following game or standing shots on targets.

I won't shoot it without the DPT, not only because I'm a pansy, but why beat yourself or your ears up?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrygoat View Post
    FWIW, I went with a Bergera .45-70 over a Henry because the bergara I can brake down to put in panniers. I put a DPT on it, no extra baffles. Love it, it works a dream.

Factory length it points well, even with the suppressor, it is a heavy beast, (for its size) which helps keep on track following game or standing shots on targets.

I won't shoot it without the DPT, not only because I'm a pansy, but why beat yourself or your ears up?
    I have one of those in .44 mag and a DPT muzzle forward with 2 extra baffles even with subs it is not quiet still wear ear muffs,
    with it's happy load it very accurate, Really only bought it to test my cast bullets but it is starting to grow on me.
    Micky Duck likes this.