Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: .223 bullet deflection from twigs and branches

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Res...ead/22726.html

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Res...ead/21078.html

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Res...ead/21724.html

fair bit to wade through AND NOT DONE BY Nathan........ interesting results ,will answer your question Ben.....and then some

One neat thing about the .223 is that they are so accurate and easy to shoot you can thread your shots through (or rather around) sticks and shit and avoid hitting them. All I need to see is a bit of the kill zone and I can mostly get a shot into them.

Like in these pics. And in thicker scrub too.

Name:  IMG_2093.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  4.13 MB

Name:  IMG_2235.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  5.28 MB
    tikka, viper, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    12ga solid slug? One of those things that is kind of largely immune to small stuff that causes deflection with smaller rounds, you do get a bit of movement but really you have to be getting something in the 'firewood' size to really knock it off course.
    I USED TO think that...then tried it,and they bounce WORSE than 30/06...infact Ive had one bouce all around wool shed and nearly got my leg after passing through head of big ram and bouncing around the walls...

Thats some mean deflection from a D20 (152mm dia) projectile, off a watermelon. Skip to 15min25 if you don't want to watch 16 minutes of fun shit

After watching that I think you may reassess just how un deflectable a 12 guage slug is

Amazing the yaw induced on that 76mm projectile just after leaving the barrel! HD slo mo certainly gives you an insight into some neat stuff.
    Last edited by XR500; 06-07-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Tahr's pixs crack me up, as a bush bashing sika hunter im used to dealing with obstructions of the woody type and envied the open country hunters but now i see the problem is transferable.
    Most testing on the subject conclude that every bullet can get deflected, big and small.
    The best outcome normally comes from not hitting wood before an animal and the second best i find is to have enough bullet weight and energy to still get the job done.
    Take this as my opinion only, im not looking for a fight
    Tahr, Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

IV8888 did a video on this. Their results suggest that heavy, slow moving flat noses like 30/30 and 45/70 punch through that stuff way better. The aussies in Vietnam were said to have generally preferred the L1A1 over the new M16 because of the heavier cartridge for this reason, although it’s still a high velocity spitzer the 7.62 was obviously heavier than the .556, so able to handle the jungle better.
    The major downside of the L1A1 was the weight and semi-auto only which led to some interesting field modifications by the SAS, but that’s a topic for another thread perhaps…

https://youtu.be/P5dve7vAY9I

The “bitch”

Same rule for any calibre. I've had my .308 deflect on small twigs at close range, like 10m away!

Quote Originally Posted by hamish9701 View Post
    IV8888 did a video on this. Their results suggest that heavy, slow moving flat noses like 30/30 and 45/70 punch through that stuff way better. The aussies in Vietnam were said to have generally preferred the L1A1 over the new M16 because of the heavier cartridge for this reason, although it’s still a high velocity spitzer the 7.62 was obviously heavier than the .556, so able to handle the jungle better.
    The major downside of the L1A1 was the weight and semi-auto only which led to some interesting field modifications by the SAS, but that’s a topic for another thread perhaps…
    My old man used to work with a guy that was in Vietnam. He swore by the SLR, said they preferred them over the M16 for penetration power in the jungle (also dropping power). I always wonder if he was legit, this reminded me to look him up and sure enough he's listed as being there in 67 and 70.

He was a big guy too, I remember he scared the shit out of my old man once. They were salmon fishing the mouth of the Rangitata, he hooked up but lost his footing on the gravel and went in. This was the early 80's, back then a fisherman going into the mouth usually resulted in the search for a body. My old man was sure he was going to have tell his missus (then pregnant) he'd drowned. Not this guy, he walked out on the other side of the mouth.

Funny thing, this was 40ish years ago but I still remember it clearly. I think I used to be in such awe of him I hung on every word.
    Micky Duck and hamish9701 like this.

Tried to shoot deer couple times now with Manuka in the way with 7mm08 both times a fail..... clear shot is a must...