Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Advice for someone from Across the ditch coming to Nz to hunt som Red deer

Advice for someone from Across the ditch coming to Nz to hunt som Red deer

Hi Guys,

This will be my first post on this forum; it's been suggested to me to seek advice for the following.

Im from Aus, Tasmania, to be exact, and it's been my father's dream to hunt red deer alongside me before he gets too old, which is rapidly approaching.

So far, our planning involves flying to the south island, probably Queenstown or Christchurch, either bringing our camping gear or buying/renting some when we arrive and then getting a chopper ride up to a hut somewhere that we can use as a base camp, and then hunting the surrounding area. Hopefully coming across a few opportunities on Red Deer, and fingers crossed at least see some stags.

Most of the people i have spoken to in Tas have suggested going to a ranch or some high fence area; this is exactly not what I want. I place more value in a hard-won 6 pt stag (which I would possibly live to see another day depending on what the NZ sentiment is (whether the deer are killed on sight or more tolerated)) than a 16pt world record that has been bred for hunting in a high fence situation (i would rather go home empty handed).

While I have hunted fallow deer extensively in Tas, I have never hunted any other deer species nor visited NZ before, so I'm uncertain of the conditions. I do know that i don't want to be camping in the snow because i have no experience and feel like its a recipe for disaster.

So initially, I'm chasing broad-stroke information to learn what I need to research specifically. I've looked at the DOC site extensively and have a rough idea of what I'm looking for and the terrain I'm interested in hunting.

If someone is keen to tag along and show us the ropes, that would be fantastic; more than happy to help supply the food for the trip, some beers for afterwards and some cash if necessary.

Fingers crossed we can shoot a Red stag of some description hopefully something nice, and if the opportunity arises, I would love to chase a chamois and maybe even a Tahr, too if we can find them nearby.

Cheers Tim
    Last edited by Timp; 07-06-2023 at 01:53 AM. Reason: posted prematurely

Good luck, plenty of opportunities in the south isle. You're in a fairly miserable place for hunting, tell us a bit of hunting opportunities in tassie.
    Timp likes this.

Caretaker
    Some good honest people on this forum will help you out, and you are going to have the hunt of a lifetime and thoroughly enjoy yourself over here

Let us know what you need and we can help out, might even loan/give you gear and leave it at a members house for you to pick up to help with the hunt

Just ask

Share pictures of your Aussie hunting and you will find people will share in return
    Timp likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum Timp and good on you for not wanting to hunt behind the wire. There are a good number of members here from the South Island that I am sure will be able to give you the advice you seek. @Micky Duck and @Shearer will now see this and I am certain they will help spread the word. One thing to really be aware of is that weather in our high country can turn very quickly so please ensure that you and your dad are adequately prepared to deal with anything that Mother Nature throws your way.
    Shearer and Timp like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

What time of the year are you planning on coming over for your trip Tim? Will make quite a difference on the conditions you are likely to encounter.

Guys, it was me that suggested Tim join up, contribute and ask for some advice. He is a friend of one of my old mates from Tassie back when I was working over there.
    I've got a few ideas for him and will help him where I can, and while I would love to offer to take them out for a hunt, winter is my busiest time of year and I can't commit to anything yet.
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of ideas about, and maybe one or two of you guys might have an opportunity to take them on a mission.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

well Im free pretty much for next month on and off...but Im bush hobbit....unless mousing along through shitty thick bush is your thing I m not a lot of use to you.
    ZQLewis and Timp like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Good luck, plenty of opportunities in the south isle. You're in a fairly miserable place for hunting, tell us a bit of hunting opportunities in Tassie.
    The hunting opportunities are extremely limited, to hunt fallow you must either be mates with the landowner or pay. We have been lucky the last 10 years with being friends of a landowner and shooting possums and wallabies for him most weeks, but his children are taking over the property and are likely removing all the current shooters in favor of a pay-to-shoot situation. We have limited public land access and a few ballot systems, but ive been told that you have more chances of seeing another hunter than deer in either of these options.

meanwhile, some of the biggest farms with the most deer are now paying for aerial culling rather than allow hunters to handle the deer populations, its all gone to shit really. they are also aerial culling our national parks as the fallow have spread into them as well, but they dont want hunters walking around the national parks chasing the deer and would rather pay for the aerial culling.

I have no real constraints on when to come over, but I don't think I would be really confident hunting in the dangerously cold/snow as I don't have any experience, when I spoke with JoshC from this forum he suggested the reds should have antlers for a while into spring before they lost them. so I'm debating whether to try and look at hunting in spring before they drop their antlers or waiting till the roar or just after next year.

Gidday. One of the best things you can do is to have an "acclimatizing" pre the main hunt sort of trip. Ive raken heaps of visitors goat or wallaby shooting so they get an idea of terrain, conditions and most importantly "get their minds round NZ hunting" itll be 2 or 3 days well spent, if needs be you can get into town to adjust gear etc.

Cheers
    Shearer likes this.

If you fly in and base yourself in a hut that pretty well give a two hour radius around the hut that gets heavily hunted

I prefer to be 3 or 4 hours from a hut and camp.
    Then pretty well hunting virgin country all the time.

And you don't have to be in the back of beyond.
    Deer numbers in the South island are the highest they've been since the 70s
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    If you fly in and base yourself in a hut that pretty well give a two hour radius around the hut that gets heavily hunted

I prefer to be 3 or 4 hours from a hut and camp.
    Then pretty well hunting virgin country all the time.

And you don't have to be in the back of beyond.
    Deer numbers in the South island are the highest they've been since the 70s
    That makes sense, i think it would be a missed opportunity not to make use of flying somewhere with a helicopter if nothing else but for the experience, maybe it would be a good idea to go somewhere where we know there's a hut not too far away just in case things go sideways.

that way we will also be in an area that will still have good deer numbers as well.

Also like you have there is a lot of free range private land hunting available for a fee (Not High fence but free range, often into DOC land). The behind high wire stuff is largely targeted at the US and Northern hemisphere markets .
    Stags probably hold antlers up until September.
    So if you are looking at a late July-August September hunt to get one with antlers then our weather can get quite serious up high.

I can't help with locations as I'm North island based.
    I would suggest spending a lot of time on the DOC website and making contact with some of the local Helicopter operators.
    You may need to keep a couple of locations in mind and decide on which one subject to weather forecasts the day before. East or west side of the divide. At that time of the year you are probably looking at basing yourself on a valley floor and hunting up into the bush.

If you can hold of until Feb-March then flying in up high and camping is a much more doable option. Then you are glassing and hunting down into the side gut heads.
    Z

Shame @JoshC may not be available to get you out. I am positive he could get you onto an animal you would be more than happy with.
    As others have said, do some homework and give yourself plenty of options so you can change plans as the weather dictates. Once you have set some dates there will be any number of forum members willing to give you a hand getting onto some animals.
    Timp likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Probably best to target mid February, antlers just stripped or stripping. Warm weather and plenty of hours in the day.

Many stags will drop antler in August, or anything worth shooting. It’s still cold and plenty of snow about. Stags are quite dormant in the winter compared to the warmer months when they are up high. Also easier spotting in the warmer months with really red coats.

Happy to help with a good spot if coming in to Christchurch, but prefer by PM rather than advertise to the internet.