Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Anyone hunting with a 9.3x62

I see there is a Husky on t/me that looks tidy
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Go for it @outdoorlad

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Yip
    You need it
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Go for it @outdoorlad
    I've got to pay the stock builder first
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Nearly done
    outdoorlad likes this.

Yep go for it they work so much better than the paper ballistics indicate. Jakewire my Husky shoots just the same as yours with that 65+gr load not the fastest but all bullets touching at 100. I will take accuracy over a few extra fps anyday.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

I'm pretty happy now John, was a little bit more wayward before bedding but minute of charging mouse at 25 and closing now.
    Wildman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Well got the old girl back together again and out at the range today
    100 meters 65.3 grains of 2209 with 286gn Hornady SP-RP
    Group shot in two parts as I had difficulty believing the first two and had to go look,
    then settled for the other two and stuffed it up, still happy enough at 100 m for a 50+ year old rifle
    Attachment 61407
    50m rock
    Attachment 61408
    50 meter rock afterwards
    Attachment 61409
    Husqvarna 9.3x62, and Leupold 2.5-8x36
    Attachment 61410
    Nice work mate and beautiful rifle, Managed to tip this young Sika over just before xmas with the 9.3.

Name:  IMG_20161216_203617.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  433.6 KB
    jakewire, veitnamcam, stug and 2 others like this.

xor
    I bought a 9.3x62 Husqvarna to try out the calibre. I need to get it to the range to try out, but I wanted to see if any husky pros can answer some questions for me:

1) The rifle is a plain wood stock in good condition but there is a small crack in the area in front of the trigger guard that needs a repair. Also, I don't see any metal cross bolts anywhere for reinforcement. The recoil lug area is of concern considering the age of the rifle. Should I have a gunsmith install a hidden reinforcement here to potentially save the stock from abuse? Is glass bedding to strengthen the stock worth doing? I like the stock and want to keep it as original as possible, but at the same time I don't want recoil to destroy it either if I can do somethings to stop it before.

2) I'd like to run iron sights on this rifle along with a scope when I feel like it. What kind of rear peep site are people using on these rifles? I'd assume one that fits on a weaver style base is easiest, but I'm worried it could be too high vs. one that could mount on the receiver directly.

3) What scope bases are people running on this rifle? I am going to drop a 1-4 or 1-6X scope on it with 25-30mm tube to keep it light and simple.

4) I'm going to load up Woodleigh bullets in 286gr. Any recommendations on powder (I have 2208 and 2209) and starting loads to work up to?

Looking forward to getting this out to do the business on some deer. Maybe even during the roar. Any input appreciated.

Welcome in XOR
    Lets see
    I cannot help you with 1.
    2, I have the original irons on mine and it will shoot minute of anything at 50yrs, I haver not tried further.
    3. I have weaver bases on mine 2.5-8 scope now.
    4 . I use 2209 for the 286 Hornady SP-RP am getting good accuracy at a slowish 2350 odd.

Hope this was of some use
    There are heaps of people here who know so much more than me. they will chime in.

xor
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Welcome in XOR
    Lets see
    I cannot help you with 1.
    2, I have the original irons on mine and it will shoot minute of anything at 50yrs, I haver not tried further.
    3. I have weaver bases on mine 2.5-8 scope now.
    4 . I use 2209 for the 286 Hornady SP-RP am getting good accuracy at a slowish 2350 odd.

Hope this was of some use
    There are heaps of people here who know so much more than me. they will chime in.
    Cheers. I will take the rifle to the local gunsmith and have them assess the stock.

I'm interested to test out the high velocity small bullet vs. low velocity big bullet debate first-hand. The 9.3 should fit the bill of big and slow. Plus, I'll be ready for any cape buffalo attacks in Fiordland.

The peep sight I'm hoping will be easier to use in darker conditions. I have used peep sights in service rile competitions out to 300+ yards and was hoping something like that could be fitted to this rifle. I don't want the target adjustments, but something rugged that can work like a ghost ring sight if that makes sense. A peep sight that can work reliably out to 100 yards or a little longer would be plenty.
    Last edited by xor; 03-03-2017 at 10:51 PM.

I also looked at whether it was worth looking at ,say 250gr load, faster flatter
    Then though, I have a 30 06 or that
    From what I can gather, 9.3x 62 set at say 2.75 to 3" high at 100 with a 286gr bullet @ 2350 ...........
    Well you do the math.

xor
    Yeah. I have other calibres for faster/flatter too. The 9.3 I am going to roll with the 286gr. as it was intended. I have used pretty light and fast calibres in the past, but at typical hunting ranges they like to turn things into hamburger. I really want to see if the job can be done better with a bigger and slower projectile and not destroy a large amount of meat like a hand grenade going off.

It looks like 3" high at 100 with a 286@2400 will get me to about 225 yards for max point blank. So holding top of shoulders at 300 if I need to push the range. That's plenty for any kind of hunting I'll be doing.

My 1924 Mauser has no cross bolts and the stock is fine apart from a small chip at the tang.
    You probably will find a peep on the bases will be too high for the front sight, but I think Talley do a peep that mounts on their bases.
    Otherwise you might find a side mounted peep that swings out of the way. My old Bsa 22 has a Parker Hale peep like it, but I think they are like hens teeth.

My 1952 Husky has the beechwood stock and no cross bolts it's fine.

Name:  20170304_101613-1.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  697.9 KB

The 9.3x64 on a military Mauser has the cross bolt and came with a Williams peep but I would prefer a steel sight.

Name:  20170304_100852-1.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  702.0 KB

Name:  20170304_100643-1.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  818.0 KB

The most accurate and fastest killing DRT bullet in my 9.3's is the Norma Oryx at 2320 fps from the 62 and 2500 from x64B.

Name:  20170304_105206.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  490.6 KB
    mikee and shooternz like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.