Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lasers for night hunting

Trademe logan. But I think the rules may have changed regarding lasers now.
    I have to admit that I was amazed too. I thought all they could see was the beam against the black cloudy sky, but my mate told me on the uhf that the spot was being projected onto the tent fly clear as. I measured it of using wams and it was almost bang on 5km
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I see.. Theres nothing on Trademe now because of those new regulations! Wonder if customs would pick up on it if I ordered one from aliexpress..
    How powerful/what colour/cost is your one?

my understanding is it mainly just laser pointers. You still may be able to get the laser rifle mounted ones.
    I got one of these last year before they clamped down on them and it would do 5km no probs
    Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Cost price promotion 5000MW green /red Laser Pointer with Battery Charger in Set for 10000M / 5000mw FREE SHIPPING

From the reading I did when the law was passed, you're still able to bring them in if they're designed specifically for mounting on a rifle, and/or include fittings for doing so, such as adjustment turrets or rail-mounts, etc.

You might just have to be careful to choose one with wording on the box like 'night shooting rifle mount' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    my understanding is it mainly just laser pointers.
    Yeah that's the problem, I specifically want a pointer for pointing out rabbits when spotlighting..
    Last edited by Spoon; 06-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Use a laser with NV goggles but prefer a scope.

I got mine with turrets and rail mounts from hawkersupplies in chch. Mounts on the front rail nicelyName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407370251.988882.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  61.8 KB

I've got quite a few of the Glock pistol lasers all over the place (red dot). I have one mounted to a 12 gauge and it's really good - it's range is much further than the shotgun's. I made the setup below on Friday - it's last year's 10/22 in ATI stock with 2.5-10x40 illuminated scope with side-mounted laser. Also a couple of focusing CREE U2 LED torches up front. The weather has been too crappy to test it so far but hopefully this weekend. The laser on the 10/22 is more of a gimmick but the one on the 12 gauge is very effective and I recommend it. I use a boresighter to line up the shotgun laser.

Name:  S1.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  203.1 KB
    Name:  S2.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  208.0 KB
    Name:  S3.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  181.8 KB
    Last edited by Tbirdsteve; 15-08-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    5km? where'd you get that? I was looking at some on aliexpress but not sure if they'd go that far
    Govt are getting a bit techy over these now. You have to apply for an import license if the power is too high (can't remember how high, will need to check). I'm after a powerful green laser to fit on to our thermal imagers so that the beam can be used to act as a location designator for land and sea rescue.

What kind did you use for the 5km scouts? I'm sure this would be sufficient.

I havent used one hunting but my uncle had one on a slug gun and we could shoot a can from the hip shot after shot. Cant be that bad if its on a slug gun with vibrating and so on
    what's the best hunting gear - http://www.hunterfields.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Govt are getting a bit techy over these now. You have to apply for an import license if the power is too high (can't remember how high, will need to check). I'm after a powerful green laser to fit on to our thermal imagers so that the beam can be used to act as a location designator for land and sea rescue.

What kind did you use for the 5km scouts? I'm sure this would be sufficient.
    All that is written on mine is the name Paisen. I would hazard a guess that you could source them from Ali express etc .
    I paid around $35 on trademe, but this was before the changes

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...20140924000826
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Tbirdsteve View Post
    I've got quite a few of the Glock pistol lasers all over the place (red dot). I have one mounted to a 12 gauge and it's really good - it's range is much further than the shotgun's. I made the setup below on Friday - it's last year's 10/22 in ATI stock with 2.5-10x40 illuminated scope with side-mounted laser. Also a couple of focusing CREE U2 LED torches up front. The weather has been too crappy to test it so far but hopefully this weekend. The laser on the 10/22 is more of a gimmick but the one on the 12 gauge is very effective and I recommend it. I use a boresighter to line up the shotgun laser.

Attachment 28119
    Attachment 28121
    Attachment 28120
    dam you like a rifle with your torch
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap