Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By deer243

Thread: Antler casts and what’s changed in your area

Antler casts and what’s changed in your area

I’ve generally always hunted new country. I like exploring different territory and my success rate is probably lower because of it but it has its rewards. It’s certainly given me an enhanced sense of direction as I tend to take a great deal more notice of my surroundings given the added pressure of traversing unknown terrain.
    These days I’m blessed with having a great deal of convenient spots to hunt very close at hand and now taking the time to really explore small blocks, slowing down, memorising the topography, really paying attention to the details. The payoff is not necessarily shooting something but finding things. In the last month it’s been a nesting pair of Falcons, watched as one flew in with a kill and was joined by a second. This was from a distance of around five metres and for 15-20mins. Also three lots of antler casts which surprisingly I’ve never picked up ever in over 40 years hunting.

Anyway, enough blathering, the point is these are pretty typical of the area but I did get a fleeting glimpse of a stag last month that showed a wider, longer set than the usual. Certainly different enough for me to notice in the short time I viewed him.
    This area is never going to be trophy central but it was good to see some improvement even if was just the one animal.

The question is, for better or worse, what changes have you observed in your local animal populations over the more recent years??

Name:  0AE3513A-39D4-48A4-AEA8-554112034527.jpeg
Views: 261
Size:  593.2 KB
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

One thing i have noticed is the bush is getting thicker and more unhuntable for a bush stalker in some ares that used to be good for a stalker.
    Think its reduced animal numbers from the green rain and goat numbers way down due to being shot.
    Some areas have a little more numbers, some have a little less. Certainly more bush stalkers hunting areas than in the past years which has made things tougher i suppose.

Biggest difference around here was certainly Covid. That year off the next couple have been the best for roaring action in years. The Roar straight after lock down was the best action
    i have ever heard for stags roaring.
    Areas i hunt its quite normal not to hear anything in some areas, or just a few days and thats it. After covid i heard animals earlier than normal, right thru to later than normal.
    Seen no difference in animal head sizes, still generally crap.
    Couple areas that have had years of the green rain but havnt for the past few small signs of deer coming back but the bush is so thick now thjey safe from me lol
    308 and Micky Duck like this.