Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .22 ammo

Same. My Marlin hates those Winchester ones, I end up with a single shot semi :-(

CCI SV, 500 for @$45 isn't too bad a deal, there's just the random flyer that can come out, but then it's still within minute of rabbit. Downside to the solids I've had is that it wasn't knocking rabbits down instantly like HP. They'd run for a few steps 1st, then keel over, whereas HP for me = bang, flop.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Downside to the solids I've had is that it wasn't knocking rabbits down instantly like HP. They'd run for a few steps 1st, then keel over, whereas HP for me = bang, flop.
    To me that is a ethical argument to only use hp rounds.
    That said head shots work with whatever
    Using Tapatalk

Ejected
    Been shooting the lapua Standard Plus and out of both my marlin 795 and @shift14 sako quad they shoot like a laser beam! Smell delicious too when the wax starts burning off on the spent casings too
    mayfly likes this.

Ejected
    Echoing others, different ammo in different rifles.

Marlin 795 top row, Sako Quad bottom. 1 inch circles at 37m, no changing of zeros between ammo or shooting.

Name:  sako marlin.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  ammo.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  157.8 KB
    Dead is better, mayfly and shift14 like this.

I mainly use Fiocchi in my Marlins as mudgripz organised a good deal, same impact point as the CCI mini-mag it prefers (0.5-0.6" groups at 50m) but a slightly bigger group.

The Norinco JW-15A shorty loves the Fiocchi too, 1 inch dots at 50m, 5 shot groups. Huntsman 4x32 scope. First group top right before changing zero for next two groups.

Just wish I wouldn't pull one shot in each group.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    How much did you end up getting it into the coutry for? Have been thinking about getting one myself. My marlin loves the CCI standards. I have a stash off CCI subs but they are rapidly diminishing
    It was around NZ$250 landed after all costs. That said, you only need to process about 5 bricks of CCI SV to pay for the tool based on the cost of CCI subs. I can process around 100 rounds in 5min. Due to the wax buildup in the die, you have to clean it out with a .22 brush every 100-150 rounds. Approx 45min work will easily process a brick of 500 rounds provided you don't put them back into their boxes - I put them into screw top plastic bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    To me that is a ethical argument to only use hp rounds.
    That said head shots work with whatever
    True - a .177 airgun slug doing 730ft/sec to the head is plenty to kill a rabbit at > 45m. I have killed hundreds of them. Any .22lr you use is going to kill that rabbit especially if its a head shot. i don't believe there is an ethical argument in choosing between .22lr ammo, rather the shooters skill and confidence at hitting it properly and not going for a bodyshot.

I

AGH you got a quad! Nice eh - I've been eyeing those 'cause they'd be a good trainer for my t3 sporter

Ejected
    Not mine unfortunately, I'm just the caretaker well shift14 is on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    It was around NZ$250 landed after all costs. That said, you only need to process about 5 bricks of CCI SV to pay for the tool based on the cost of CCI subs. I can process around 100 rounds in 5min. Due to the wax buildup in the die, you have to clean it out with a .22 brush every 100-150 rounds. Approx 45min work will easily process a brick of 500 rounds provided you don't put them back into their boxes - I put them into screw top plastic bottles.
    Thanks man, not to bad a price really.
    Have to add it to the list of things to spend money on, not as high up as id like though

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    How much did you end up getting it into the coutry for? Have been thinking about getting one myself. My marlin loves the CCI standards. I have a stash off CCI subs but they are rapidly diminishing
    Same thing with my Marlin...loves the CCI standards
    Aim, take the safety off.........and dance

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Echoing others, different ammo in different rifles.

Marlin 795 top row, Sako Quad bottom. 1 inch circles at 37m, no changing of zeros between ammo or shooting.

Attachment 26221
    Attachment 26222
    That marlin seems to shoot the same as the sako
    VIVA LA HOWA

For effective killing and low noise I recommend CCI segmented subsonic 40gr. These will shoot to the same POI as CCI standards at 50m out of my CZ 455. The standards are a lot cheaper, perfect for plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidelock View Post
    For effective killing and low noise I recommend CCI segmented subsonic 40gr. These will shoot to the same POI as CCI standards at 50m out of my CZ 455. The standards are a lot cheaper, perfect for plinking.
    Yep thats the exact combo I use. The HP are good efficient killers too

I believe they are, however I would not know since my rifle wont chamber those.