Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Typical cold/clean bore effect?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I clean everything out of my barrels after each outing. Both Carbon & Copper. Cleaning rods, jags, patches, brushes, and solvent. Whether I shoot 5 rounds or a hundred. Clean bore shot is usually about a cm to the left at 100m.

It should only take one round to foul the barrel from a stripped clean barrel. If it takes more than a couple shots to return to zero after cleaning then that speaks about the barrels quality.
    I would suggest that people clean their barrels unless there is no possibility of a fouling shot prior to hunting. In which case id still be inclined to throw some oil down it - which may or may not mess with your first round POI.
    I'm with you ChrisW have always cleaned the bore after use, it doesn't matter if it's one shot or 20 still clean with solvent etc. Can't say I have noticed huge differences in point of impact changes not enough to miss an animal, anyway.
    xtightg and ChrisW like this.

On hunting rifles I quite often just use a pull through on them after light use to clean out any powder residue and light carbon and sometimes patch through some oil before they go back in the safe.
    I find with my other target/LR rifles first round shoot a bit lower depending on rifle but I would say 1/2moa on my main one