Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Subsonic 22LR round for hunting?

res
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Attachment 44959
    Anyone else tried these boys ? , thet sure are accurate in my Beretta but I havnt actually hit meat with them yet so cant say for knock down power ..... they are solids
    I love them,they don't feed well in some semi's. in a bolt gun,esp with a old bit od 223 barrel fitted,they can be fantastic when combined with a dial up scope and a range finder. not cheep and can be hard to find
    Using Tapatalk

hamsav yes I tried a couple of boxes of Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 gr when they were first sold here,different packaging to that in your photo.

Found them to be accurate at 50 yd. Not surprisingly the trajectory was like throwing a pumpkin,shot much lower than the 40 gr Subsonics I usually use.

Never used them on game because of the rainbow trajectory and I doubt they'd expand much anyway.

Interesting ammo but I'm not sure what actual use it is! Homekilling pigs or sheep in the yards?

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    hamsav yes I tried a couple of boxes of Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 gr when they were first sold here,different packaging to that in your photo.

Found them to be accurate at 50 yd. Not surprisingly the trajectory was like throwing a pumpkin,shot much lower than the 40 gr Subsonics I usually use.

Never used them on game because of the rainbow trajectory and I doubt they'd expand much anyway.

Interesting ammo but I'm not sure what actual use it is! Homekilling pigs or sheep in the yards?
    Exactly that is what they are good for.
    They are hard to find because hamsav has the only rifle in internet land that shoots them well....I got a box years ago(was the first time I had seen them) and in the JW15 I tried them in I would have been substantially more accurate throwing rocks blindfolded....so some rifles dont like them.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    Try them in a AR with a .22 kit-you may need weaker springs but they love the .223 twist. .22lr twist, not so much
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    They are hard to find because hamsav has the only rifle in internet land that shoots them well....I got a box years ago(was the first time I had seen them) and in the JW15 I tried them in I would have been substantially more accurate throwing rocks blindfolded....so some rifles dont like them.
    They go ok through my JW 15 but I figured if I want to shoot above 40 gr it was time to go shopping and got a 223

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    They go ok through my JW 15 but I figured if I want to shoot above 40 gr it was time to go shopping and got a 223

I use winchester subs in both me old toz&mejw15,does the bizzo.
    Remington subs all over the show like a mad womens shit!
    My alltime favourite .22 ammo was the mighty winchester dynapoint &rabbit ammo blew many a snarling possum out of his tree with those ,including one whose left lung or remains thereof decorated me torch&corgi one winters night.served the bastard right for accusing me of humpin his girlfiriend.I shot her in the next shot!
    Those rounds never ever let me down.
    Mind you have half a bloody ammo tin ful of assorted .22 ammo which even after 20yrs im still workin me way through!
    Now the .223 is suppressor fitted cant wait to suprise a few magpies etc with 55gn courier parcels.
    gadgetman, Pengy and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Attachment 44959
    Anyone else tried these boys ? , thet sure are accurate in my Beretta but I havnt actually hit meat with them yet so cant say for knock down power ..... they are solids
    60gr solids too. They approached the load in a slightly different concept. Instead of reducing the powder load to slow it down they upped the weight. If your rifle likes them then they do carry a bit more momentum at the longer rages you will try with a 22. Aguila solids are usually pretty good. I used them in a couple of my rifles for a while.

22 short case with the 60 gr bullet to keep the oa length right. Wont stableise in some rifles but in fast twist barrels are very accurate. Not a bad outdoor target and bunny round but you do need to get the distance right.

How were they for accuracy Mighty Boosh ?

My jw 15 shoots best with the Winchester 42 or 40gr subs. They are quite notably louder than 36gr Winchester though. I've got a few of the bullets back, I'll digg out a photo. They expand well

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...d.php?p=331583
    This thread is about the Winchesters I use including pics of retrieved projectile

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    If you are shooting rabbits then for all intensive purposes higher velocity only really affects the trajectory. (A bit easier to hit longer shots with a faster flatter trajectory.)

As for energy and impact, I have shot with many many brands and types of 22 from ultra slow (or super quiet) at 800fps through to hyper speed of 1500 fps or more. And I can tell you they ALL punch straight through a rabbit and disappear out the other side. All the extra energy does is make a deeper hole in whatever was behind the rabbit.

Try a few different brands of subs and see what your rifle likes. It is not an expensive exercise and it is fun. CCI subs have a good rep, as does Winchester and Kilwell. I have had success with Highland and they do two different subs, subsonic around the 1000fps and super quiet at around 800fps.
    This is my experience too. Even the 36gr PMX subs would go right through the length of a rabbit and exit. After several dozen I have still not recovered a projectile of any type with subs or standard velocity. My rifle really liked the 36gr subs and anything out to 110m was a bang flop but now that rabbit numbers are down I just use standard velocity or the 223.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My fully suppressed Ruger 10/22 shoots 3 holes touching at 25m, and a 26mm group at 75m, using CCI subsonics. BUT, every rifle has an ammo brand that it prefers over all others. You need to experiment. There's no one brand that fits all , Mighty Boosh.
    MB likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    How were they for accuracy Mighty Boosh ?
    Identical to the Mini-mags at 50 metres. Less good groupings at 70 metres, but still acceptable. Was hitting 2 inch metal discs 100% of the time. Also, I didn't try the Mini-mags at 70 metres, so can't do a direct comparison.