Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: For all the farmers complaining about deer, goats and other pests

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ormyr View Post
    It does to be fair say 'no cost to you' implying no charge to farmers. But I agree everyone here would happily offer this service and probably even split the meat lol
    Propably, and if you get yourself onto a block then good on you.

Benefit in using us is we come with references from other farmers that can vouch for us, it builds trust to the point where we have had some farmers let us on their block without even meeting us. just all over email & Phone, we have formal processes around H&S and documentation covering what we can and cannot do to make sure its all above board and safe.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

I too am a newbie and from ZAR. Can I get in on this too? DOC got rid of the goats on the land belonging to the only farmer I've made friends with

Quote Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
    I too am a newbie and from ZAR. Can I get in on this too? DOC got rid of the goats on the land belonging to the only farmer I've made friends with
    ZAR = South African Rand..?

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    South African Republic (Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek)
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek. Kind of the Equivalent of saying your from Van Dieman's Land instead of Tasmania or Nieu (new) Zealand instead of Aotearoa. Well, i thought it was funny...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Walking my rifle
    DCN808T

Unfortunately i cant help you there mate. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice on doc land hunting. Plenty animals down on your island

Walking my rifle
    Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek. Kind of the Equivalent of saying your from Van Dieman's Land instead of Tasmania or Nieu (new) Zealand instead of Aotearoa. Well, i thought it was funny...
    im assuming from your username that you are from Transvaal
    takbok likes this.

@DCN808T there is good hunting on public land DOC controlled within 2 hours of CHCH....3 hours will see you shooting wallabies to your hearts content.
    private land "harvesting" is great when you can get it,great to fill freezer..but public land hunting is the bees knees.
    ethos, Moa Hunter and Padox like this.

I think this is a great idea. Hope you can educate the cockies who won’t let anyone on yet they have so many deer on their places it’s insane.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Got your flyer in the mailbox a couple of days ago.
    Good luck.
    Hmmm….not that it’s ‘my’ area but certainly localish to me…working on establishing networks/relationships around the area. Slow n steady wins the race….I hope..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

The deer issue needs to be regional, not per farm. Last week I found 13 flattened spots in one of my hay paddocks, then again the next morning. So not trusting my shooting abilty to take out 13 reds in a single shoot up I grabbed a local guy to give me a hand the following morning. We did the 1k walk to the site in the dark, all set up looking into the area at 5.30 dawn. But nothing there. And no sign they have been back since.

So the properties with very high numbers can be hunted easily but a lot of us farmers have transient populations and can spend many hours looking without seeing anything, then other times seeing heaps of deer (almost exclusively when the rifle is still in the safe). I've had lots of people (including forum memebrs) come look over this place but so far not a single one of them has shot a deer here. Blaming farmers as such is not really fair either. We can all tell stories of losing stock (or farm gear) to poachers, and once people know there are deer about I'm told this poaching problem just gets worse, not better.
    Rusky likes this.

I BELIEVE a survey was done many many many moons ago..by sitting at vantage point with good binoculars for X amount of time Y amount of local deer population will be located...the longer X is the greater Y becomes.
    my experience nearly 2 years ago over Christmas break on mates wee farm confirmed this....in 3 years they had spotted deer half dozen times,never consistant or regular...after 2 weeks I had 14 deer named.....I had watched them for that long can pick out individual animals....and the fat spiker tasted GREAT.Name:  deer.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  527.3 KB this is peeky and po.
    veitnamcam, Steelisreal and XR500 like this.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    The deer issue needs to be regional, not per farm. Last week I found 13 flattened spots in one of my hay paddocks, then again the next morning. So not trusting my shooting abilty to take out 13 reds in a single shoot up I grabbed a local guy to give me a hand the following morning. We did the 1k walk to the site in the dark, all set up looking into the area at 5.30 dawn. But nothing there. And no sign they have been back since.

So the properties with very high numbers can be hunted easily but a lot of us farmers have transient populations and can spend many hours looking without seeing anything, then other times seeing heaps of deer (almost exclusively when the rifle is still in the safe). I've had lots of people (including forum memebrs) come look over this place but so far not a single one of them has shot a deer here. Blaming farmers as such is not really fair either. We can all tell stories of losing stock (or farm gear) to poachers, and once people know there are deer about I'm told this poaching problem just gets worse, not better.
    I agree with this, people need to work together. One property we have shot over 500 goats, and there is still the odd mob that comes through problem is that neighbours dont want shooting, and one even tries to keep them as pets and we often see big mobs on the next door. Without everyone working together the numbers will never really reduce in a meaningful way.
    Micky Duck and Ben Waimata like this.

This thread annoys me as I will pay to shoot deer! Being from another Island and having no contacts, unless you have connections here you are stuffed.
    I'm a 60 year old, somewhat physically disabled, buggered shoulder. Whom doesn't collect off the government, as other half still working. Putting some meat in the freezer would be huge. Frustrating.
    MB, Jhon, Finnwolf and 1 others like this.

Numbers aren't high around here as we still have waro