Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Anyone hunting with a 9.3x62

Yep Id like to get a recoil pad fitted, more so as that bloody plastic one sure slides around on the shoulder! Has anyone had a play round with casting their own projectiles for these.. or other calibers?

there is a guy selling 260 grn 9.3 casts on trade me

Wouldnt mind one in a Sako Black Bear or Kodiak for a guiding gun on big game. Someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Wouldnt mind one in a Sako Black Bear or Kodiak for a guiding gun on big game. Someday!
    Nah, If you are guiding you want controlled round feed for anything that can bite you, horn you or trample you!
    john m likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

My plan was to hand the client the gun, climb a tree and say "there he is shoot him"
    Spudattack, john m, CZ Lux and 1 others like this.

but jokes aside, they are controlled feed I'm pretty sure?

Yes huskys are controlled feed. Unsure about sako..
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

I was just being polite, they are. I have a sako 85 Bavarian (you would never guess from my name) and it is along with all Sako 85's

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Lux View Post
    Yep Id like to get a recoil pad fitted, more so as that bloody plastic one sure slides around on the shoulder! Has anyone had a play round with casting their own projectiles for these.. or other calibers?
    Get in contact with Trade Me - Listings from robertw1 He casts his own etc.

I have a 6 cavity mold with one HP 286 grain that I have not used as of yet with 2000 GC's. Had to sort the rifle stock out first before I even thought of reloading for it.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

They say they are, while they are more controlled than a run of the mill push-feed, they are not a true mauser type controlled feed like CZ, Mauser, Winchester, Kimber, Ruger M77 etc.
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Sort of, they are more controlled than a push feed but not a true mauser type non-rotating extractor like the Mauser, Winchester, CZ, Kimber etc. which is what you are after for dangerous game, not putting the Sako down, they are awesome rifles, you just don't see many guides that hunt DG using them because of that reason.

Sorry, PC f-ing around, didn't mean to post that twice, thought it had frozen!

Actually a debate my brother and I have had is that we hope to do hunts on buffalo up north in the next few years and are tossing up between a 9.3x62 and 375H&H, would also be good for thick country sambar hunting. What are your thoughts @Spudattack ?

Both would be fine I have both and would have to toss a coin. 9.3 lighter if a long carry is on the cards but that old Water Buffalo wont know if it is a 9.3x62 or a 375 H&H when you smack him in the chest. Hell I shot over 60 with 44 mag and factory 240 gr a few with a 45-70 and factory lead and some with a 12 ga with steel and lead solids.Also 2 with a bow, mostly on my own with no backup except for the bow hunting where my then to be wife carried the 44 mag just in case,Name:  P1000721 (1000 x 750).jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  196.6 KBName:  P1000726 (1320 x 742).jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  384.0 KB and she can shoot!
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.