Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: .357 vs 44 mag lever action

Quote Originally Posted by Countryside View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys, was leaning towards the 357 for the ability to shoot the 38spl with the kids, mainly hunt fallow I small tight pockets of bush and the odd peacock from time to time as that's all we get up here in Dorkland ��
    One of the marlin csbls in stainless is the way to go in 357/38
    Use the hornady xtps in 158 with full power win296 or 2205. Also the most accurate load around.
    For plinking you can use cast bullets or cheaper 158 plated loads with powders like unique in 38 cases

I’m using the 30/30 and Carnt fault it for knock down on pigs and have shot Deer out to 200 with it at times, the one negative is it is very loud in the bush, especially when shooting over dogs. Was wondering if anybody has ever or if it is doable to cut down the mag tube and over barrel suppress a lever 30/30?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    I’m using the 30/30 and Carnt fault it for knock down on pigs and have shot Deer out to 200 with it at times, the one negative is it is very loud in the bush, especially when shooting over dogs. Was wondering if anybody has ever or if it is doable to cut down the mag tube and over barrel suppress a lever 30/30?
    yes plenty of folks have done just that..... not a hard job at all ,we dont really need the full length magazines capacity MOST of the time so no huge deal there either. pretty sure mag to end of forestock still holds 3 if not 4 rounds.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    just dont do it to a collectable 30-30 ....... a remlin or rossi is fine you wont devalue it too much more than natural depreciation
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've shot a few goats using the hornady 357 cal 158gr XTP hollow point at around the 14-1600 fps mark. Very effective, on side on chest shots it pass right on through and leaves a nice .75-1" exit hole. (Not much density in a typical small goat.)
    The heavier lead slugs at 1000-1100fps are fine for plinking but I would save them for close up finishing shots to the head etc.
    My experience is that unless your shot placement is very good you will get a runner.
    Z