Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: rat help

rat help

i have a rat in the compost bin that so far has tripped the standard Victor three times.... this morning the trap was half way down his hole and had been tripped... how do u deal to super rat? definitely not going to poison.

Name:  20190714_141655.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  3.05 MB anyone used these?

northdude
    chuck the cat in there for the day

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    chuck the cat in there for the day
    I would so but he's a pussy

Cover the compost heap with plastic and use exhaust gas from car, toss the neighbors cats in under the plastic for good measure.

Ejected
    Two or three gin traps set beside each other
    Blisters likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Singe some bacon and lash it to the trap trigger with cotton (so it can’t come off easily) Tie or pin down the trap so the rat can’t run away with it then set the trap and wait. The delay caused by the cotton not giving will go toward the trap snapping closed on the rat. Try it and thank me later.
    Wirehunt, Blisters, BeeMan and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Also set the trap with some bricks forming an alley so that the rat can only access the trigger/bait from the best angle.
    Use enough gun

awesome thankyou lads, will post results later on

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    i have a rat in the compost bin that so far has tripped the standard Victor three times.... this morning the trap was half way down his hole and had been tripped... how do u deal to super rat? definitely not going to poison.
    you should never have invited your local MP around in the first place....................

This is my pencil case trap, works well as bait does not need to be placed on trap but can be stored at other end of box, a toddler could put their hand in the hole, but usually only once...you will notice plenty of chew marks around entry hole so shows it is not exactly humane at times but gives the rat plenty of time to tell his mates to fuck off elsewhere.
    Name:  IMG_2725.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  382.6 KB
    Blisters likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    you should never have invited your local MP around in the first place....................
    hahah, our local is Judith Collins.. ..................... i should invite her over to crush the rat
    Wirehunt, Pengy, 10-Ring and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    This is my pencil case trap, works well as bait does not need to be placed on trap but can be stored at other end of box, a toddler could put their hand in the hole, but usually only once...you will notice plenty of chew marks around entry hole so shows it is not exactly humane at times but gives the rat plenty of time to tell his mates to fuck off elsewhere.
    Attachment 115354
    I'll make one at work tomorrow, as im sure old mate ratty knows about the Victor now.. funnily enough last year the other rats would eat the one that had been trapped .
    looks to be 250x 90x 90?
    what trap on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    I'll make one at work tomorrow, as im sure old mate ratty knows about the Victor now.. funnily enough last year the other rats would eat the one that had been trapped .
    looks to be 250x 90x 90?
    what trap on the inside?
    The trap is an old Hanes...I have heard rumors they are not allowed to be used for possums, but I don't know about rats.
    Blisters likes this.

Super rat? Might be best to take the long approach - set up a suitable position - in hiding - night vision scope on the 270 - with 160 grain pills (or whatever else you have ) - When you see him - he will be a gonna - Beauty of this - you do not need to get within 200 yards of him - and provided your nerve holds he will be no more. whatever you do - do not undergun
    Blisters likes this.