Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1080 Drop on Ruakumara Ranges - FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I can’t see anywhere where it was handed back to Iwi.
    No its still crown land. But co-ownership in the restoration project. I think people confuse this section of forest with the Te Urewera.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ration-project
    Jukes likes this.

Does DoC usually provide info about upcoming operations if asked? i.e. location and proposed timeframe, or do you only come by this information from someone in-the-know?

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Does DoC usually provide info about upcoming operations if asked? i.e. location and proposed timeframe, or do you only come by this information from someone in-the-know?
    DOC regularly updates it website here for pesticide summaries. As a hunter its your responsibility to check these before hunting any DOC land.

https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...sticidesummary
    HG Man likes this.

No one said it was “handed back” but there is a partnership on management of the area. Plenty of articles as far back as 2019 if anyone cares to read them. I guess the Iwi land comment I made was seen as handed back. no not handed back to its original owners at this point as a whole range, However the area right around Mt Hikurangi was handed back a few years ago but they didn’t make a big fuss about it and many guys who hunt it still don’t realise that it’s not included in their doc permit.

Ned
    I don't know how consistently that happens though?
    And when they have a big window for application dates, I still don't see why once the application has happened, they can't just trigger an email to anyone holding a permit. It'd be a pretty simple trigger in their system given they have (a) your email address, (b) the start and end date of your permit and (c) which areas you've ticked.
    Then anyone applying for a permit after the application date will see the up to date map and know already.

For areas that have maybe a several month window for application, it's just unnecessarily putting hunters off going in, when they don't know for sure when the operation is actually starting. Or if it's been canned/postponed.

Start prefeeding behind waikura and te kumi Sunday 14 May, no dogs for 8 months