Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Show us your Varmint rifles

talking about the HMR.... I might sell my 22mag and buy one... and nope I don't, unless the round looks funny or different to the rest visually i don't normally bother.... whys that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    talking about the HMR.... I might sell my 22mag and buy one... and nope I don't, unless the round looks funny or different to the rest visually i don't normally bother.... whys that?
    I would highly recommend it. If I was going to do it again I'd get the plain jane Savage 93R17G (the walnut one) or a CZ 452. The round kills small critters one shot every time.

Awesome caliber for possums.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Here is my latest, & its even a 17hmr (in keeping with the current discussion). CZ455 Thumbhole Varmint with a Swarovski Z3 3-10*40 with their BRX reticle. Just put a Yodave trigger kit in it which sorted the creep & trigger weight. Also has a Tuiman 2 suppressor on it...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1337926349505.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  17.9 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1337926434760.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  18.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1337926445571.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  18.7 KB
    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Philipo likes this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quite tempted to get a 22LR barrel & magazine for it as well. $250 is pretty good value for the barrel/mag I reckon...

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Here is my latest, & its even a 17hmr (in keeping with the current discussion). CZ455 Thumbhole Varmint with a Swarovski Z3 3-10*40 with their BRX reticle. Just put a Yodave trigger kit in it which sorted the creep & trigger weight. Also has a Tuiman 2 suppressor on it...

Attachment 1827Attachment 1828Attachment 1829

She looks shit hot sam shes a nice setup,

i have a Marlin 917 VSF that i have fiddled with an shoots like a demon, when my brother brings it back ill put some photos up also, dont have much on the above tho

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Yeah you're not wrong about their triggers Sam, Ive got a standard 455 & the trigger was bloody horrible, the worst part of a otherwise neat gun, how muchie was the trigger kit ?

I'll post a pic once I get its new scope sorted
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Yeah you're not wrong about their triggers Sam, Ive got a standard 455 & the trigger was bloody horrible, the worst part of a otherwise neat gun, how muchie was the trigger kit ?

I'll post a pic once I get its new scope sorted
    I actually have a spare kit... I have some adaptors coming too so I can use Burris Signature Zee rings. From J&P Products (i think) if you are interested in a set as well...

Flick me a PM...

Caretaker
    Kiwishooter, I don't think I have a side pic of the BSA, when I'm next out for a bunny or two I will take the camera.

This is what I am running ror scaring the rabbits. It is a Rem X R 100 set up as a 20 VarTarg. I found the origional thumbhole stock to be overly heavy and made for difficult carry on a three or four walk in some of the rabbit country I was - am shooting.

I got a piece or nice light quarter sawn from Brian at NZ Walnut and cobbled another stock together for it that saved me a pound and a half in weight and made it much easier carry. Changed scopes as well to the Monarch at the same time.

Tried a home made butt-pod for a while but can no longer get down prone so shooting is done from standing over a set of Bog-Pod three legged sticks so now shoot mainly inside 200yds in which case the reduced load at 2800fps is just the ticket.

Von Gruff.

Far out Von Gruff. That is a tiny arse group! What is it with you guys and non-standard calibers lol.

What a looker. Funny you took the stock (looks like my Boyds featherweight) off. I've just taken the one off mine and put the SPS stock back on. I'd love to make a stock out of a bit of island rimu (yakka) I've got in the garage but it's a damn heavy wood. If I can get my mate at the old joinery factory I used to work at to let me in, I might give it a crack as a bit of fun.

That scope sun shield is a monster!

I have just made up another stock for my 7x57 as the Walnut was very dense and very heavy. It looks a picture but has taken a bit of a hiding on the hill once or twice so I wanted to replace it for the rougher hunts. A heavy stock is a real handicap on a hunting rifle whether it be for varmints or larger meat on the hill.
    I made a laminate stock but a little differently than is usually done. I started with a 15mm central core and machined the usual stock taper into the core, rather than into the finished stock that cuts though the outer lams. That is the tapering from the mag well through to the forearm tip, then the same from the mag well back through the wrist and the reverse taper in from the butt. I weanted to have all the laminates running paralell with the eventual outside of the stock so I could have it slimer, lighter and yet retain the strength.Layed up the first couple of laminates then markedand cut out for a blind internal mag so I could do away with the heavy 98 Mauser bottom metal. At this stage I skeletonised the butt area of the core and the first two lams the layed up the rest of the laminates and had at it. While shaping I decided to shorten the foreend like an early westly Richards and slim the wrist a little more than origonally planned to be more like an old Manton wrist so ended up through the last lam but it was really only a try stock to see if the idea would work and I also hadn't done a blind mag before so it was really an experiment as much as anything. Made a trigger guard out of some .05 brass I had and everything worked so well so used a jandal glued to a light alloy plate for the recoil pad and ended up with a very much lighter stock and one that it wouldn't matter about any dings etc.

Think about the weight and the end use of the rifle when deciding on the stock timber but it is a really enjoyable way to spend a few hours in the shed.

Von gruff.

L.R
    My new 6.5x47 built by NZ Hunter. Should be a good shooter.

Name:  Gun1.jpg
Views: 2112
Size:  23.4 KBName:  gun2.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  28.4 KBName:  gun3.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  30.2 KB

Nice rifle L.R. Let us know how it goes.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Nice rifle L.R. Let us know how it goes.
    Yeah hopefully start some load work with it this weekend if the weather plays ball, I'm going to start with 130 bergers and H4350.

Kiwishooter
    LR who is NZHunter??