Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: .17hmr thoughts

.17hmr thoughts

I know I'm pretty late to the party but 17hmr is just blowing my mind now that I've given it a chance!

I resisted getting a .17hmr for many years, I guess it was just the noise that put me off because I had been shooting suppressed subsonic 22lr and PCP'S for a long time and when I needed more range or power I typically picked up my .223 or Grendel and made proper noise.

Through a mate I was offered a deal I couldn't turn down on a basically new Savage A17, the sexy model with the thumb hole laminate stock and heavy fluted barrel. It was a good deal and I figured if I didn't like it I wouldn't lose any money selling it on.

When it arrived I took it to the range with 3 different types of ammo, zerod in a spare Aim Sports FFP scope I found in the cupboard and was blown away at a tiny 4 shot group from 100m!

Name:  Screenshot_20221108-094953_Gallery.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  246.1 KB

This was obviously a keeper so I sent it off to Wingman to have about 2 inches of barrel cut off (pretty much to the end of the fluting) and threaded, they certainly are loud without a suppressor! Wingman suggested a DPT centrefire suppressor running 17cal baffles which has really taken all of the boom away leaving just the sonic crack, which I've actually come to realize really isn't that bad.

Once I got it back I went to the range to do a 50-200m drop test and settled on a 100m zero which was more or less on at 50 and poi at 200m was 1 mildot low. Too easy.

First job was from sitting on the top of a 3m dirt mound on the edge of a barley paddock on Pukeko patrol, managed to get 10 in 30 mins ranged from 45m to 180m. Not a single bird that walked onto that paddock made it away.

Name:  20221105_111342.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  3.30 MB

Name:  20221105_113941.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  3.66 MB

Entry wound at 100m shows the devastating energy these angry little bullets have, massive entry wound and no exit.

Name:  20221107_165152.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  3.37 MB

Happy with this rifle and it definitely has a unique use case that neither 22lr or 223 can offer me.

Welcome to the dark side. I love the 17hmr, as close to the perfect varmint round as I have found.
    Hits bloody hard , lovely to shoot and in maybe 12k rounds plus I have had 2 ricochets.
    Very accurate and can reach out a long way for such a little round.
    Affected by wind but that can be worked around.
    Enjoy.

Yeah Im in the market for one too

Caretaker
    Have killed rabbits at 338 metres with the hmr

Check your ammo for concentricity and grade into “ long range” and” close range” containers
    Ranal, Mintie and flock like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Ill always have .22s but the HMR is my go to pest control rifle. It just works. Point n shoot.

Running it through a Marlin XT (unfortunately no aftermarket stuff for). Even though its capable, my shots tend to be still close, like well within .22 range.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

GWH
    It took you long enough alright Evan!

It's a handy little round for sure, very capable to 200 yards. My very first rifle i purchased was a Savage Classic in 17hmr, and I shot alot of little fury and feathered things with that. It has been replaced with a T1x now, and that is just so easy to live with, and shoots better than my Savage classic ever did. Two mates also have a T1x in 17hmr and they both shoot primo too.

I run my Pard 008 on my 17hmr now and use it for night time pest control (During the day on the bigger orchards I'll use my 17 Hornet, but I don't want to be searching for spent 17 Hornet cases in the dark, so the 17hmr is ideal for that, and still has some legs.

A 17hmr in experienced hands that knows the trajectory etc, not much gets away inside 200 yards.
    Shearer, Ranal, Mintie and 2 others like this.

Love it, ammo was hard to get, now at almost a buck per shot. "Ouch" still loverly to use, devastating results.
    Mintie and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Love it, ammo was hard to get, now at almost a buck per shot. "Ouch" still loverly to use, devastating results.
    Yeah, ammo price n availability can be a bit of a buzz kill but....it just works.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    GWH and Micky Duck like this.

Being so accurate you can put that little pill right where it's needed on larger animals as well.
    Mintie likes this.

Neat little round - had a couple of 17s some years back and more recently trialled a 22WMR in a heavy barrel Marlin. Same case of course - HMR with flatter trajectory and longer range, while WMR's heavier pill gives more smack and more penetration out to 125 or so. Would not be keen to use HMR if you meet an occasional goat - they tend to do alot of surface damage, whereas WMR could be used if animal fairly close with pinpoint shot.

The limitation for our Cantab sites is wind. We commonly have 30-50-60k breezes which limit HMR/WMR to 60 meters or so - depending on direction. For this reason we've all now gone 223, and last bulk batch of Fiocchi 55SP worked out at 75c per round - cheaper than the rimfires. 223 also brilliant on wallabies/fallow which abound on Tekapo sites. Has become the cover-all round down here..

So its horses for courses. If you've got good sites with fairly still conditions for the little rimfires they are alot of fun. Then I'd grab another one to play with..
    308, Mintie, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Something about the sound profile I like as well, (rimfire dpt muzzle forward) crack of supersonic but no boom like a cannon.
    Mintie and BSA270 like this.

Shot an 8 pt sika stag @ 150m thru the back of the swede in February. It just folded using CCI 20gr. It was looking away and aimed at the top of the ears.My son shot a red hind @ 180m with the same rifle. Just wobbled for about 10 seconds then flipped over. Sako Quad.
    Mintie, 223nut, BSA270 and 2 others like this.

Name:  5A1D4CC1-8789-4D96-A042-F7E5FFB2E028.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  1.59 MBFavourite rifle for sure!
    Ranal, Synthetic and GdaRock like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Those dead pukekos made me very happy we are overrun with them here at the moment!
    Ranal and Mintie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billbob View Post
    Those dead pukekos made me very happy we are overrun with them here at the moment!
    As I'm sure you know they are a cunning bird to hunt on a property long term and this 17hmr is just the next tool in the arms race against them.