Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Anyone hunting with a 9.3x62

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Damn MSL , wish I was smart enough to have thought of that
    It is a beautiful Rifle Svaro
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    $300.0
    more than 2 zeros after it
    The forking Stock cost 4500
    Last edited by Sarvo; 04-09-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Damn MSL , wish I was smart enough to have thought of that
    It is a beautiful Rifle Svaro
    Yes it is
    If you held it you be even more impressed.
    I can't use it were I live (scare the living crap out of the neighbours for 2 miles)
    Bought it to take to Russia - but that not going to happen now for 2 years at least
    Worth 4-5k Euro over there. Mind you - those chaps who hunt Boar drives are super rich and just like to show off something that their mates don't/can't have
    Last edited by Sarvo; 04-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Good luck
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    I agree Jakewire. I have seen them for sale around $600-800 for that exact rifle.

I see you can get a new Sauer 100 for about $1200.

Might be the go.

Anyone know how they perform in a short 16-18" barrel
    Key is to keep impact velocities high as most projectiles are designed for heavy game and are fairly stout therefore expansion is an issue. Certainly don't want to try shooting anything below 1800fps.

The speer 270's are quite soft and do alot of damage as you have seen.

The privis also are reasonabley soft but hold together well on deer.

If you did chop the barrel it would be a 150yd gun.

I just chronographed my various 9.3x62 ammunition on hand.
    22" Blaser R93 barrel magna-ported.
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5

PRVI 286 grain reloads 2250 FPS average

Lapua mega 286 grain Factory 1949 FPS average !!!!

Swift A-Frame 300 grain reloads 2126 FPS average

The purpose of this was to pick up some long lost data and work out the MIL corrections to be able to use the reticle of my Leupold MK4 1.5-5 SPR reticle scope.

Name:  SPR_Subtensions02.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  6.3 KB

The 9.3 is zeroed for 100m and I wanted to be know the values and hold over to be able to use the 2.5 MIL marks and clearly marked 5 MIL circle, 10 and 15 MIL marks.
    Obviously this is a close range set up and mostly I just stick the circle over things and shoot.
    But I would like to know where the projectile " might land " a little further out.
    Its a nice light rifle to carry with the short barrel and big hole through it, its my lightest Blaser / barrel /scope combination by far ... so its lively !!

The factory Lapua mega's were astonishingly slow and noticeably softer to shoot.
    I got 100 Swift A-Frame's cheap a few years ago and they are very accurate and seem to at least open well enough to get the job done despite being way over kill.

Has anyone got the numbers on the Factory PRVI 286 grainers that Gunworks are selling ?
    They are so cheap that its not worth reloading.

Probably off on a tangent but do any of you guys use cast bullets in your 9.3s, Im looking for a few to try in an old cape gun in 9.3x 70 R

@Mart Henry shooternz sells them, Check on trademe, he usually has them there.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Yes it is
    If you held it you be even more impressed.
    I can't use it were I live (scare the living crap out of the neighbours for 2 miles)
    Bought it to take to Russia - but that not going to happen now for 2 years at least
    Worth 4-5k Euro over there. Mind you - those chaps who hunt Boar drives are super rich and just like to show off something that their mates don't/can't have
    @Sarvo hope when you go your not flying into St Petersburg. Saw the other day that all firearms are banned from coming through that port just thought I'd give you the heads up. Make sure you take really warm boots and gloves you get very cold while standing waiting during the drives. I ended up buying some cheap snow boots as my feet went like ice blocks on my last driven boar shoot and that was only in France. Good only knows how cold it gets out there!
    Liked the second utube video of all the close calls. Ha when they come in man they come in fast! Most of the guys I shoot with in France do so over open sights our have quick detach mounts as each drive is different. You can be standing in the thick stuff for one and in the open for the next.
    Hope you get out there.
    I'd like to try Turkey as being a Muslim country the general population don't touch boar as it's a dirty animal so they get very BIG.
    Oh love the rifle!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Oh another thing to be aware of is there regs for legal game bullet weight.
    Pretty sure with that canon you will be fine though
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Oh another thing to be aware of is there regs for legal game bullet weight.
    Pretty sure with that canon you will be fine though
    Cheers for that
    I know all about Russian winters.
    More than likely be Hungarian Boar - but yes many Russian regions too.
    I don’t think I will be taking the rifle now - as it won’t be going at least for 2 years (we used to go every year)
    That calibre is also very popular in Germany and Austria.
    I would just love to see the guys look at that customized Husky - they love to have something that their mates can't have.

Anyone on here been to Kamchatka region hunting ??
    (Russia - above Vladavostok)

I've come to this thread a bit late and haven't read the last twenty pages so excuse me if I repeat what's been said.
    I use a 9.3x62 barrel on my Blaser R93.
    Shooting 320 grain Woodleighs at around 2150 fps.
    Test shot on a big Rusa saw him go about 20 metres after a broadside heart explosion.
    Took the set up to Zambia for first time Buffalo hunt as intended.
    First Buff was head on chest shot. Buff staggered about five metres and fell over dead. Range was about 60m.
    Next Buff was another head on but from about 140 m. He ran, fell, got up and staggered to a tree where he sat down very sick. Finished him off to be humane as he was dying.
    Hartebeest was again facing and chest shot saw him run about twenty metres loosing all his hydraulic fluid on the way !
    Love the heavy for calibre moderate speed approach. Quality bullets helped.
    Love the calibre.
    john m and LOC like this.

Nice, there was story on Africahunting recently about a guy shooting 2 giraffe with his 9.3x62. He had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I just chronographed my various 9.3x62 ammunition on hand.
    22" Blaser R93 barrel magna-ported.
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5

PRVI 286 grain reloads 2250 FPS average

Lapua mega 286 grain Factory 1949 FPS average !!!!

Swift A-Frame 300 grain reloads 2126 FPS average

The purpose of this was to pick up some long lost data and work out the MIL corrections to be able to use the reticle of my Leupold MK4 1.5-5 SPR reticle scope.

Attachment 75152

The 9.3 is zeroed for 100m and I wanted to be know the values and hold over to be able to use the 2.5 MIL marks and clearly marked 5 MIL circle, 10 and 15 MIL marks.
    Obviously this is a close range set up and mostly I just stick the circle over things and shoot.
    But I would like to know where the projectile " might land " a little further out.
    Its a nice light rifle to carry with the short barrel and big hole through it, its my lightest Blaser / barrel /scope combination by far ... so its lively !!

The factory Lapua mega's were astonishingly slow and noticeably softer to shoot.
    I got 100 Swift A-Frame's cheap a few years ago and they are very accurate and seem to at least open well enough to get the job done despite being way over kill.

Has anyone got the numbers on the Factory PRVI 286 grainers that Gunworks are selling ?
    They are so cheap that its not worth reloading.
    I picked up some of the PRVI Partizan 9.3x62 285 grain ammo last week.
    $36 / 20 =$1.80 per round so pretty good value compared to reloading.

Average velocity 2229 FPS in my 22" Blaser barrel
    Factory quoted velocity 2263 so bang on considering my shortish barrel.
    Grouped around 30mm and that is with the limitation of the 5 power maximum with 1.5-5 scope.

Makes the very expensive Lapua 286 factory ammo only doing 1949 look pretty flaccid !

Now need to re zero as 60mm high at the moment.
    Then check the 275m hold over calculated for the 2.5 MIL hash mark and Im off to blow a big hole in something tasty.
    stug, john m, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Not sure if anything discussed earlier but want to start load development for my CZ 550 FS.
    I use 2209 in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 7x64 so would like to try it in the 9.3.
    The ADI Site lists 2209 but refers to a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist 64Grs starting weight using a 286 Nos Part.
    Mine is a 20.5" barrel with a 1:14 twist and will be trying 286 Hornady Interlocks.
    Whats your thoughts on powder starting weight?