Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Organic farm

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    This and Grass fed beef is a niche market that NZ could be world leaders in if we played our cards right.

p.s the wheels are starting to turn
    Organic farmers are like worst stinking tramper you ever shared a hut with.
    The costs of being organic have to be taken into account.
    199p, Rich007 and MSL like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have to say that the whole "organic" thing seems like total fucking nonsense to me. I would argue that any animal and any vegetable is organic particularly given Marty Henry's erudite description on the previous page. A grumpy old bugger like me reckons a chook is a fucking chook regardless of what it has eaten. The only difference between a chook that has spent it's life running around a paddock scratching in the dirt and a chook that has been caged, pumped full of growth hormones and fooled into eating a shitload more mash is that the latter is a damn site more tender and a whole lot more of a plate filler.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I wont be farming them.

Slightly off topic but if anyone's interested im the organic vs non organic food etc from a health/diet perspective, read The Omnivores Dilemma from Michael Pollan. Great read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I have to say that the whole "organic" thing seems like total fucking nonsense to me. I would argue that any animal and any vegetable is organic particularly given Marty Henry's erudite description on the previous page. A grumpy old bugger like me reckons a chook is a fucking chook regardless of what it has eaten. The only difference between a chook that has spent it's life running around a paddock scratching in the dirt and a chook that has been caged, pumped full of growth hormones and fooled into eating a shitload more mash is that the latter is a damn site more tender and a whole lot more of a plate filler.
    Consider it more from a business perspective than an ethical one. If the investment pays back better than current non-organic model then it's got to be worth the consideration. There is a push in Hawkes Bay to be more organic with our food crops and I'm interested. My interest is more from a value added perspective than a lifestyle one though.
    199p likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Consider it more from a business perspective than an ethical one. If the investment pays back better than current non-organic model then it's got to be worth the consideration. There is a push in Hawkes Bay to be more organic with our food crops and I'm interested. My interest is more from a value added perspective than a lifestyle one though.
    KJ I totally get the whole business perspective and lift hats off to anyone who can sell a two dollar turnip for ten dollars. Back in the nineties I made a lot of money taking a service that every competitor sold for seven bucks a week while I sold the self same thing to customers at twenty eight bucks per week simply by promoting it as the best service available. That said, I still think that the whole "organic" thing is a crock of crap and I believe that most of the people that buy organic whatever's do so because it is a trendy thing to do and they couldn't tell the difference between two steaks or two glasses of milk in a blind test. What really shits me is the converts are worse than a reformed smoker or a born again religious fanatic when they start preaching the benefits and the truth be known they know jack shit about it. Fuck mate you got me ranting. Steady Rushy it really isn't that important. Ha ha ha ha
    Beaker likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    KJ I totally get the whole business perspective and lift hats off to anyone who can sell a two dollar turnip for ten dollars. Back in the nineties I made a lot of money taking a service that every competitor sold for seven bucks a week while I sold the self same thing to customers at twenty eight bucks per week simply by promoting it as the best service available. That said, I still think that the whole "organic" thing is a crock of crap and I believe that most of the people that buy organic whatever's do so because it is a trendy thing to do and they couldn't tell the difference between two steaks or two glasses of milk in a blind test. What really shits me is the converts are worse than a reformed smoker or a born again religious fanatic when they start preaching the benefits and the truth be known they know jack shit about it. Fuck mate you got me ranting. Steady Rushy it really isn't that important. Ha ha ha ha
    Take a few deep breaths boss and maybe a Waikato or two. You'll be right.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Take a few deep breaths boss and maybe a Waikato or two. You'll be right.
    Of course. A beer is exactly what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    We are organic here 6 acres ... never intended to be that way its just im to tight to buy firt or drench or anything else
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Steve123 like this.

Organic farm

I like to think our meat is great eating, we don't drench ewes, Bulls only get one drench, never had a vet on the farm, but we ain't organic, we need fert and I hate weeds.
    The current milk price is $5.65 for organic milk and even the big guys aren't profitable at that just to put it in perspective for you guys. @Dundee would be loving $5.65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 10-05-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    199p likes this.

SiB
    This is actually a niche opportunity our ammunition manufacturers should get wise to; they certainly did re steel shot for example. Whilst rim fire manufacturers would argue the economics I bet there's a centre fire possibility.....

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    This is actually a niche opportunity our ammunition manufacturers should get wise to; they certainly did re steel shot for example. Whilst rim fire manufacturers would argue the economics I bet there's a centre fire possibility.....
    You not heard of a potato gun
    Beaker likes this.

SiB
    My laser cannon is on the workbench as we speak but the neighbours seem to object to the brown out the power supply causes. Yes brown out. Google it you grubby gigglers

I shot a farm in Canada for pheasants and grouse, the grumpy old bugger, said, yep but no lead, copper, steel or plastic,
    Came back a couple weeks latter, and he insisted on pulling apart two shotgun shells, I used cork and felt, and bismuth, and sum old 16ga paper hulls,
    he reluctantly let me have a go, as it was his way of saying no, and I had out smarted him, got a couple birds and gave a hand fixing an old tractor, and got supper and an invite back,
    Think side ways a bit, I wonder if something like rock salt, might be enough to stone a bird or rabbit at close range, seen frozen paint ball's kill a cat, what about a wax sabot in a shotgun,
    Beaker and Tommy like this.

You can get lead free air gun pellets, not sure exactly what they are though