Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Advice on gaiters.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cam...a5be8dbd75db1f

these are great...I cut the rubber strap n buckles off bottom as dont need them with ashley laceup gummies..... they last way longer than they should and at the price it doesnt hurt when they die. on wet day wear them over boots but UNDER trousers...water goes down trou and out over gaiters and feet stay dry for ages.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    pretty happy with the cactus ones.once they are worn in they are not so noisy anymore. if you go carefully they are fine for bush stalking i recon.
    The ones with foam or the other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    Morning all, I wear a pair of gaiters winter summer all year really. I have had huntexh, hunters element, stony creek etc. what would you recommend and why please. I personally like the ones just bellow the knee. Looking for advice thanks.
    Gidday Dale

I'd get a set of these mate! Why, the reviews say it better than i could. I've got a set and have had most of the label brands NZ companies have to offer and none have been as good as these army ones. Factor in the price and theres no reason to even consider anything else! I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

I push my gear really hard pig hunting in some thick nasty country, along with deer hunting and everything else and they stand up to it all.

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...m-gaiters-used
    dale and dannyb like this.

I had this crowd https://www.mountainhighclothing.co.nz make some for my boy. They are top notch and if I needed new ones myself I would go right back to them. Super well made and custom fit for only $95.

longrange308 i got the ones without the shin guard , as i dont just do alpine stuff.

The replies suggest there are a heap of good makes available - I think what is important is you try them on - some of have found don't fit around the calf with heavier pants and longjohns while others are too high and bite you in the back of the leg while you are climbing. Different shapes and sizes - try them first!

Rossiwiz those mountainhighclothing silent ones look like the bees knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Gidday Dale

I'd get a set of these mate! Why, the reviews say it better than i could. I've got a set and have had most of the label brands NZ companies have to offer and none have been as good as these army ones. Factor in the price and theres no reason to even consider anything else! I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

I push my gear really hard pig hunting in some thick nasty country, along with deer hunting and everything else and they stand up to it all.

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...m-gaiters-used
    Yup I also have a set of these and they are great value, haven't felt the need to waste valuable ammo money on more expensive ones yet no doubt there are better ones out there and the padded ones would be great for some applications but can't go past army surplus gortex for value

yeah bushbuck is a no go! Me and a mate both had them blow out in just a couple of uses. Even the new stony creek ones arent that tough. I am going to have a look at wilkins canvas ones for my next set... probably noisy but at least they are made here in CHCH

If you want heavy duty try Hunters Element Venom Gaiters, as the name may suggests they’re built with a reinforced lining to prevent snake bites... they’re tougher than the pinnacles

Buy NZ made . TwinNeedle, Cactus, Swazi. Job done.... the rest are rubbish and will let you down.

B
    JoshC and hotsoup like this.

R93
    I have a set of kuiu ones.

They must not have spear grass in N America as they don't give any protection against that shit.
    They have leaked like a sive everytime I have used them except for the last trip out. Crossed a creek several times and had dry feet until a crossing in the dark where I went over the height of them.
    Can't say I am a fan of them compared to some cheaper sets I have had that are kiwi made.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I've had a great run out of my twinneedle ones. Would recommend them
    +1
    3 years old Dale worn basically every day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    dale likes this.

if your gaiters fall down and like me you spend time scrub bashing or should that read shin bashing through fern...buy cheap pair of soccer shin pads and stick them inside gaiters or better still tack them on with a few stitches....they stay up on own and dont need to be pulled tight to do so.

My Cactus ones don't fall down.

Name:  _20180609_125441.JPG
Views: 880
Size:  791.5 KB
    Last edited by GravelBen; 09-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.