Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Subsonic 22LR round for hunting?

I've just been using Remington Subsonics in my suppressed ruger 10/22, 38 gr. Its pretty average ammo to be fair. Its quite variable and a number of rounds fired through gave off a much louder crack. I suspect the QC in manufacture is pretty poor and powder loads are larger in some giving supersonic performance. I have had much better performance from Winchester ammo.
    With the remingtons i did hit a magpie from about 200m but it just jumped back up and flew off.

Quote Originally Posted by i41do2 View Post
    I've just been using Remington Subsonics in my suppressed ruger 10/22, 38 gr. Its pretty average ammo to be fair. Its quite variable and a number of rounds fired through gave off a much louder crack. I suspect the QC in manufacture is pretty poor and powder loads are larger in some giving supersonic performance. I have had much better performance from Winchester ammo.
    With the remingtons i did hit a magpie from about 200m but it just jumped back up and flew off.
    I bought a 500 box of the 40gr Remington Subsonics and found exactly the same thing, It is rubbish!! 1 in about 7 comes out supersonic. I've relegated it to backup ammo or stuff to practice / dick around with
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have found the Winchester 40 gr sub's to be great. I worked for the Pest Destruction Board here in the BOP for 30 plus years and have used many thousands of rounds of both Sub and Super on Rabbits, Hares, Possums, Wallabies, goats( a few)
    Most of my shooting was at night and using a Ruger 10/22 of which I had very few problems, only when the rifle was rather dirty form lots of rounds (5000 plus)did I start getting a few jams. Once cleaned back to trouble free shooting till dirty again. I found that most of the bullets recovered from animals were nicely mushroomed usually double the diameter and still retained a lot of there weight. Out to 70-80 meters they were excellent killers and in my Ruger's they always shot very well. Still use them today as they are hard to beat.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Finally managed to recover a 40gn CCI Sub from a rabbit. I was pleasantly surprised to see it mushroomed out, but totally held together. 37grains when I weighed it.
    The rabbit was shot from 50m, through the top of the head, and the bullet was resting just under the skin on the back of the back leg. This amount of penetration would explain why after a few bricks of ammo, this is the first whole bullet I have recovered.

After finally running out of Aussie made win subs all bought 20 years ago (30 000) rounds and not having any luck with the Yank made replacement I have been using CCI standard which I batch through a rim thickness gauge and then run through a Waltz sizer hollow pointer.A bit of shagging around but gives me something to do during down time at work.Removes a lot of the fliers and saves $30 per brick.Hits hard and shoots well in my jw15(One out of the first shipment brought to NZ 30 years ago,will NEVER part with it) my 10/22 and my fathers old Springfield also shoot well with this ammo.

Heres a pic of the recovered CCI Sub

Name:  _MG_0255.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  999.7 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    Who is stocking the CCI 40 grainers?
    I wouldn't mind trying some.

I tried some other brands but they didn't go well through my rifle. They were too long for my Mosquito as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Got mine from Guncity - $90 / 500.