Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tight twist 22-250

Tight twist 22-250

I have been seriously been thinking of re barreling my tikka varmint in a tight twist to take the big .22 pills.
    Eg the 80g eldm hornady.
    Will the 1-8 stabilise them or will I have to go tighter?
    Any other thoughts out there that can utilise the same bolt face and magazines as far as chamberings go.
    I really want something that uses lapua or norma brass and dont want any thing exotic.
    This makes a change instead of thinking about jacinda gate!
    Of to the buy back today with 7 old fucked fire arms to get some jacinda dollars to spend on another rifle.
    Not one evil mssa in sight
    Cheers Andy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Shootm, 199p and jackson21 like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

6.5prc

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

northdude
    6.5 06

Gkp
    I believe 7 twist is too fast
    22 creedmore is a good option

I spent days and days looking at the fast twist .22-250, days I'll never get back.... got as close as negotiating a special Savage import with the wholesaler (Varmint Low Profile) which in the end was silly money and not worth it, so it never went ahead.

I couldn't escape the simple fact that everything the .22-250 could do, the .243 could do better. I had the one cuz in the US in my ear, nagging away, as he and the bros have been down this route with their semi-custom Savages for coyotes and such like, and always ended up going back to the 6mm.

I've got all the models I did if you'd like to take a look.

Despite all my negativity, I'd still like one, just because. But the case is inefficient, they're loud, too overbore, and a whole bunch of other reasons I should just get over.

If I was to look at fast 80gr bullets again, 90% certain I'd go with 6mm Creedmoor. There's something to be said for operating well within a cartridge's original design parameters, instead of going all the way to the edge of its capabilities.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I spent days and days looking at the fast twist .22-250, days I'll never get back.... got as close as negotiating a special Savage import with the wholesaler (Varmint Low Profile) which in the end was silly money and not worth it, so it never went ahead.

I couldn't escape the simple fact that everything the .22-250 could do, the .243 could do better. I had the one cuz in the US in my ear, nagging away, as he and the bros have been down this route with their semi-custom Savages for coyotes and such like, and always ended up going back to the 6mm.

I've got all the models I did if you'd like to take a look.

Despite all my negativity, I'd still like one, just because. But the case is inefficient, they're loud, too overbore, and a whole bunch of other reasons I should just get over.

If I was to look at fast 80gr bullets again, 90% certain I'd go with 6mm Creedmoor. There's something to be said for operating well within a cartridge's original design parameters, instead of going all the way to the edge of its capabilities.
    Andy loves 243s

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

northdude
    How about s grendal

Fulla
    Will stabilize no problem. You could go 22br, I like mine. Get me drunk and I might even sell it to you.

Gkp
    6mm creedmore.... awesome! Single ragged holes

why bother??? seriously how far are you thinking of shooting and what animals??? what cant you do with the barrel on it now using say a 50grn ttsx??? if I can take deer out to 200 at .223 speed cleanly surely your extra starting velocity allows you a little further.... but it might just be an itch you got to scratch.... Ive always said if I wanted to push the .223 to use a 80grn pill I may aswell use a .243...similar to using 90grn in .270.... sounds like good excuse to just buy another rifle to fill the void....

Do it andy, don’t listen to them! you may as well go 40 degree ackley if you do. Bench rest accuracy , The very slippery 75 amax @ 3400, zero recoil, very sexy little round. what’s not to love?
    Worried about noise ? Suppress it . Worried about barrel life? 1200 rounds later you won’t care . Live a little ...How utterly boring is a .243
    Shootm, takbok and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    How utterly boring is a .243
    i think your right . . the perception is exactly that, the .243 is boring !
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    22BR is what I'm seriously considering for the heavy 22 cal projectiles. Lapua brass in a no neck turn chamber. (Marginally) Less work than the 22-250AI and better barrel life. Giving up a little performance though so need to decide what is most important. In a 6mm I'd be looking hard at a 6mmBRA or 6mm Creedmoor.

The other option that I'm looking at is a 224 Valkyrie, but that requires a different bolthead. If there was Lapua (or Lapua quality) brass available I'd be all in. The 75gr ELD-M needs a 1 in 8 twist, its a real eye opener to run the numbers on this at 2,900fps vs my 20 Tac pushing a 40gr vmax at 3,900fps (which is basically the same ballistically as a 22-250 with 50/55gr projectiles). 40gr is subsonic just after 700m, 75gr is still supersonic at 1k! and massively better in the wind. Pretty hard to beat the splat factor of the fast projectiles out to 300-400m but then BC and weight really take over.

I don't want to do anything on a 223 case as I already form 223 down to 20 Tactical so another chambering on the same brass is out of the question for me, just to avoid potential headaches (or worse!) with brass mix ups...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I have been seriously been thinking of re barreling my tikka varmint in a tight twist to take the big .22 pills.
    Eg the 80g eldm hornady.
    Will the 1-8 stabilise them or will I have to go tighter?
    Any other thoughts out there that can utilise the same bolt face and magazines as far as chamberings go.
    I really want something that uses lapua or norma brass and dont want any thing exotic.
    This makes a change instead of thinking about jacinda gate!
    Of to the buy back today with 7 old fucked fire arms to get some jacinda dollars to spend on another rifle.
    Not one evil mssa in sight
    Cheers Andy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Go hard, I am torn between a fast twist 22-250 and another 6.5x47. The rifle I have feels more like a 22-250

BC .485 @3300ft/sec and Lapua brass? what is not to like?

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    1-8 will stabilise 80gn pills.
    My 22-243 is 1-8 and running 80gn Targex at 3440. That is another option same bolt face, neck down Lapua 243 brass and your away laughing.
    Dan probably still has the reamer.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!