Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Velocity guesstimate

I use the 151g cast Bullets from Robert with 8.5g trail boss as a subsonic load for small game but as single shot loading as they don’t feed well from the mag on my gun,I might look at getting some of those 125g seconds from trade me and give them a go,was going to use the 150g sst as I have some on hand and data says they still expand down to 1600fps,also have some 110g Barnes ttsx loads but they are bloody loud thru 16in barrel without the can on.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    You could also try a case full of trailboss. Use Shootrnz's cast 151gr HP they will expand and kill at subsonic velocities.
    One of the members on the other Forum shoots them at 1630fps out of a 30/30 and has killed reds at 100+ metres, Try 27 grs 2206H and 28grs 2208
    both loads shoot fine in 3 .308 rifles
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks Robert,how much of the bullet do you think I need in the case neck?i think if I can seat them out a bit longer they will cycle from the mag ok,at the moment the flat nose catches on the way up from the mag,bloody accurate with 8.5g trail boss @ 50m tho.does the other chap neck shoot or the crease behind the shoulder be better you think,be best to try and avoid the major shoulder bones?thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Thanks Robert,how much of the bullet do you think I need in the case neck?i think if I can seat them out a bit longer they will cycle from the mag ok,at the moment the flat nose catches on the way up from the mag,bloody accurate with 8.5g trail boss @ 50m tho.does the other chap neck shoot or the crease behind the shoulder be better you think,be best to try and avoid the major shoulder bones?thanks.
    The bullet really can't be seated out further than the crimp groove there is not much of the bullet left in the case, I've been using a different shaped nose punch
    it rounds off the flat nose a little may help with feeding haven't had any comments so far, I also have a 170 grain semi pointed mould which will feed properly
    if you want to shoot around 1600-1900fps cast from the same lead as the 308HP it will expand well and is accurate I have shot 100 metre 10 shot groups of 1.1/4"
    need to do more load development to find it's real abilities.

The other chap goes for heart / lung shots bullets mushroom very well I was surprised how well they held together at that speed
    Micky Duck likes this.

Huk
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    One of the members on the other Forum shoots them at 1630fps out of a 30/30 and has killed reds at 100+ metres, Try 27 grs 2206H and 28grs 2208
    both loads shoot fine in 3 .308 rifles
    With those loads do you use a fibre filler Robert???

170grn semi point....pictures please......

Pretty sure the SPEER manual gives low power option load data for all their pages per cal. Probably listed on their website as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    With those loads do you use a fibre filler Robert???
    No, but try filler if you want I have not tried filler yet still have powders to work with, I prefer not to use filler if I can
    will try when I have settled on a load to see if it improves accuracy,
    Those loads are quite mild and can be increased we were looking for light plinking and practise loads with reasonable accuracy the 151HP will expand
    to .400" at 900fps reliably maximum velocity should be about 1800fps before lead fouling is a problem

Huk
    Thanks Rob��

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    170grn semi point....pictures please......
    Name:  RW0_1129.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  2.62 MB
    These are from a break-in session it takes a couple or three sessions to get them casting right.
    tikka and Micky Duck like this.

yip they look like they do the bizo just fine n dandy too.....they should go like hotcakes if the 151s success anything to go by.

Yes so far they shoot well I haven't done much development with them yet, would like to get a 30/06 to play with.

Any idea what expansion is like yet Robert?whats the accuracy l8ke?looks like they will feed well from a magazine.

Haven't tried expansion yet, The lead mix is not very hard should expand at 1200fps not for sub loads, have been getting 1.1/4" 10 shot groups at 100M
    but haven't real done much shooting with them other stuff gets in the way

Was thinking a full case of trail boss with these might be ok for deer at bush hunting ranges,want to be able to shoot 16in barrel .308 without the suppressor and not be deafened when using open sights in the rain.50m being maximum range.