Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Wannabe reloader - gear advice please

Ok...so start with dies , say 338.... So how many dies are needed I have seen die sets being sold with 2 or more in them .... So what are the dies required ?
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Ok...so start with dies , say 338.... So how many dies are needed I have seen die sets being sold with 2 or more in them .... So what are the dies required ?
    Essential ones are full length resize (some will decap- push the old primer out) and a bullet seating die (some will need tuning as they also do a roll crimp- not always desirable!).

You will want something that can prime the case too, a block of wood can work but better get a hand primer or a ram primer which fits on the press.

You can add a Lee factory crimp die if you like, never hurts and usually helps.

For powder measuring, buy a Lee Scoop Kit (powder measure) basically a set of ladels with a chart containing most powders and what scoop for what charge weight.

The book I linked to has all this info and more.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Well I have finally decided to take the plunge and have a crack at reloading.
    Know absolutely nothing about it except which end the projectile goes in...
    So after some advice on starter kits to get me going.
    I have not alot to spend so to that end I was considering the Lee Anniversary kit as a possible starting point.
    Does anyone have any experience with this setup and is it a good way to get started with the basics.
    I realize I will also need dies etc to suit whatever caliber and some handbooks for practical info as well and will need to add those to the bill as well as the powders, primers etc hence not wanting to spend any more than is necessary on the tools or it will end up costing more than I can afford.
    Any input or suggestions would be appreciated....
    First thing to buy is a decent reloading manual there is some one listing the ABC's of reloading on trade Me That would be as good as any, I have a copy that is forty years old
    very good read, Read that or some other manual before looking at reloading tools, Most component manufactures of Bullets & powder have reloading Data online, But a how to reload
    manual is gold for a beginning reloader, Most people have their favourite methods for reloading but unless you start with the basic loading techniques you can get lost in the maze and if you have
    not got the basics down pat you have no where to go back to when it goes tits up, So get a manual and read it several times.
    mimms2 and Ftx325 like this.

Yeah ookaaay. Priming I get... that's simple. Either the press does it or use hand tool. No problem. Magnum primers for 338. All good.
    But I think I will have to do some serious reading when it comes to dies , such as crimping etc. This sounds like one of those 'experience required' moments I mentioned to know what is best even when it comes to tooling...
    And there I was thinking getting the tools for the job would be the easy part.....doh
    grandpamac likes this.

ABC's of reloading is here: http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...4%20Reduce.pdf

For crimping, there are three styles.

Roll crimp
    Taper crimp
    Factory crimp

The first two are mostly for pistol/straight wall cases, intended to stop the bullet from backing into the case in a tubular magazine (lever action). The 'factory crimp' is a trademarked Lee Precision item but it is essentially a collet which compresses the bullet slightly and improve accuracy and Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. Can work wonders on some setups but either no change or very occasionally make worse, usually depends on bullet construction and powder levels (compressed loads).

Some good articles: https://www.sierrabullets.com/reload-basics/crimping/

https://blog.westernpowders.com/2015...ridge-success/
    Ftx325 likes this.

Yeah ookaaay. Priming I get... that's simple. Either the press does it or use hand tool. No problem. Magnum primers for 338. All good.
    But I think I will have to do some serious reading when it comes to dies , such as crimping etc. This sounds like one of those 'experience required' moments I mentioned to know what is best even when it comes to tooling...
    And there I was thinking getting the tools for the job would be the easy part.....doh
    Weighing each load is recommended in the beginning. After awhile, check every tenth one or so. I can still vividly recall reloading my Western style ( cheap alloy) single action 44 mag revolver back in the early 70's, with a Lee scoop. The local shop had trimmed it down to a specific load and it worked well, but must have been on the limit. A few shots into it, I decided to pour a heaped scoop...a blinding flash, recoil from hell and a cracked open cylinder! Never daunted, an empty shell was epoxied into it and I shot it like that for a few years. Someone else bought the 5 shooter and continued the wild west show.
    caberslash and Ftx325 like this.

After the great ammo shortage of 2013, I decided, wisely as it turned out, to become self sufficient with ammo and decided to start reloading. Here is how I did it:

1. Started watching Youtube videos on reloading to learn the process and different ways of doing things.
    2. Bought a few reloading manuals to learn from. Most of the major reloading manuals like Speer or Hornady have a "how to" section at the front which is worth reading.
    3. Bought a Lee Hand Press because I was short on money and space at the time and also wanted to see if I was going to like reloading.
    4. Bought a set of dies, Lee powder measure, a Hornady scale, measuring calipers and a few other basics.
    5. Got busy reloading one step at a time.

Now years later I have three presses set up, a Hornady Progressive, a RCBS single stage and a Lee APP and I load over 10k rounds a year.

I wouldn't get too caught up on brand names, just do your research and pick the best tool at the best price for the job. I have just about every brand name on my bench, Frankford Arsenal, Lee, RCBS, Redding, Forster, Hornady, Lyman, etc.

The Lee stuff is built to a price but overall most of it works. Some of the stuff they make is really good and some of it there are better tools out there. Hornady I would say is middle of the road on price versus quality. Redding is my favorite and the quality is high but so is the price.

My recommendation is start with a single stage press and a powder measure. Focus on learning one step at a time. You will make mistakes, ask questions on the forums.

The cartridge specific Lee Loaders are fine if you have little money or space and you shoot a bolt action rifle where you will neck size your cases only. Also good if you just want to dip your toes in without big investments they can work but ideally you will want a bench mounted press.
    10-Ring and Ftx325 like this.

Greetings Again Ftx325,
    By now you have realised that handloading is an awfully large barrel that remains part full however much we dip into it. Well done. I agree with the others that recommend a single stage cast iron press. My current and, I suspect, final press is a Redding Boss. Further I would recommend a press threaded for 7/8" x 14 dies. I also note that Vietnamcam has offered some mentoring. You are on your way. Congratulations.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Ftx325 likes this.

I have been watching plenty of youtube and understand the basic processes....those aren't overly difficult. But like most things I also understand that the devil is in the details..... And watching a guy pour powder and work a press hardly tells the full story.
    I have also had a google last night to find some new 338 dies but no one appears to have stock , so I guess I have plenty of time to study some literature.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Again Ftx325,
    By now you have realised that handloading is an awfully large barrel that remains part full however much we dip into it. Well done. I agree with the others that recommend a single stage cast iron press. My current and, I suspect, final press is a Redding Boss. Further I would recommend a press threaded for 7/8" x 14 dies. I also note that Vietnamcam has offered some mentoring. You are on your way. Congratulations.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Thanks @grandpamac for the sage advice. I was thinking just a single stage press as you mentioned as mine are only hunting rifles , inc the 338 , so don't need to be mass producing rounds. More interested in the idea of being able to produce my own when needed and not rely on what's on the shelf at my local. And as mentioned my preferred round for that rifle is apparently no longer available.
    And I thought it would be a great , useful hobby and skill to learn. And I just plain old enjoy making stuff....
    I really appreciate all the input from yourself and others... especially the offers of assistance and teaching me the fundamentals.
    You guys really are a fantastic bunch of fellas....

Thanks @grandpamac for the sage advice. I was thinking just a single stage press as you mentioned as mine are only hunting rifles , inc the 338 , so don't need to be mass producing rounds. More interested in the idea of being able to produce my own when needed and not rely on what's on the shelf at my local. And as mentioned my preferred round for that rifle is apparently no longer available.
    And I thought it would be a great , useful hobby and skill to learn. And I just plain old enjoy making stuff....
    I really appreciate all the input from yourself and others... especially the offers of assistance and teaching me the fundamentals.
    You guys really are a fantastic bunch of fellas....
    'Sage'...not the Sage of 'annihilate all living or dead Tahr, I trust. For one of the best case lubes in the game, grab a tub of Hornady Unique Case Lube. You'll never stick a case in your die, period. It's the only stuff that lubes 25/303 resizing without effort and lasts a lifetime.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    'Sage'...not the Sage of 'annihilate all living or dead Tahr, I trust. For one of the best case lubes in the game, grab a tub of Hornady Unique Case Lube. You'll never stick a case in your die, period. It's the only stuff that lubes 25/303 resizing without effort and lasts a lifetime.
    I would be quite happy to annihilate a couple of Tahr if the opportunity arises . Being a conservation minded responsible citizen I would be prepared to do my part..... perhaps I could get Sage to sponser the trip ?
    Thanks @outlander , I will add the lube to the list....
    And should I be surprised you are such an expert on lubes...with another thread involving rubber products in mind ?
    outlander likes this.

Greetings Again Ftx325,
    I checked my Redding Boss press and found that it would be a bit small for the.338 Lapua. You will probably need one of the larger presses. Just check before you hand over the cash. The tricky bit would be placing the projectile in the case neck when seating the projectile. The longest cartridge I load is the 6.5-06.
    Fear not outlander, I believe Ftx325 was referring to sage as one who spreads knowledge rather than relationship to the recently demoted person of the same family name. Thanks Ftx325. Sage, I believe, falls many rungs below guru on the ladder of knowledge.
    Regarding Lee Loaders, I have several but only use the .303 one for neck sizing .303 cases. Nothing else I have does this better.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    outlander and Ftx325 like this.

Banned
    Between utube and the load manual info you should be right for basic loads.
    Getting someone to show you and load up a batch while flipping a few caps off brown bottles (after) will shortcut the learning curve to 1evening
    Ftx325 likes this.

I would be quite happy to annihilate a couple of Tahr if the opportunity arises . Being a conservation minded responsible citizen I would be prepared to do my part..... perhaps I could get Sage to sponser the trip ?
    Thanks @outlander , I will add the lube to the list....
    And should I be surprised you are such an expert on lubes...with another thread involving rubber products in mind ?
    You're just pure mischief, mate. It's a bloody good thing that we never rode bikes together in days past.