Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: CCI Mini Mag or Stinger

I did here a few yrs back not to use stinger ammo in a semi auto. The bolt slides back to fast and shatters the spring seating. I did have a 17 mac 2 semi auto the rounds from this rifle are a nick down stinger I shot off 10 - 15 rounds then the rifle fell apart. the bolt on the semi was opening up to hard, I went through 2 of these rifles before I went back to a bolt action.
    I now use a 10/22 ruger hunting rabbits in the south island.

Has the CCI copper come to nz yet? First Look: CCI Copper-22 Ammo - Guns & Ammo

1850fps!

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bucti View Post
    Has the CCI copper come to nz yet? First Look: CCI Copper-22 Ammo - Guns & Ammo

1850fps!
    Thanks for the link. At first glance it looked interesting. Then I did some research and what I found is disappointing, to me at least.

The first problem is price. 10 USD per 50 in the States. Rule of thumb is double that number is what we will probably pay in NZD. That means at the least 20 bucks per 50. we are now in 17 hmr / 22 WM territory. If you already have a 17hmr or 22 WM rifle you would have no reason to buy the CCI copper.

The second problem is that marlin and ruger have both advised against use of this ammo in their semi-22. Presumably too much blow-back energy. Probably not an issue if you are shooting bolt action.

The third problem is accuracy. To me this is fatal. Usually I do not pay much attention to Chuck Hawks because he seems to praise almost every thing that is made in the USA, even if they are otherwise reputed mediocre. But with the CCI copper even Chuck says it is bad, so bad that he would not take it to hunting:

"My first experience shooting Copper-22 ammo was from a Weaver stance at a 25 yard NRA pistol target placed at only 15 paces. I borrowed Bob Fleck's New Model Ruger Single Six revolver (Model 0622) with a 6.5 inch barrel for this informal first experience with the new CCI ammo, as this day I had brought a .22 WMR revolver to the range. To my dismay, I managed to shoot a five shot group measuring about 4.0 inches, center to center.

Now, while I am not the world's greatest handgunner, I would normally expect to put five shots into about 1.5 inches or less at that distance. I had, for example, just shot a 2.0 inch group, followed by a 1.0 inch group, at 25 yards with a six inch barreled S&W .22 Magnum Masterpiece revolver, using CCI Maxi-Mag HP-V .22 WMR ammunition.

Well, maybe the Single Six revolver and the Copper-22 ammo just didn't get along. Sometimes this happens. I discontinued shooting with Copper-22 ammo until I could get to the more formal upper range area, which features solid bench rests and target stands at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.

The following week, on another beautiful summer day, found me ensconced at a sturdy shooting bench on the upper range, aiming at a 25 yard NRA slow-fire pistol target across a padded rest. This time I was using a Colt Diamondback target revolver with a six inch barrel that, although it has a slight preference for CCI .22 LR Mini-Mag HP cartridges, has always proven very accurate with all conventional .22 LR ammo.

Unfortunately, the accuracy results were about the same. Five shot groups with the Diamondback varied from 4-1/2 inches to 7 inches at 25 yards.

My final accuracy testing was with a Henry Pump Octagon rifle fired from a rest, also at 25 yards. (Normally we test .22 rifles at 50 yards, but by this time I was cautious.) This particular rifle, equipped with a 3-9x riflescope, averages about 1-1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with CCI Mini-Mag HP ammunition.

With Copper-22 ammo, my best groups from the Henry rifle measured 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards (half the normal distance!) and the worst group measured a full 6 inches. The latter was enlarged by a wild flyer, which I did not call and which should have been in the group. At that point I quit testing."

OK... So no CZ and no Annie. But even if you half the grouping with a high end rifle it is still unacceptably bad - 0.75 to 3 inch group at 23 metres! If my 17 HMR did 3 inch at 100 metres I would be disappointed.

Yea i read that chuck hawks article too - still interesting they can get a factory round that quick - see this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuVEexAXaw