Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: .357 vs 44 mag lever action

.357 vs 44 mag lever action

Hey guys after a bit of info looking at getting a lever action and stuck between the 357 and the 44, more so a plinking gun but being so short would be pretty handy size in the thick bush I mainly hunt, I was leaning a bit towards the 357 as I have young family that are coming upto a age where they can come to the range with me, are the 357/44mag sufficient enough on deer? I know shot placement the key as I knock em over with the 223 without any issues but the pistol cartridges is something totally new to me, any info greatly appreciated and if anyone is thinking of selling one please let me know cheers

44 magnum.
    That's it...no argument.
    About the same trajectory, lots more hitting power, makes a bigger hole...what's not to like?
    Yeah, a wee bit more recoil...but we aren't talking 12g slugs here.

and dirt cheap to reload...and VERY easy to reload ever cheaperer with shotgun powder at cowboy action levels for plinking...too easy.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

454 !!
    rossi make one.
    makes 44mag look like a pea shooter
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

I've shot a couple deer with my .44 goes ok not enough penetration for shoulder shots on good sized reds, shallow damage for sure.

just like ANY other cartridge,thats all down to load selection.... the same with .357mag a lot of loads out there were designed with 2 legged target in mind,so terminal expectations are different.if you had poked that same load in just behind leg bones,the chest should be pulp...there is a heap of good info on .44magnum loads in terminal ballistic research site.....
    outlander likes this.

Got mates with 357s and 44s.
    44 definitely better than 357, it's just a bit light in power. I'd rather the 3030, good for hogs point blank but can still wallop a dirty red stag at distance in the bush to. Ammo isn't that dear either but yea 44 over 357
    Grey Kiwi and Micky Duck like this.

I have a .357 lever gun that's shot a lot of goats and a few pigs. Neat little rifle for small game, plinking and target shooting.

Killing power is not spectacular on larger animals and certainly nothing like a .223 with suitable projectiles.

If I were planning to hunt deer I'd get a .44 mag, no question.
    Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.

Elmer Keith will be turning in his grave.......loaded up HOT like he designed it to be ,right at the beginning and its an awesome round...... Ive fired it stuff all but seen its terminal effects...
    the 30/30 is definately in different class... but Ive always had soft spot for it as shot a lot of animals with one as a teenager,never felt undergunned.

This morning was good example with the 3030.
    Hounds had a nasty boar bailed up in the base of a rotten mairi tree, dogs had pokes all over them trying to get at it while I was blowing arse getting up there, I got to about 25-30m from him and it was a big open area between me and the pig, he wouldve broken if i had to get closer to shoot with a 357 etc and dogs end up getting smashed.
    The dogs parted to the sides perfectly and I head shot him aiming straight at the sweet spot, just good having a bit flatter shooting rifle with plenty grunt. They are a bit noisier though.
    Name:  20221029_083710.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  6.62 MB
    Bill999, 308, kiwigreen and 2 others like this.

fark its a breath of fresh air reading that....GOOD ON YOU for shooting pig instead of asking your faithful hounds to hold it... far better idea all around.
    I used to love the winchester silvertip loads in the dirty30.
    rugerman and Pongo12 like this.

+1 for 357mag on goats and for plinking. Haven't shot fallow or (bush) Sika with it yet but seeing how it goes on goats would have no qualms. 20in barrel tho not 16in. And I now have a Vortex x2 Moa red dot on mine which makes it super accurate. I run 158gr RN and FP powder coated projectiles at up to 1400fps in 38sp and 1800fps in 357mag. Never shot pigs, no experience there but if stalking them as per deer I would have a go. As you said, shot placement critical. I also have the Rossi in 44mag, 44-40 and 454 Casull. Have only hunted with the 357 to date.
    300CALMAN and outlander like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Name:  IMG20221022075115.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  3.38 MB

Definitely the best cal for shooting pigs in the bail though. Mine is suppressed and has next to no recoil, the .44sp ammo is fun to plink with too. Without a suppressor it definitely has a bit of noise to it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for all the info guys, was leaning towards the 357 for the ability to shoot the 38spl with the kids, mainly hunt fallow I small tight pockets of bush and the odd peacock from time to time as that's all we get up here in Dorkland ��
    300CALMAN likes this.

I have killed plenty of deer with my 44s over the years,kills well at bush ranges ,can load mild loads for the kids to shoot using cast bullets and trail boss powder,a heavy cast bullet going at moderate speed will pass through any deer in nz I reakon.