Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Advice for DIY tahr hunt for nonresident

You have had a lot of great advice and FWIW here is mine.

It seems that the ballot areas have a lot of tahr, but does that make the trophy potential better? Overall probably. But part of the attraction / trophy is the amazing country.
    is anywhere that rents out tents that could be used as a base camp? Not that know about. Many people take small tents and if the weather is bad, just delay or shorten the trip to avoid days and days in the tent. Getting the weather right is key, have a west coast plan and an east coast plan. Its not often that both sides of the southern alps have terrible weather.
    Notice that non-ballot areas tend to contain a lot of huts, but do these areas have good numbers of tahr and have a chance of harvesting a chamois also? Yes.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I am willing to trade information about hunting here in the states. Please send me info on elk hunting spots in western MT Only joking but i am planning to apply for a MT big game combo next year to hunt deer and elk. I should draw as I'll have two points.
    PM me if you want more info.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_lunatic View Post
    Harrison? You ever spent time in the Pony Bar?

Although elk aren't really considered mountain hunting I've been hiking into alpine lakes here for 10 years in some nasty country and have started hunting sheep here over the last couple years in some of the most rugged country in Montana and have hunted late into November (haven't been successful yet). It got me hooked on mountain hunting and I go look for mountain goats for fun now (also if I ever draw the tag it will hopefully make it easier to harvest one). I also did a DIY Barbary sheep hunt in 2018 with only 4 days to hunt since I was also visiting family and ended up harvesting one. And yeah I would definitely try to holdout for a mature bull tahr and maybe harvest a nanny or 2 for meat and hides. And I'm no expert on being in the steep stuff in winter, but I've spent a little time doing it at least enough to know one mistake can be deadly.

Country I was hunting in November for sheep. Ended up having snow crack and made me decide to turn around.
    Attachment 134032

Goat I ran into on a wind blown ridge while bear hunting last spring
    Attachment 134033

Trying to get to 5 posts to be able to pm people
    I was there a few time in November. My parents and grandparents are on the wall. I take it you've been doing the unlimited hunts. I was planning on doing them one year but as a non res it's a spendy hunt for such low odds. Although the experience would be worth it atleast once.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I was there a few time in November. My parents and grandparents are on the wall. I take it you've been doing the unlimited hunts. I was planning on doing them one year but as a non res it's a spendy hunt for such low odds. Although the experience would be worth it atleast once.
    That’s a bit rough, are they euro or shoulder mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ishoot10s, 257weatherby and Stocky like this.

Apart from the usual "under-estimating" the nature of NZ terrain and weather the biggest mistake I see visiting hunters make is trying for "the main event" first. You seem to be allowing a bit of time, thats good (pushing the limits to make deadlines is what leads to most tragedies in our mountains) - use it by going on less ambitious hunts of a couple of days each in moderate terrain to gain an understanding of what you are facing . . . acclimatize!

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    That’s a bit rough, are they euro or shoulder mount?

Just a euros mate. poor capes a tad wrinkly to mount hahaha
    ishoot10s, gonebush and ROKTOY like this.

MSL
    Haha