Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: CCI Mini Mag or Stinger

northdude
    I found the 42gr Winchesters in the black box really good on grouping
    veitnamcam, Skatieguy and rockland like this.

when shooting high velocity i use the cci segmented rounds from my 10/22. great knockdown in my opinion though i see some others disagree

I have taken the carbon tension barrel off and fitted back the longer stainless barrel and Mae can. Have swapped the old vx2 1-4 scope for a 2-7. Quite a dramatic difference in clarity at night by going to a new vx2. Will sight in tomorrow night with a few of the above suggested rounds and see how in goes. Thanks all.

Sent from my S7e

I agree with GravelBen the segmented rounds were called Hi shock and they were pretty good on small game. I used them in a JW 15 and they were accurate and I used them mostly on possums as I was plucking them for the fur back then and found that a chest shot with one of those put them down on the spot most times, where as the subsonic Winchesters would require more than one sometimes. When plucking the possum I would sometimes find three exit wounds about 3/4 inch in dia where the bullet had expanded and passed on through.
    You can't pluckem if they run away so on the spot was what I wanted. The 22 magnum worked well on any angle shot on the possums not much escaped with them.

WallyR likes this.

@gonetropo
    Do you have a link similar to this one for subsonic HP 22 rounds.
    Your HVHP video has really opened my eyes to how lethal 22 HP bullets can be.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    @gonetropo
    Do you have a link similar to this one for subsonic HP 22 rounds.
    Your HVHP video has really opened my eyes to how lethal 22 HP bullets can be.
    Cheers
    found this one quite by accident but would agree with the findings, i was once told hollow point for bunnies and solids for hares (extra penetration) but having tried the pre fragmented HV i use them on both with great results. i think CCI does a pre-frag subsonic but i have too many 22 rounds at home top warrant buying a pack
    WallyR likes this.

I use stingers, work well.

Check the chamber on those barrels though.

Stingers are longer than 'standard' length .22lr and wont chamber in some match barrels or can cause issues if they do.

Have seen them stuck in a whistlepig before.

F
    mawzer308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    I use stingers, work well.

Check the chamber on those barrels though.

Stingers are longer than 'standard' length .22lr and wont chamber in some match barrels or can cause issues if they do.

Have seen them stuck in a whistlepig before.

F
    Haha I was just about to say that, here's a pic of CCI subs vs CCI Stingers, both are .22lr but have different length cases, the longer Stinger length cases was used to neck down to make the .17 Mach 2. The more you know.
    Name:  DSCF6024.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  282.9 KB
    WallyR likes this.

Stingers were very accurate in my .22 1inch at 50m. They killed very well also.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    What do you hunt? if it is goats then whichever with more energy. But if rabbits and possums then whichever that is more accurate.

Most mid-low end 22 rifle (500 dollars or lower brand new as of 2016) will not be reliably head shot a rabbits at 80 meters using supersonic ammo. Take into further consideration that depending on the terrain and height of grass you may not be able to use a bi-pod or any sort of rest, you may have to take the shot kneeling or sitting and shoot free hand. Even with a mid-high end rifle and more accurate ammo such shot is difficult.

Personally I do not understand the point of stinger. It probably made sense in 1970s because no 17hm2 or 17hmr back then. but nowadays these 17s exist and they are much more accurate at 80+ range, ammo cost is only slightly higher (in the case of 17hm2, same price as stingers).

For me personally, it is HP subs most of the time, occasionally I go with minimag, but if I needed longer range I use 17hmr.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    What do you hunt? if it is goats then whichever with more energy. But if rabbits and possums then whichever that is more accurate.

Most mid-low end 22 rifle (500 dollars or lower brand new as of 2016) will not be reliably head shot a rabbits at 80 meters using supersonic ammo. Take into further consideration that depending on the terrain and height of grass you may not be able to use a bi-pod or any sort of rest, you may have to take the shot kneeling or sitting and shoot free hand. Even with a mid-high end rifle and more accurate ammo such shot is difficult.

Personally I do not understand the point of stinger. It probably made sense in 1970s because no 17hm2 or 17hmr back then. but nowadays these 17s exist and they are much more accurate at 80+ range, ammo cost is only slightly higher (in the case of 17hm2, same price as stingers).

For me personally, it is HP subs most of the time, occasionally I go with minimag, but if I needed longer range I use 17hmr.
    I recon there's a few rifles out there that will consistently shoot a rabbit in the head at 80 in that price range humble jw springs to mind
    veitnamcam likes this.

My old bsa was head shots to 65m never really tried any further

Yes standard 10/22 barrels are not known for accuracy and neither are stingers. I found power points gave best knock down.

CCI Velocitors are the tightest shooting rounds in my 10/22, that's my go to varmint round in a .22LR. It's a fast 40gr round. The 42 Max by winchester are all over the place for me.