Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Angry Possums.... in a cage

Try a cray noose - very effective way to get them out.
    hamsav and 40mm like this.

Can you get a big enough plastic container with a lid that the whole cage can fit into? Then flood the container with CO2 from a bike tyre inflator https://www.evocycles.co.nz/Product/...RoCiU8QAvD_BwE
    You may need more than one per possum.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Banned
    The shake /walk into a sack method is the way FRI ( Forest research institute ) did it with their box traps. I ran 20 cage and box traps for clearing possums around private homes and gardens when I was 15
    caberslash likes this.

He seems OK now- Parkinsons and a few other things had got on top of him

Taser?

Watch out if using an air pistol. Tried it once about sixty years ago, pellet ricocheted off the possum's head and got my mate in the ear lobe. Never tried again.
    40mm likes this.

That's Jesus telling you you need a gruntier pistol

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    . possums are nice gentle creatures to handle all should be fine.
    It's all fun and games till the front feet come off the ground.... Ok so sounds like my idea is out. A 22 with a good suppressor and subsonics, takedown or a barrel chop. Only you and the possum will ever know
    dannyb likes this.

put the cage in the back of the car, drive a few Ks up the road and make them someone else's problem. Or make a nice short .22 like my mate had in the 70s, a little single shot bolt action cut down unit, that fitted nicely down his builders crack. Was a great for dispatches. Wonder what happened to it, he'd be well dead now.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

hang cage from a string,tied on balance point centre of top...spin it around for a minute of two,possum will be dizzy and disorientated...open door and grab tail and dispatch in normal manner with hammer.... or just use air rifle like everyone else.

Once again the forum comes through with a wealth of knowledge and somewhat disturbingly creative ideas. Tried the coon in a sack trick this morning and was relatively smooth (less so for the possum). Might have to try the spinning swing therapy just to see if you can get a possum dizzy!

When I was kid we used to make these …things I’m not sure they have a name but they are pretty powerful hurt like hell getting hit . would easily stun but likely kill a caged possum, get your self a foot or so of black 15 or 20mm Pvc pipe , we used to use fingers of the gloves you know the yellow dishwashing gloves , just cut a finger off at the base & slide a portion over the pipe and tape it onto it tight , we used stones but I’m sure some lead ball sinkers or bearings would be pretty lethal, I’m sure you could upgrade the glove to , point is you could place the pipe through the cage rite on the possums head & wack ….just an idea & pretty cheap
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    jeez @Boaraxa dont give him good ideas. that takes the fun out of getting @Jake77 to try some risky idea's for our entertainment.
    Oh you mean like trying to strangle it with a leather glove …that would definitely work
    berg243, dannyb and Jake77 like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Don't you lot have captive bolt guns?
    Padox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Oh you mean like trying to strangle it with a leather glove …that would definitely work
    the little huas CAN and DO have ability to draw blood through a welding glove....Ive never screamed like a little girl so much in all my life....and they were heavy welding gloves too.
    timattalon, Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.