Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Taumarunui golf club cat / Facebook mob

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    High Voltage the higher the better.

Nah, seriously, Electric fence, small battery powered job connected to low wires, they make a hell of noise when they touch and run off all frazzled/fluffed up.
    Bloody hilarious..
    Bloody good idea!! I’ve got an old solar unit sitting at the olds place. Cheers

corgi x 2 works at our place

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yeah I live on the road where people dump cats in my area to "set them free"

I have this problem too, with a constant supply of half starved kittens left down the end of the road. Which is part of the reason why we have 5 pet cats
    Mintie likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Cat just climbed in my lap and is deciding between olympics or reading NZHS forum…might not let her read this thread…
    Name:  AD280D16-9DD2-4953-B3EF-52429B74F6F2.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  2.26 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yep same here , live rural and have had so many cats dumped on the road. Have to be a bit careful now as neighbours are popping up more and more as farms are being subdivided along the road.
    Ive shot four cats and some kittens since ive lived here , sister in law who runs the farm tells me 'if you see a cat shoot it' .
    I know what the neighbours cat looks like so i leave that one alone , but the rest of them , get lead sandwhiches.
    Its interesting though , cats are clever . One ferral cat on the farm , as soon as you find it or disturb it , moves location time and time again. Have been looking for the bastard for fuck knows how long now. It wont go into a trap and is a big wooly bastard. A smart wooly bastard ! Ill get em eventually.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    You should’ve seen the back lash that ITM Marton got after the counter cat Rodney (that no bugger could even get near) was dumped out of town by some of the workers. They were getting death threats from overseas, it was a bloody shit show!! Google Rodney the cat and you’ll get 10s of bloody articles pop up. It was Karen’s to the power of 100.

I’m sick to death of the neighbours cats shitting on our lawn and vegie gardens, I like the neighbours, they’re good people. Apart from letting their bloody cats roam. Has anyone got any non violent solutions to the issue that they’ve had success with?
    hose them on sight....the wetter the better...sprinkler onto hose,hooked to washing machine tap inside,works for barking dog too,they dont know where its coming from,the hose suddenly comes to life.
    but a dog loose in section is by far the best cat deterent...one of these days our cat will get in scrap and vault back over home fence and cat following her will land in waiting jaws of our dog....been close a few times now....and our cat stays at home all night,is fed so much doesnt need to eat anything else...and in 6 mths has caught 3 waxeyes,its not uncommon to have 30 of them eating the containers of fat I leave out for them.

I’m very close to getting a live capture possum trap, catching the bugger and dealing to it with the hose while spraying it with that cat deterrent you can buy. I think it’d pick up the association of the water to the deterrent pretty quick.

You can get a sprinkler with a motion detector used to stop pigeons shitting everywhere it would work on cats.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    A) really?
    B) if you use, or allow your property to be used in the wanton destruction of wildlife, or to annoy or others...
    Property is pretty broadly defined in the Crimes Act, so S269 could apply. Cats have common law rights of trespass and are also considered property under common law.

I neither use, or allow my cats to be used to annoy (annoy hasn’t yet been criminalised by our dear leader) or cause damage, regardless, what the cat does is not likely to be something I am liable for (common law again) though I do take steps to mitigate the risk of the cat doing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I have this problem too, with a constant supply of half starved kittens left down the end of the road. Which is part of the reason why we have 5 pet cats
    my missus got a live capture trap for her birthday (from me) that collapses and goes in the back of her car
    she catches heaps of them and has three cats of her own but dropps all the "not too far gone" kittens that havent developed into complete psychopaths' get taken to the spca
    anything older gets the lead pill

I cannot stress it enough either let the cat out of you live capture trap without harming it or kill it immediately
    anything else will constitute animal abuse and will leave you open to become the next big social media case as they drag you thru the courts
    any form of teaching it a lesson while in a trap and then letting it go will be delt with very seriously
    Flyblown likes this.

https://youtu.be/ElcviGYMb3U
    I helped a mate make a cat deterrent with a washing machine solenoid valve a sprinkler and a motion sensor, it worked well and auto watered his vegetable garden.
    I believe spraying pest animals with water is SPCA approved.
    We have a dog and no cat issues but our neighbour has a beautiful tabby that our dog has almost got hold of more than once, I would hate that to happen but don’t want it in our vegetable garden.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    We have a dog and no cat issues but our neighbour has a beautiful tabby that our dog has almost got hold of more than once, I would hate that to happen but don’t want it in our vegetable garden.
    I’ve run into the problem of my dogs catching wandering cats in our property… it certainly isn’t a positive step towards friendly neighbour relations. I always remember this article from a few years back because of the interview with the cat owner…

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/870...o-his-backyard
    Puffin, kbrebs and 2post like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    ...Any evidence to back this up?
    The fun part with common law is that it’s not written down, but found in case law and I’m not scrolling through pages of Lexis Nexus without someone paying for it.

If you check the law society pages wrt trespass and nuisance, you’ll find some info there.

In a nutshell, dogs are regulated and have specific (statue) laws laying down owners responsibility. Cats are not highly regulated, falling under common (case law) in most respects.
    Puffin and Flyblown like this.

Cat owners do have a duty of care to protect their pets though. Letting them wander could be considered failing in that duty.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclebob View Post
    In a nutshell, dogs are regulated and have specific (statue) laws laying down owners responsibility. Cats are not highly regulated, falling under common (case law) in most respects.
    This is the area that Gareth Morgan was working on through the National Cat Management Strategy. He got quite a head of steam going for a while but it seems to have petered out in the last couple of years. He wanted cats to be subject to the same kind of statute laws that dogs are. And the NZVC agreed and changed their policy in 2018, the first time they explicitly said cats should be kept on the owner’s property. Regional bylaws were drafted to demand that domestic cats are microchipped and registered, e.g. Wellington City in 2016. It’s a bloody slow & contentious process though and I wonder if we will ever see cats subject to the same laws as dogs.

Politically it’s a hot potato because cat owners are often a one-eyed bunch who hysterically object to any potential consequences for Tiddles’ nuisance behaviour. The problem for New Zealand law making is that we have one of the highest cat ownership rates in the world, if not #1, and I can just imagine any government being highly reluctant to pass a bill clamping down on cat owners when probably more than half the voting population would object!
    Just...say...the...word